• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WHAT IF ...? ANIMATED SERIES (2021)
5 5

424 posts in this topic

Just finished binging this show for the first time and I liked how it wrapped up overall, the first episode being my favorite.  There are some logic points that I can't get over though..

Spoiler

In episode 2 T'Challa was kidnapped instead of Peter Quill.  As incompetent as the Ravager henchmen may be, its impossible to imagine how they mistakenly went to the WRONG CONTINENT and even though they had a picture of the WHITE boy, they kidnap the wrong boy.  In order to operate space faring equipment, guns, etc. you have to have a fair level of competence, enough not to make such a hugely unbelievable mistake.

In ep. 3 why didn't Hank just outright kill Fury the way he did with Stark?  He could've killed Romanoff at the same time.

In ep. 5 I didn't buy that Vision would've done such a thing to T'Challa, turning him into Wanda food.  Also Thanos being Zombified wasn't credible, I sincerely doubt with the stones in his possession, he would've allowed himself to be bitten.

In ep. 6 Tony gets Killmonger alone and confronts him with the truth.  He utilizes a robot to deal with him, but it wasn't enough.  Why not have a bunch of them just in case and also why stay in the room during the fight?  And why not tell/show everyone what he did?

I thought ep. 7 was just too damn silly, 'nuff said!

In ep. 8 Ultron bisects Thanos.  Thanos had the rest of the stones and was sliced in two like a hot knife going through butter, sorry but don't buy it.  And more utter goofiness as the Watcher is frothing at the mouth to see Hawkeye pick the right box and folder.  This whole series would've been better if they had skipped over the silliness and kept it serious.  And the whole thing with Arnim Zola being uploaded into an arrow as a virus and perfectly shot by someone who doesn't regularly use a bow, exactly into the eye of Ultron was a bit of a stretch.  She is good, but I mean come on!

Marvel announces new Captain Carter comic about What If...? breakout character

b6db8a9b18168e53c7a88efc3d274e10.jpeg.b2f1d4447df353b59b940de4d180dd13.jpeg 

Anyone who wants to see more of Captain Carter in the wake of her popular appearances in the Disney+ animated series What If...? is in luck, because Marvel announced Friday that they are launching a new five-issue Captain Carter comic series in March.

Marvel first rolled out a Captain America version of Peggy Carter in the mobile game Marvel Puzzle Quest, where she proved so popular she was soon brought into the comics in the pages of Exiles by Saladin Ahmed and Javier Rodriguez. Hayley Atwell's onscreen portrayal of Peggy in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (first in Captain America: The First Avenger, then in her own TV series Agent Carter) boosted the character's mainstream popularity, but also made her British. So the sight of her wielding a vibranium shield emblazoned with the American flag just didn't make sense after a while (at least outside of the anything goes multiversal odyssey of Exiles). So when it was time to bring supersoldier Peggy into the MCU in the first episode of What If...?, Captain Carter was given straightforwardly British insignia.

Kah-Hori

kahhori-standingpose-co3-v002.jpg.53f4714ad987a8bf9de74a23a0aa718d.jpg

"It tells a remarkable story from a Native-Mohawk perspective which is truly unique and historical, and will give the viewers a new, challenging and entertaining perspective on this land's first peoples. The story is dramatic, the characters fully realized, and the action sequences are breathtaking," George told Marvel.com. "The episode is exceptional in another sense--it is done with the complete cooperation of the Mohawk people from dialogue to adornment."

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/10/2023 at 10:29 PM, Bosco685 said:

"It tells a remarkable story from a Native-Mohawk perspective which is truly unique and historical, and will give the viewers a new, challenging and entertaining perspective on this land's first peoples. The story is dramatic, the characters fully realized, and the action sequences are breathtaking," George told Marvel.com. "The episode is exceptional in another sense--it is done with the complete cooperation of the Mohawk people from dialogue to adornment."

Does this have anything to do with comics, or even possibly, what was it, that thing thrown on the trash ...it'll come to me... oh yes, Marvel!

On 3/13/2023 at 12:38 PM, jsilverjanet said:

Marvel/Disney moving further and further away from the comics

"this isn't your dads comic book universe"

I'm okay with a Disney character in a Marvel story. I'm okay with original characters without Marvel provenance. I'm okay with socially progressive or political characters [the X-Men; nearly all of Marvel Comics]. 

I'm trying to understand what went wrong with the MCU post-Thanos. Was it the virus? Some other big historical thingy? An exclusive, even a false or faux or exploitative or just dumb, dedication to the some of the stuff I first mentioned?

I dunno. 

On 3/13/2023 at 4:43 PM, TupennyConan said:

I'm okay with a Disney character in a Marvel story. I'm okay with original characters without Marvel provenance. I'm okay with socially progressive or political characters [the X-Men; nearly all of Marvel Comics]. 

I'm trying to understand what went wrong with the MCU post-Thanos. Was it the virus? Some other big historical thingy? An exclusive, even a false or faux or exploitative or just dumb, dedication to the some of the stuff I first mentioned?

I dunno. 

They killed characters and brought them back by creating the possibility that there are alternate realities 

their solution (to defeat Thanos and bring back characters) resulted in bigger problems that never worked in comics and work even less in movies 

they should have let the characters die (and chosen which ones more wisely) and found a solution that didn’t involve the “multiverse” 

Edited by jsilverjanet

A new change to What If…?’s official listing on Disney+ suggested that the series is indefinitely delayed—with no release date in sight.

Previously, Marvel Studios announced that the second season of its first animated series would be debuting in early 2023. However, three months into the year, there’s no sign of its arrival. A recent rumor from an industry insider claimed that What If…? Season 2 was pushed back into 2024, but neither Marvel nor Disney commented on those claims. Now, another disappointing update is here.

As noticed by Reddit, What If...?’s official ‘Coming Soon’ page received a notable update. While it once read “Early 2023,” the page now says “Coming Soon,” officially confirming that the series is delayed from its expected premiere within the first few months of this year.