• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE WITCHER (12/20/19)
4 4

243 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2023 at 1:32 AM, szav said:

As a huge fan of the books and games, there was no show in the last five years that I'd been looking more forward to than this one.  I forced myself to feel ok with season 1, but was really underwhelmed by season 2 and just couldn't make myself like it.  You had to practically try to make this show bad.

It all made sense after Cavill dumped it and all the info about how he was at odds with the showrunners over their near contempt for the source material and their bastardization of it all.  It's really a disappointment.  I won't be watching season 3 unless it just gets stellar reviews from people who's opinions I trust.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Cavill, but I will not be watching season 3 because of the huge dump the writers/showrunners have taken on the IP.

Yikes

This is a bit of a mess tbh.

Underwhelmed to say the least.

Veered back way too much to the books without doing the groundwork.

Struggling to carry on watching.

Almost beyond belief in terms of bad. Mostly boss girl stuff with some gratuitous man on man sex thrown in to complete the degradation.  I must have missed that plot line in the books. How risque!

Poor Henry.  I await his glorious redemption via Warhammer.

On 7/13/2023 at 5:23 AM, Bosco685 said:

So glad I don't have the game or books background to have such angst.

I'm enjoying this show. Though knowing Cavill as a huge fan knows there should be a different direction is telling.

You should read them Bosco.

It's Ciri's story, not Geralt.

By taking literal paragraphs from book1 and making them whole episodes, the essential groundwork for the actual story wasn't laid.

Now they go and follow the books - without the history, which is essential.

The books in a nutshell - Ciri is a street houdlum with the Rats,of Royal blood, who becomes an interdimensional time-traveller. She has a power that others want (yes I'm being deliberately vague if case people want to read the books)

Yes, time-traveller, through portals, with Alien Elven races to boot.

Oh, and shes gay as well.

It seems they went one way with the TV show, then decided to do a 180 and go back.

She teams up with a Vampire more than she is with Geralt. The friken bard (Dandelion in the books) is a simpering waste of space, yet he really isn't in literature.

The books were brilliant, but just like The Expanse, this is a mockery.

I dread to think what Hollywood will do with Red Rising.

Interesting finale.

Henry Cavill's Witcher taking out a company of soldiers with axe and sword was a heck of a sendoff for his interpretation.

Ciri becoming Falka was a transition will require research on my part to understand the significance to the story.

Not sure how they keep Season 4 interesting after such a major casting change.

"Watching a primer for an HR seminar"

Lol. And would that be a bug...or a feature? Has replaced the age old questions for comic geeks as weve gotten older, that being Betty or Veronica?  Ginger or MaryAnn? Thor or the Hulk?

The author behind Netflix‘s The Witcher franchise had some words about his relationship with the streamer, or lack thereof.

Polish fantasy writer Andrzej Sapkowski says Netflix “never listened” to his ideas for the hit adaptation of his novels and games.

Sapkowski was asked at Vienna Comic-Con last week if he’s given Netflix any feedback and he replied with a laugh, “Maybe, I gave them some ideas, but they never listened to me. But it’s normal.” He then broke into an impression of a Netflix executive and said dismissively, “Who’s this? It’s a writer, it’s nobody.”