• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I didn't feel they had to, but it was definitely interesting to see it confirmed in this episode when she stepped out of Westview.  As soon as I saw the name of the town I just assumed this was Wanda's idealized view of the West, so she's speaking in an American accent because that's what they did in the television shows she saw from Sokovia.

As a child of Eastern European immigrants, I guess I can relate. 

It's funny, in my mind, my mom always sounds100% American. But everyone else says they recognize a distinct accent in her speech.

There's probably a good term paper for some Media Studies student to interpret the show as a commentary on American cultural dominance, and the immigrant experience.

Edited by adampasz

1 minute ago, HighVoltage said:

Yes - Why broadcast it at all?

What would be the point of the broadcast and letting someone see what was going on inside the bubble?

All I can think of is Ultron now.  If Wanda warps reality, everything else I can think of is something he's capable of doing.  But it being him makes so little sense that I still can't fathom him being the one.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

All I can think of is Ultron now.  If Wanda warps reality, everything else I can think of is something he's capable of doing.  But it being him makes so little sense that I still can't fathom him being the one.

It would be cool if Ultron played into it in some way, but not sure I want him to be the Big Bad...

Just now, adampasz said:

It would be cool if Ultron played into it in some way, but not sure I want him to be the Big Bad...

I don't either.  There's such a deep pool of characters to draw from I'd prefer they pull another character from the comics lore.

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

We're clear what's going on?  I'm definitely not.  I can't tell how much of Westview is her doing and how much is someone else, but it does seem clear it's not just her doing everything.  For example I'm now convinced it's not her creating the Wandavision commercials--someone else is doing that.  And someone is doing the filming.  She's not omnsicient, and the scope of what's going on with the show production and broadcasting is well beyond anything I've seen from her in the MCU or comics.

That Lagos commercial had an allusion to Wanda accidentally killing all of those people that led to the Sokovia accords.  Who would put that in there?  ???  Whoever did that has a bizarre sense of humor.  Come to think of it, Ultron had that kind of twisted sense of humor...  hm

You are right in that they could change it up substantially, and we get hit with a real surprise.

But when Wanda emerges from her world it felt like she is very much in control. And she was making it clear nobody was to mess with her hex world as she had everything she needed.

I need to watch that episode again. 40 minutes is not a big schedule impact.

15 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Are the town-folk employees of SWORD - who were working on/dissecting/analyzing the Vision in the video they watched (where Wanda arrives)?
Is that what Herb was trying to tell Viz, when he was cutting through the wall with the hedge clippers? "Hey, Vision - we're SWORD employess, and we're
being held hostage in here! Help!"

Some of them could be because we don't know how many people are in the town, but all of the driver's licenses on their board were from the local area, so I would assume none of those were SWORD employees.  Plus in that scene you're referencing Herb was the one cutting through the wall and we saw his New Jersey driver's license, although we couldn't read what was on it.  The other person in that scene was Agnes, and we have no idea who she was, although most of us are guessing she's Agatha Harkness.  If she was a SWORD employee they would have identified her.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

I don't either.  There's such a deep pool of characters to draw from I'd prefer they pull another character from the comics lore.

I agree.
I wouldn't mind seeing Ultron again at some level of involvement here, but I don't think he should be the main adversary (assuming we have one in play).

I first thought the broadcast was just a byproduct of Wanda's chaotic magic/powers/whatever.
I'm not sure what to think about it now.

3 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

I agree.
I wouldn't mind seeing Ultron again at some level of involvement here, but I don't think he should be the main adversary (assuming we have one in play).

I first thought the broadcast was just a byproduct of Wanda's chaotic magic/powers/whatever.
I'm not sure what to think about it now.

I think MODOK could also achieve everything we're seeing, and that would also explain all of the HYDRA references in the commercials.  But while a candidate, I also don't think it's him because he seems so ridiculous.  If it were him I'm guessing his head is only a little big, not the giant version we see in the comics.  But then that confuses him with the Leader that we've already seen in the Incredible Hulk movie, so I dunno.

Does anyone know if the upcoming MODOK cartoon is going to be a part of MCU canon?

Edited by fantastic_four

Mephisto can do everything we're seeing that Wanda can't except one thing--re-create Vision's mind.  Or at least I've never heard of him having the tech smarts to do it.  Plus him creating a television show and broadcasting it doesn't sound like him.  Whoever is helping Wanda needs extreme tech smarts and a twisted sense of humor, and based upon the HYDRA references in the commercials some connection to HYDRA.

MODOK is still the only character I can think of who checks all of those boxes.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Mephisto can do everything we're seeing that Wanda can't except one thing--re-create Vision's mind.  Or at least I've never heard of him having the tech smarts to do it.  Plus him creating a television show and broadcasting it doesn't sound like him.  Whoever is helping Wanda needs extreme tech smarts and a twisted sense of humor, and based upon the HYDRA references in the commercials some connection to HYDRA.

If HYDRA/A.I.M. are rolled up into different pieces of the same group, then perhaps the 'regular/human' version of MODOK could come into play  as George Tarleton.
That might explain Wanda's reaction to the bee keeper suit?

It would require a tweak of MODOK's origin a bit, as he wasn't a smart guy as a regular human.
Same could apply to Samuel Sterns (the Leader), if Marvel wanted to introduce him here. Then play him out as the Leader and tie him in to Thunderbolt Ross down the road.

4 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

It would require a tweak of MODOK's origin a bit, as he wasn't a smart guy as a regular human.
Same could apply to Samuel Sterns (the Leader), if Marvel wanted to introduce him here. Then play him out as the Leader and tie him in to Thunderbolt Ross down the road.

Yea Tarleton wasn't smart before becoming MODOK, so it seems more likely he's already been enhanced if it's him.

Leader might fit, but I don't recall him having ties to HYDRA.  Does he have a twisted sense of humor in the comics?  I haven't read many with him in it, if any.  He was already introduced in the second Hulk movie, and we saw him transforming into the Leader after Blonsky's final transformation when Hulk's blood seeped into a head wound Blonsky gave him.  A pic of him transforming into the Leader from the film is below.

the-leader-mutating-225124.png?auto=webp

5 minutes ago, adampasz said:

I agree Mephisto is a bit of a stretch. Though somehow this is all supposed to tie into Dr. Strange, so who knows.

What about Dr. Doom? Yes, another stretch, I know. But would be cool.

Would love to see Doom.

What about Zemo? He's smart & he has a history, especially with Sokovia. I know he's slated into Falcon & Winder Soldier, but if anyone could twist the knife
into the Avengers, it would be him.

8 minutes ago, adampasz said:

What about Dr. Doom? Yes, another stretch, I know. But would be cool.

He's smart, but not Stark-smart.  Remember that even Stark and Banner together couldn't create truly sapient AI in Age of Ultron until they studied the Mind stone, and from there they tweaked his Jarvis AI into Ultron, who in turn created Vision.

He's on the list of candidates though, but he doesn't check many of the boxes to be helping Wanda.

Edited by fantastic_four

Just now, HighVoltage said:

What about Zemo? He's smart & he has a history, especially with Sokovia. I know he's slated into Falcon & Winder Soldier, but if anyone could twist the knife
into the Avengers, it would be him.

Does Zemo have the tech smarts to create sapient AI?  I don't recall him displaying any deep technical skill at all in Civil War.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Does Zemo have the tech smarts to create sapient AI?  I don't recall him displaying any deep technical skill at all in Civil War.

No - I don't think Zemo does. But I think he's pretty clever, as evidenced in Civil War.
He could have contacted Wanda regarding the Vision and set this into motion, and then broadcast the hex-bubble.
Maybe Wanda used her powers to put Vision's body back together. Perhaps Zemo (or whomever) gave her some saved/backed-up version of Vision's personality to try and re-integrate
into Vision's body?

Arnim Zola checks all the boxes too.  But he was in Winter Soldier, and last we saw he was destroyed.  Plus he lacks the sense of humor we're seeing in the Wandavision ads.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, HighVoltage said:

No - I don't think Zemo does. But I think he's pretty clever, as evidenced in Civil War.
He could have contacted Wanda regarding the Vision and set this into motion, and then broadcast the hex-bubble.
Maybe Wanda used her powers to put Vision's body back together. Perhaps Zemo (or whomever) gave her some saved/backed-up version of Vision's personality to try and re-integrate
into Vision's body?

Yea, if HYDRA is involved, it could easily be multiple people associated with it.  That's more likely than not, but Zemo couldn't do it alone.  I'll also be surprised if Baron Strucker doesn't show up at some point, but he would need other help as well.

32 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Mephisto can do everything we're seeing that Wanda can't except one thing--re-create Vision's mind.  Or at least I've never heard of him having the tech smarts to do it.  Plus him creating a television show and broadcasting it doesn't sound like him.

I think if Mephisto is introduced in the MCU, one would think it'd be an updated modernized movie Mephisto and not necessarily the traditional archaic version from the comics with the bare chest and loin cloth. It's the devil, full of all the knowledge and vices of modern civilization and then some. If Loki, the Asgardian God of Mischief, can be a modern hip kind of guy, how much more Mephistopheles?