• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s WandaVision (2020)
6 6

3,184 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I posted my theory for this, too. It's comic book movie science, so Marvel can make up whatever rules they want as long as they stick to it. My guess is that a digital binary signal becomes meaningless as it passes through the Multiverse. But perhaps traditional analog radio waves used by old TV's and radios can make it through the Multiverse unscathed, hence, that is why WandaVision is being broadcast analog and why Darcy was able to pick it up through the Hexagon barrier. It also might explain why the drones, which should use a digital signal, can't deliver a video signal once they pass through the Hex.

So why NTSC?  Why not the PAL or SECAM analog formats used outside of the US? Or why ANY analog format that humans would have the slightest clue for how to identify?  The fact that it's being broadcast in the exact analog format that SWORD would be able to more-easily identify and obtain equipment to decode screams that the broadcaster of the signal wanted the people just outside of Westview to pick up and watch the show for themselves.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Very deep research

4vo.gif.9d4997ea78495cc232ee835d988d330d.gif

It's a common sense guess. Skrulls are directly connected to Captain Marvel's circle. We know after Spiderman Far From Home that Nick Fury and the Skrulls are still allies. If Monica Rambeau is involved in something, it makes sense that a Skrull friend would be nearby to help. If chain of command means anything in SWORD, as directed by Director Heyward, a Major in SWORD would not so brazenly defy the Director's orders unless those orders meant nothing to that Major because they are a Skrull.

9 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

So why NTSC?  Why not the PAL or SECAM analog formats used outside of the US?  The fact that it's being broadcast in the exact analog format that SWORD would be able to more-easily identify and obtain screams that the broadcaster of the signal wanted the people just outside of Westview to pick up and watch the show for themselves.

I think differentiating between NTSC and PAL for the purposes of WandaVision might be overthinking it. Maybe NTSC was chosen because that's the only kind of video camera that Agatha Harkness had at the moment or could find at the local pawn shop, which would make sense as it's not that easy to find an old PAL video camera in the United States.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It's a common sense guess. Skrulls are directly connected to Captain Marvel's circle. We know after Spiderman Far From Home that Nick Fury and the Skrulls are still allies. If Monica Rambeau is involved in something, it makes sense that a Skrull friend would be nearby to help. If chain of command means anything in SWORD, as directed by Director Heyward, a Major in SWORD would not so brazenly defy the Director's orders unless those orders meant nothing to that Major because they are a Skrull.

What we need to be careful of is seeing Skrulls and Mephisto in everything we see now. Though of course in a mass-connected franchise part of the fun is determining what hints we can pick up in advance.

So it can 'make sense' if you allow for every little clue being a dog whistle for "OH MY - SKRULLS AND MEPHISTO" you can drive yourself crazy. But that's just obvious observations.

Edited by Bosco685

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

What we need to be careful of is seeing Skrulls and Mephisto in everything we see now. Though of course in a mass-connected franchise part of the fun is determining what hints we can pick up in advance.

So it can 'make sense' if you allow for every little clue being a dog whistle for "OH MY - SKRULLS AND MEPHISTO" you can drive yourself crazy. But that's just obvious observations.

Sure, as I watch Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I'm not going to be thinking, "oh that's a Skrull!". I'm thinking Skrull here because we're dealing with Monica Rambeau who is a life long friend of Skrulls and we have yet to see anybody who could be a Skrull in the show so far until Major Goodner came along. And no, I don't think Director Heyward is a Skrull because Skrulls are the good guys.

There was a theory based on an old interview with Paul Bettany that Mephisto would be played by none other than Al Pacino.  It satisfied the criteria that Pacino admired what Marvel was doing after seeing Guardians of the Galaxy and was interested.  It also satisfied the criteria that Pacino was someone Bettany always wanted to share a scene with. 

Now, if Pacino was ever cast as Mephisto, do you put him in costume?  Do you make him red? 

Because I have to be honest, the best thing ever about, "Devil's Advocate" was that the producers and director had the brilliant idea of portraying the devil as a regular guy and let Pacino be "Pacino".  Who could the 'devil' actually look like?  Anyone. 

image.png.a45d1bf2454e72e8e3d35b2fa72ee850.png

image.thumb.png.bd26fb87c8460e9efeedd4ec52df32d0.png

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Sure, as I watch Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I'm not going to be thinking, "oh that's a Skrull!". I'm thinking Skrull here because we're dealing with Monica Rambeau who is a life long friend of Skrulls and we have yet to see anybody who could be a Skrull in the show so far until Major Goodner came along. And no, I don't think Director Heyward is a Skrull because Skrulls are the good guys.

I wonder if that is going to be the go-forward rule versus like any civilization having good and bad players? I could see them having some dissidents that feel like their Skrull peers sold out.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There was a theory based on an old interview with Paul Bettany that Mephisto would be played by none other than Al Pacino.  It satisfied the criteria that Pacino admired what Marvel was doing after seeing Guardians of the Galaxy and was interested.  It also satisfied the criteria that Pacino was someone Bettany always wanted to share a scene with. 

Now, if Pacino was ever cast as Mephisto, do you put him in costume?  Do you make him red? 

Because I have to be honest, the best thing ever about, "Devil's Advocate" was that the producers and director had the brilliant idea of portraying the devil as a regular guy and let Pacino be "Pacino".  Who could the 'devil' actually look like?  Anyone. 

They'd have to do a little digital makeup on Mr. Pacino. I mean, did you see The Irishman? The man is a master, but he's pretty old.

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think differentiating between NTSC and PAL for the purposes of WandaVision might be overthinking it. Maybe NTSC was chosen because that's the only kind of video camera that Agatha Harkness had at the moment or could find at the local pawn shop, which would make sense as it's not that easy to find an old PAL video camera in the United States.

It's not overthinking it for one simple reason--the majority of people involved in the production of this show knows EVERYTHING about television and film production, inside and out, so while I'm sure most fans will overlook this, it's not something any large production crew behind a camera would.  Whoever is broadcasting Wandavision isn't just using a video camera, they're using multiple cameras from multiple angles, video editing equipment, and a broadcast tower at MINIMUM.  And the commercials are insanely technical--the "Yo Magic" one uses stop-motion claymation, which requires an insanely vertical amount of expertise to produce.  The only thing I can think of that explains all of that is either magic or illusion, in which case choosing the NTSC format isn't coincidence of available technology, it's intent.

I don't see how we can assume Wandavision wasn't meant to be received within our dimension.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yup. I posted an article a page or two back prior to the next "MEPHISTO" series of declarations. I could see this working as one form of Mephisto before he takes on a younger persona.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if that is going to be the go-forward rule versus like any civilization having good and bad players? I could see them having some dissidents that feel like their Skrull peers sold out.

I know Secret Invasion is coming and many are thinking the Skrulls will be the bad guys, but I really think the Invasion will come from another alien race.

15 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So it can 'make sense' if you allow for every little clue being a dog whistle for "OH MY - SKRULLS AND MEPHISTO" you can drive yourself crazy.

Which is why people tend not to enjoy puzzle-piece plots such as those in Lost, Prometheus, The Leftovers, the Matrix sequels, or Wandavision--it drives most people crazy.  But the intent of that kind of story is that you do have to consider MANY different hypotheses and carry them out to conclusion.  That's also how working puzzles works--you look at this piece and see if it fits into that one, over and over, until you find the right ones that fit in the right places.  Not everyone likes puzzles, either, so yea, it's not for everyone, but if you don't try then the puzzle may stay unsolved.

In the case of Lost, the puzzle stayed unsolved for everyone who hadn't already been working diligently to piece it together for years, and that's why such a large chunk of the fans hated the ending--they never got to see what it looked like fully pieced together.  I expect with this show we'll mostly get it pieced together by the end.  But probably not EVERY piece...there's too many pieces to explicitly show all of it in two episodes, even if they're double-length.  I bet there will be hanging threads, some solvable now if you were working the puzzle, some that may be resolved in future MCU works.

17 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I don't see how we can assume Wandavision wasn't meant to be received within our dimension.

Here's why. Particularly in America, no TV stations or radio stations broadcast via radio waves anymore. It's all digital now. Nobody in the vicinity of the Hexagon would have received the WandaVision broadcast because all our TV sets are set up for digital signals. The only reason SWORD is able to see the broadcast is because Darcy Lewis was genius enough to have someone grab an old NTSC TV set and rabbit ears. The WandaVision broadcast was not meant for Earth.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Yup. I posted an article a page or two back prior to the next "MEPHISTO" series of declarations. I could see this working as one form of Mephisto before he takes on a younger persona.

Good point.

I think that there are certain characters that you never need to kill simply for contractual reasons.   A perfect example of this is Chewbacca.  It could be anyone under the mask as long as they learn the movements.  Anyone could be R2-D2... you get the drift.

In the Marvel Universe there is no need to ever kill off Rocket Raccoon, Groot, or anyone else that is constantly under a mask or under heavy makeup like the Red Skull.   And, even if they aren't Marvel and Disney have never been afraid to recast.  (I'm looking at you Terrence Howard and Edward Norton.)

Mephisto is the devil and if they play the role of the Devil taking any human incarnation he wants, then Mephisto could be a big bad for a long time in the Magic realm of the Marvel Universe. 

It could be Pacino this week and anyone the next. 

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Which is why people tend not to enjoy puzzle-piece plots such as those in Lost, Prometheus, The Leftovers, the Matrix sequels, or Wandavision--it drives most people crazy.  But the intent of that kind of story is that you do have to consider MANY different hypotheses and carry them out to conclusion.  That's also how working puzzles works--you look at this piece and see if it fits into that one, over and over, until you find the right ones that fit in the right places.  Not everyone likes puzzles, either, so yea, it's not for everyone, but if you don't try then the puzzle may stay unsolved.

In the case of Lost, the puzzle stayed unsolved for everyone who hadn't already been working diligently to piece it together for years, and that's why such a large chunk of the fans hated the ending--they never got to see what it looked like fully pieced together.  I expect with this show we'll mostly get it pieced together by the end.  But probably not EVERY piece...there's too many pieces to explicitly show all of it in two episodes, even if they're double-length.  I bet there will be hanging threads, some solvable now if you were working the puzzle, some that may be resolved in future MCU works.

But then there were an equal number of fans that LOVED the ending of LOST.   So sometimes I think that is the purpose of shows like those which is to actually divide and keep the viewers talking about the show.

Here we are 11 years since LOST has ended and people still talk about it.  Heck, I even rewatched the whole thing from start to finish last summer and still got something new out of it.  To me, that is a brilliant TV show. 

13 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I know Secret Invasion is coming and many are thinking the Skrulls will be the bad guys, but I really think the Invasion will come from another alien race.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Here's why. Specifically in America, no TV stations or radio stations broadcast via radio waves anymore. It's all digital now. Nobody in the vicinity of the Hexagon would have received the WandaVision broadcast because all our TV sets are set up for digital signals. The only reason SWORD is able to see the broadcast is because Darcy Lewis was genius enough to have someone grab an old NTSC TV set. The WandaVision broadcast was not meant for Earth.

I can get behind this. 

Alright here's my conspiracy theory for this episodes contents, and boy is it a long one.

So if we're going with Agatha as the villain, her motives are what?  Follow me down the rabbit hole if you will...Her rabbits name is Señor Scratchy, her sons name in the comics happens to be Nicholas Scratch. Perhaps magic gone awry has turned him into a rabbit, or maybe she lost him like Wanda lost Vision and she plans to use one of Wanda's children as a new surrogate for her son to inhabit.

We also see a magic tome in her basement. Now what could this ominous book be? It was emanating a lot of evil energy. Is it the Dark hold? Perhaps it's the Necronomicon? Either way how did Agatha come into possession of such a powerful volume? Well could be that she made a deal with Mephisto to get what she wants while he also gets what he wants, say, a twin for each of them? Perhaps it was Cthon certainly he could have a similar motive, but I think we really have to go with there is probably some other higher power at work here. Or maybe it just happens to be her own personal ancient spellbook, but the outcome esentially remains the same. 

Now onto the commercial for this episode. The pills they advertise are called Nexus. Theres really only one thing I can think of to connect this to from the comics, The Nexus of All Realities. Typically this is tied to Man-Thing, everyone's favorite muck monster, as he is the gate keeper to this doorway that allows travel across, you guessed it, the multiverse. Now he's seen a couple mentions across the MCU including a visual depiction on the Grandmasters palace in Thor 3 and a potential cameo (not sure it was ever confirmed) in Guardians 1 as a creature within the Collectors menagerie. So it could be that the Nexus resides within Westview and maybe Man-Thing, it's intended protector, accidentally crossed through it to Sakaar much like Thor and Loki did unintentionally in Ragnarok (also the DEVILS ANUS, anyone?) Now we also know the Collector, and the Grandmaster happen to be brothers within the comics, so after his time as the Grandmasters champion perhaps the Collector requests him for his space zoo as he is a unique organism akin to how he asks the Guardians if he can keep Groot.

Now I realize that's a SERIOUS stretch of plot threads and my more realistic answer is that perhaps Wanda or something in Westview (maybe something to do with all the creepy magic imbued tree roots in Agathas basement? I think the Nexus is usually depicted as a tree) are an anchor point to the Nexus and how all of the realities start to tear apart.

Edited by AJLewandoski

WandaVision fans really want there to be a massive big bad involved with the series. Most are leaning towards a character like Mephisto, who once used pieces of his soul to falsely give the Scarlet Witch twin boys. Others think it could be a character like Nightmare, who has a direct connection to Dr. Strange in the source material. Interestingly enough, the latest episode of the Marvel Studios show laid down some pretty convincing evidence Evan Peters' shady take on Pietro Maximoff could be none other than the mystical Chthon in disguise.

Full spoilers up ahead for the latest episode of WandaVision. Proceed with caution if you've yet to see Episode 7!

As most expected, the latest episode of WandaVision reveals that Agnes (Kathryn Hahn) is really Agatha Harkness. Though the reveal itself surprises few, how they did so introduced a whole new corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the masses. While we've seen magic and mystical art practitioners before through Doctor Strange, there was a certain aura of a classical witch and warlock-type magic at play here. Much darker than what we've seen before.

And, it just so happens to be that Agatha manages to be in possession of a book that's earlier similar to the Darkhold, the ultimate MacGuffin for any Marvel-based magical storytelling. It's through a potential connection to the Darkhold that Chthon could end up being the big bad for WandaVision.

So, who is Chthon?

The villain has long acted opposite the likes of Scarlet Witch, Blade, Modred, and other magic users. He's a being nearly as old as time itself and he's the one who ended up writing the Darkhold. There's even a relatively recent storyline where the villain possessed Quicksilver — see Dark Reign — and fought the Avengers. Conveniently enough, this fight ended when Vision was able to perform a spell and lock Chthon away within the Darkhold itself.

Should that book be the Darkhold, we already have all the recipes for a flawless comic book interpretation. We've seen that Marvel Studios has bent the source material time and time again, so maybe it doesn't even hinge on the book in Agatha's basement being the Darkhold.

If it does turn out to be Chthon, however, maybe Agatha needs Wanda's magic to break him out of the Pietro "husk" to wreak havoc on all reality. After all, Peters could totally play a crazy Cthulhu-like monster in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, right?