• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

Taika's best work is the "What We Do In the Shadows" television show which I was reminded of after just learning season 4 premieres tomorrow night.  The movie of the same name was good, but with the show that followed it he landed actors who deliver his silliness to full dramatic effect.  Boardie Xenosmilus who just posted in this thread last night has a forum avatar that pictures Laszlo from that show.  But I still assume over half of people wouldn't even like that show, and even though I like it at least a third of Taika's humor falls flat to me, which is also true for all of the Monty Python I've seen.  Taika's sense of humor isn't at all mainstream.

I haven't seen all of his movies though.  I won't be surprised if "Jo Jo Rabbit" ends up becoming my favorite work once I see it since it was nominated for six Oscars including Best Picture.  Also haven't seen "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" which has an insanely high RT score at 97%.

Edited by fantastic_four

Saw the movie. Thought it was okay and I agree with what most folks said here. Made Thor a joker , dedicated way to much time to side characters like heimdolls kid, Valkerie, lady Thor. Should have had the guardians in more instead and Ghor. Is it to much to ask to get a serious Thor. I think Disney wants to ruin all the OG heroes depower them to make newer female characters look stronger.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:04 PM, fantastic_four said:

Taika's best work is the "What We Do In the Shadows" television show which I was reminded of after just learning season 4 premieres tomorrow night.  The movie of the same name was good, but with the show that followed it he landed actors who deliver his silliness to full dramatic effect.  Boardie Xenosmilus who just posted in this thread last night has a forum avatar that pictures Laszlo from that show.  But I still assume over half of people wouldn't even like that show, and even though I like it at least a third of Taika's humor falls flat to me, which is also true for all of the Monty Python I've seen.  Taika's sense of humor isn't at all mainstream.

I haven't seen all of his movies though.  I won't be surprised if "Jo Jo Rabbit" ends up becoming my favorite work once I see it since it was nominated for six Oscars including Best Picture.  Also haven't seen "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" which has an insanely high RT score at 97%.

I was very disappointed with Season 3 to be honest... Season 1 and 2 though were excellent and very much recommend them!

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 7/12/2022 at 2:14 AM, The Meta said:

Wish the rating system would just dissolve 

Can my kids watch this? Guess I better see it first and determine that for myself 

What a concept

There are some reviewers that score movies based on whether or not they're appropriate for kids. Like, someone pointed out that this woman gave BvS a 1/5 because she thinks that kids won't get it. The fact that this niche review is counted as a "critic score" is bizarre.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:42 AM, Xenosmilus said:

image.thumb.jpeg.7536ea4b4be7376e9e3594db27a7192f.jpeg

I am not a Halloween fan, and my GF at the time and I were handing out candy.  I clipped a Post-It onto my shirt with Regular Human Bartender written on it  onto my shirt, flipped a toothpick into my mouth and voila!  I was Jackie Daytona.  Very handy, and I will probably do that for the rest of my Halloween life.

Edited by davidpg

On 7/12/2022 at 12:47 AM, Xenosmilus said:

To sum it up in my view, Taika Waititi I like, but he wasn't the appropriate director for a Gorr/Thor movie. It was a missed opportunity for the MCU. A Gorr/Thor sorry arc is a much more dramatic tale where comedy shouldn't have been part of the story.

Every time Gorr was on-screen it felt like a completely different movie, and yea, I wanted to see that movie with Gorr more than the parts without him.

On the one hand Taika seems like an ideal choice for a far sillier character played by a more comedic actor.  Taika's Thor actors have done OK with their delivery, but nowhere near ideal or great for what he's having them say.  Hemsworth does mostly fine, but a lot of his sillier Taika dialogue just comes across as cringey and bad.  Pretty similar with Russell Crowe as Zeus--that's just not Crowe's forte, and he was mediocre at best with that silly shtick he did with Thor.  The best part of Zeus was when he fluttered down the steps and lifted that Olympian skirt in a decidedly and ironically feminine way for someone blustering in such a macho way.  But if you have a better comedic actor deliving Taika's lines then they can pull it off.  On the other hand Thor has had an MCU record four films now, and if Taika hadn't done so well with Ragnarok that almost certainly wouldn't have happened, so I'm definitely glad Feige gave him his two turns at bat.

I'm not entirely sure what the list is of ideal Marvel characters for Taika to tackle.  Deadpool is the first to jump to mind, and certainly Ryan Reynolds is a step up from Hemsworth at comedy.  Are there other wacky Marvel characters I'm forgetting that Taika could do well with?

On 7/12/2022 at 8:06 AM, fantastic_four said:

I'm not entirely sure what the list is of ideal Marvel characters for Taika to tackle.  Deadpool is the first to jump to mind, and certainly Ryan Reynolds is a step up from Hemsworth at comedy.  Are there other wacky Marvel characters I'm forgetting that Taika could do well with?

Foolkiller

download.jpeg.1c24739f0cde93e66b6abece4fa7c06f.jpeg

On 7/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, fantastic_four said:

Are there other wacky Marvel characters I'm forgetting that Taika could do well with?

Squirrel Girl

Howard the Duck

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/11/2022 at 4:07 PM, jsilverjanet said:

It's evident that Thor is a throw away character in Disney's eyes. Not good enough to be on his own, too boring to bring in real money so the keys have been handed to a clown to create buzz, make the character relatable and bring some money.

They would never allow him to do this with a main character like Iron Man or Captain America.

This is the Disney way.

I don't accept this hypothesis.  A more likely explanation is that they've made the decision to align Thor with the "cosmic" corner of their universe, Waititi's style is compatible with what James Gunn has done with GOTG, and they leaned into it.

Now, having said that, we now have to see how they will incorporate the Eternals, whose first movie had a completely different, almost tragic, tone.

My hope is that they will balance the tone of Thor in his next movie (solo or guest appearance).  While I enjoyed this movie for what it was, the depiction of Thor is not what I'm looking for.

Oh god this looks horrific and going in the new awful direction Marvel has chosen.   Of course audiences love it!  :facepalm:
Rotten potatoes review:

There are things that make the film funny, but they don’t make the film good. Too often, Love and Thunder feels like a series of skits, peppered with cameos by actors from Waititi’s other projects.