• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you have a new comic reading ritual?

28 posts in this topic

I follow an evergreen ongoing series - The Walking Dead - and sometimes major plot lines develop over 12 months of issues.   So I have the following reading ritual each time a new book comes out:

1. Re-read last month's issue

2. Read the new issue twice, getting a chance to savor the artwork

3. Read the reader letters 

4. Submit a letter myself if I've got good insights I think other readers will value.

Do you have a ritual for how you go about reading your monthly books?

I got back from a deployment last year, so I've had to go back and re-read some of the series that I missed out while playing in the sandbox.  

So, at this moment, I've finished Transformers: Till All Are One.  I still have two or three other TF series to get through, along with Darth Vader vol 2, Star Wars, Doctor Aphra, and a few other indy titles.  I'll do a binge read of a series though to get caught up.  For me, I've found that works best, and then I can use a wiki or something to remember key points.

I have a lot of recent material I’ve bought digitally, especially large stacks from Humble Bundle and Comixology which I’ve not yet had the opportunity to get through.

Regardless of your preferred format, it’s easy to get caught up again in that trap.

31 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I use silver and golden age books for toilet paper :insane:

That explains some of the stains I've seen on books for sale. B|

I read moderns on the pan too, and if they're no good I use them as toilet paper. I forgot I was reading online with my tablet once though. The book was terrible and I almost ripped my arse open. 

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I read moderns on the pan too, and if they're no good I use them as toilet paper. I forgot I was reading online with my tablet once though. The book was terrible and I almost ripped my arse open. 

You better make sure you don't get any staples up your Arse! :roflmao:

My ritual is to try and read them.  I do fairly well keeping current with ASM & DD but most of the others have a post-it note somewhere in the pile.  For some of those I'll catch up by reading a chunk and for others I've given up and await the inevitable reboot to jump back in !   :D

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

Buy comic and:

1. Get away from as many people as possible so as to enjoy comic in silence without disruption.

2. After reading comic, remain away from as many people as possible as to enjoy silence without disruption. 

Yup.  I frequently read mine now while wearing noise-cancelling headphones; to drown out the fights, swearing, shouting, antisocial behaviour and general background din which often goes on in the street outside.  A quite recent strategy, but effective and comfortable.

I had a ritual, back when I was reading comics as a kid. I would hop on the subway and go to Million Year Picnic in Harvard Square (a couple miles from Boston) to buy the latest new X-Men (this was peak Cockrum-Byrne era). I would buy a soda and some snacks, which was a huge treat for me since my parents didn't really keep stuff like that in the house. I'd take my books and sit under my favorite shady tree in Harvard Yard and savor every panel. I miss that feeling but cannot recreate it.