• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I was being sarcastic about how older generations may not chase what new generations chase.

But this was a great post.

Cheers Roy (and I didn’t spot that!).  I meant to write a brief comment and then got caught up in it. 

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The earliest roots of what was going to be fandom may have started even earlier than that.

I remember when I had my Whiz run of #1-23 that on the inside cover of some early Whiz comics (I believe it was issue #21) before there was even a letters page, Fawcett was encouraging readers to mail in letters and facilitating readers getting in touch with each other. That would have been as early as 1941

I wish I could find a picture I took of the inside cover of that issue but I can't seem to locate it. If anyone has a Fawcett from that era or better yet a Whiz #21, you can see what I'm talking about.

It's the earliest known example I can think of, of publishers allowing readers to congregate.

I do miss those books. The #1 isn't in this group pic.

IMG_0984.jpg

What a nice set of Whiz books!!! …WOW!

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Fandom started with DC.  Julie Schwartz published fan mail in Flash/Mystery In Space and gave out addresses that allowed first fandom fans to connect with each other.  This made possible the first Comic Cons and comic fanzines. 

In general, these fans were very supportive of bringing the superheros back, including lobbying for the inclusion of their favorites.

I'd love to see a deep dive time-line of pop culture influence for both DC and Marvel.  I've mentioned dealers placing ads in comics, but Julie Scnwartz's letters pages and Stan's soapbox in Marvel's SA hero books also played key roles in fandom's growth.  No one thing did it all, ...fandom was fueled by progressive momentum on several fronts.  Fanzines also played a role in fandom's growth, spurred on by these informal social forums.  In one sense, DC's & Marvel's outreach to comic fans became the social media (Facebook & Twitter) of it's day.

:tink:

7 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I'd love to see a deep dive time-line of pop culture influence for both DC and Marvel.  I've mentioned dealers placing ads in comics, but Julie Scnwartz's letters pages and Stan's soapbox in Marvel's SA hero books also played key roles in fandom's growth.  No one thing did it all, ...fandom was fueled by progressive momentum on several fronts.  Fanzines also played a role in fandom's growth, spurred on by these informal social forums.  In one sense, DC's & Marvel's outreach to comic fans became the social media (Facebook & Twitter) of it's day.

All the various methods on interaction plotted on a timeline would be an interesting first step.

Then having people scour the interiors of various comics to see what sort of interaction was happening would be the next step.

For example, I know that Whiz #21 was encouraging kids to reach out to each other but it would be interesting to see subsequent issues with the published letters of those kids and what they were saying.

This would be a heck of a project.

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

All the various methods on interaction plotted on a timeline would be an interesting first step.

Then having people scour the interiors of various comics to see what sort of interaction was happening would be the next step.

For example, I know that Whiz #21 was encouraging kids to reach out to each other but it would be interesting to see subsequent issues with the published letters of those kids and what they were saying.

This would be a heck of a project.

Hadn't considered early GA in this, but you're right.  And EC Fan Addicts as well (was this the first in-house organized fandom).  There were a lot of membership kits, badges, secret-code rings, etc., in the early 40's, but that was mostly PR for the comic characters. 

I recall reading somewhere that there was fan interaction on the Daredevil Comics letter's page later in the 40's, but don't know how strong of a fan base there was for "The Little Wise Guys".  It wouldn't surprise me though if this turned out to be true for numerous lines.  For instance, did Super-snipe have a huge fan base or was the idea of comic collecting just the basis for the comic?

On 6/21/2021 at 11:08 AM, szav said:

I try not to be dismissive of other peoples collectibles but what I really don’t get is how anyone knows or believes what the print run on something like this is.  If I played this modern variant game I would personally be vey worried that marvel pre prints1-10k of all of these supposedly rare variants and just warehouses and slow rolls out the 9.8s over the next 5-10 years, sending them straight to auction houses.

With what this book and a few others sell for you could easily pay for the warehouse space and staff a few people to do this for years.

If they dont do this, they should. Or am I way off, do they have some authenticated and verified tracking system for how many get made and it’s all kept in tight order?

I mean, that's not marvel's MO. They dont like to warehouse ANYTHING.

What i do know is that they FOR SURE overprint the ratio variants. Then they blow them out for $1 a piece to big accounts. I know a friend who worked at a very large comic shop with an internet operation, and sure enough they had bought 1:1000 variants by the hundreds for $1 a piece. i would never trust "rarity" of modern variants.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:49 PM, 10centcomics said:

Sometimes I feel like we have to put down another type of collector to justify the legitimacy of the thing we collect. Let's be real, paying tens of thousands of dollars for any comic book, GA or modern variant, is pretty ridiculous in the grand scheme of things. As others have said above, let people collect what they want to collect. It's not hard to imagine that maybe it's a diehard Spidey fan, a diehard Dell'otto fan (maybe he likes Dell'otto the way we like Alex Schomburg or Matt Baker), a variant collector (a quick Google search tells me this is the top modern variant of the hobby), or a completionist looking to get every issue of ASM and its variants...

So I definitely understand your comment, but disagree with you. Being the initial commenter, I'll happily admit I think it's great someone bought it, whether $10K, $30K, or 1 million dollars. If that's the new owner's cup of tea then more power to them. Doesn't make me understand the sale any more than I did before. That's the beauty of expressing oneself. Sometimes, you don't necessarily understand a perspective and thus feel the need to question it to understand it more. But please don't stifle my perspective or curiosity proclaiming me to have "put someone down", because I disagree or once again don't understand it. It's not about putting others down, just simply trying to gain an understanding of something not usually seen. Paying tens of thousands of dollars for golden age comics that have been around for over 80 years with all their rich history actually makes quite a bit of sense to me. Paying that for modern variants makes much less sense, but then again it's just not my thing.

27 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

I wonder if Star Spangled Comics will finally make a comeback after decades in the tank?

And the Kid Eternity's and Johnny Hazard!

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

So I definitely understand your comment, but disagree with you. Being the initial commenter, I'll happily admit I think it's great someone bought it, whether $10K, $30K, or 1 million dollars. If that's the new owner's cup of tea then more power to them. Doesn't make me understand the sale any more than I did before. That's the beauty of expressing oneself. Sometimes, you don't necessarily understand a perspective and thus feel the need to question it to understand it more. But please don't stifle my perspective or curiosity proclaiming me to have "put someone down", because I disagree or once again don't understand it. It's not about putting others down, just simply trying to gain an understanding of something not usually seen. Paying tens of thousands of dollars for golden age comics that have been around for over 80 years with all their rich history actually makes quite a bit of sense to me. Paying that for modern variants makes much less sense, but then again it's just not my thing.

I totally agree with you on this. It's like how UF4 is right now, the 1st print is a $3000 book in a 9.8 while the Djurdjevic variant is a ridiculous $12,000 in a 9.6 grade. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do with their money but I just think it's insane to drop that kind of money on a variant, especially when it's a modern book.

5 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

180 Promise books plus a bunch of others up now in the Ha preview section, looks like another winner.

Just went over the newly listed books. The Promise collection is truly something. Each auction will be an event.

Quite honestly, ComicConnect should abstain from running any auctions until 2022-23

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Just went over the newly listed books. The Promise collection is truly something. Each auction will be an event.

Quite honestly, ComicConnect should abstain from running any auctions until 2022-23

Even the non Promise books are jaw droppers