• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,896 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2023 at 12:44 PM, Dark Knight said:

The Promise MM 92 CGC 8.5 took a haircut.  Sold for a little over $14k when it was first auctioned.. Today at $9k

Well, isn't that a drop of 37.5% or at least somewhere in the same ballpark as the rest of the recycled Promise books hitting the marketplace on their second go round in such a short time period?  hm   :tonofbricks:

On 1/12/2023 at 4:26 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Paper quality matters a lot for SA collectors why buy anything cream when you can easily find better that plays into this sale believe me. I stay away from anything of that page quality for Marvel in the SA would never bid or buy such a comic but still a great book to own for those that can't afford better paper quality. Cream in GA I could careless I would buy it.

That's a personal preference, just like some people want perfect centering, no marvel chipping, etc.  The only one of those that seems to "sometimes" make an actual difference in price (and even then, not always or much of one ) is books with bas marvel chipping.  

-J.

On 1/12/2023 at 4:26 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Paper quality matters a lot for SA collectors why buy anything cream when you can easily find better that plays into this sale believe me. I stay away from anything of that page quality for Marvel in the SA would never bid or buy such a comic but still a great book to own for those that can't afford better paper quality. Cream in GA I could careless I would buy it.

That's a personal preference, just like some people want perfect centering, no marvel chipping, etc.  The only one of those that seems to "sometimes" make an actual difference in price (and even then, not always or much of one ) is books with bas marvel chipping.  

-J.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:50 PM, buttock said:

6.5s averaged $141K with a high of $180K last year.  The 6.5 in this auction didn't break $100k.  

Isn't this really nothing more than just your basic first year economics where supply eventually outpaces demand which can only stretch so far? hm

Especially when you have a scenario where you have multiple copies of the exact same book showing up in various grades across the entire condition spectrum in every single auction with no apparent end in sight.  (shrug)

Then again, it makes you wonder what happened to all of those boastful prospective buyers who said they simply couldn't wait for prices to fall so that they can start buying again, or were they the first ones already rushing for the exit doors?  :devil:

On 1/12/2023 at 4:40 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

As on the SA section people will tell the same most if not 8 or 9 out 10 people (I know I have been on that side talking for years with SA collectors) would prefer not touching cream pages of any type in the SA except for some rarer DC books. Anyways my guess is AF15 picks back up by this Summer.

Let's just say, as I've always said, this does not bear out in prices realized on the open market.  (thumbsu

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 1/12/2023 at 5:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Isn't this really nothing more than just your basic first year economics where supply eventually outpaces demand which can only stretch so far? hm

Especially when you have a scenario where you have multiple copies of the exact same book showing up in various grades across the entire condition spectrum in every single auction with no apparent end in sight.  (shrug)

Then again, it makes you wonder what happened to all of those boastful prospective buyers who said they simply couldn't wait for prices to fall so that they can start buying again, or were they the first ones already rushing for the exit doors?  :devil:

Every sale is basic supply and demand, but that's a drastic oversimplification of what's gone on in the world over the past 2 years.  

On 1/12/2023 at 7:26 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

GA always like to laugh at SA I get it they are rarer but a lot of heroes in the SA are now the top heroes around the globe. Sure the GA has Batman & Captain America but for me that is about it. I prefer Spiderman, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, X-Men and so on versus all other GA heroes except for Batman.

Yes I know the artwork from the GA it #1.

I collected only SA/early Bronze for a few decades. When CGC started grading and I started buying them, hundreds of them, I wouldn't touch a cream. And rarely off-white. For the reasons you said. 

On 1/10/2023 at 5:54 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well with 2 days left we will soon know the answer to the burning question (at least in my mind): is Heritage immune to the financial headwinds that has affected the rest of the comic marketplace? 

Well, based upon the results for the first day of the Heritage auction, did you get an sufficient enough of an answer to your question here?  hm

On 1/12/2023 at 9:24 AM, RareHighGrade said:

I never would have thought that The Eagle #1 was such a prized book.  The current bid (including juice) on the MH copy is over $25K. :whatthe:  I guess the market on Fox books remains on fire despite the recession.

Although the market on HTF Fox books is clearly still on fire, I believe there were also a few other factors at play here, including the following:  (thumbsu

1)  Highest graded copy by a long shot at CGC 9.6, with the next highest graded quite a few decrements lower at CGC 8.5;

2)  Edgar Church Mile High pedigree copy to boot and need we say anymore;

3)  Original label goodness where much of the general consensus held by most is that these books are less likely to have been pressed which increases the marketability of them; and

4)  Original label goodness where the general consensus held by some is that these books tended to be graded tougher.  hm

Personally, I would agree with the first three points here, but not so much with the fourth point.  Especially since I feel that the original label books are not necessarily graded tougher, but really that they've just been graded with different grading standards in place at the time as compared to now.(shrug)

Nevertheless, definitely a very strong result with this copy of The Eagle 1 finishing up at at a whopping $36K. :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/12/2023 at 10:59 AM, MrBedrock said:

The 9.2 AF 15 price is a little unsettling.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:01 AM, Gotham Kid said:

what is even more unsettling is this sells for

image.thumb.png.c765270d74234bf6b642c1a6ee9a92ba.png

Well, at least this copy here on this go round dropped by $6K as compared to the result from last summer.  (thumbsu

I thought what you would have found even more unsettling is this barely 10-year old book here that took its place at $43,200, especially when there's already 189 of them and still counting in equivalent CGC 9.8 graded condition, with another 279 copies pressing its way through right on its door in CGC 9.6 graded condition :  :whatthe:  :p

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/superhero/ultimate-fallout-4-variant-edition-marvel-2011-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7338-92127.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, Ultimate Fallout #4 Variant Edition (Marvel, 2011) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

On 1/13/2023 at 12:51 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, based upon the results for the first day of the Heritage auction, did you get an sufficient enough of an answer to your question here?  hm

I’m not sure what to think. As others have observed, the books i tracked came on strong at the end. From my small sampling, the GA prices and Heritage results were strong and definitely bucked the financial headwinds. From what I gather, SA isn’t so lucky. But this is just a moment in time for them. Their day in the sun will return 

On 1/13/2023 at 2:08 AM, lou_fine said:

Although the market on HTF Fox books is clearly still on fire, I believe there were also a few other factors at play here, including the following:  (thumbsu

1)  Highest graded copy by a long shot at CGC 9.6, with the next highest graded quite a few decrements lower at CGC 8.5;

2)  Edgar Church Mile High pedigree copy to boot and need we say anymore;

3)  Original label goodness where much of the general consensus held by most is that these books are less likely to have been pressed which increases the marketability of them; and

4)  Original label goodness where the general consensus held by some is that these books tended to be graded tougher.  hm

Personally, I would agree with the first three points here, but not so much with the fourth point.  Especially since I feel that the original label books are not necessarily graded tougher, but really that they've just been graded with different grading standards in place at the time as compared to now.(shrug)

Nevertheless, definitely a very strong result with this copy of The Eagle 1 finishing up at at a whopping $36K. :applause:

You forgot to mention that the Eagle book was featured on one of the catalogs. That probably earned it quite a bit of extra attention, including some bids by newbies who thought that if it was on the cover of the catalog, it must be an important book.

I prefer old-label books because I dislike pressing, but most expensive old-label books that are upgradable have probably  already been upgraded. That comic is probably the nicest existing copy, but the 9.6 grade was generous. People talk about old-label goodness, but my own experience has been that grading was somewhat inconsistent in the early days, with just as many loosely-graded books as tightly-graded books.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, at least this copy here on this go round dropped by $6K as compared to the result from last summer.  (thumbsu

I thought what you would have found even more unsettling is this barely 10-year old book here that took its place at $43,200, especially when there's already 189 of them and still counting in equivalent CGC 9.8 graded condition, with another 279 copies pressing its way through right on its door in CGC 9.6 graded condition :  :whatthe:  :p

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/superhero/ultimate-fallout-4-variant-edition-marvel-2011-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7338-92127.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, Ultimate Fallout #4 Variant Edition (Marvel, 2011) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

What I found interesting was that there was a 9.8 SIGNATURE SERIES of the same book that ended at the same time, and it sold for around 10k LESS than the universal copy here.

On 1/13/2023 at 5:56 AM, Transplant said:

Key Four Colors did okay in today's session.  

The 9.4 FC 386 price shocked me.  We're getting back to the halcyon days of 2005-07! 

The buyer of the 9.4 copy that sold on eBay for much less earlier this year should be happy! :wink: 

On 1/13/2023 at 6:27 AM, MrBedrock said:

but for some reason this particular 9.2 sale seems awfully low and I guarantee the consignor is not particularly happy right now

They shouldn't have consigned to an early January auction.  Maybe we really are in a correction from the peaks of the Pandemic, but I don't think this was the best time of year for an auction either.

On 1/13/2023 at 12:51 PM, RareHighGrade said:
On 1/13/2023 at 12:38 PM, adamstrange said:

Prices were strong for GA with a number of unexpectedly strong results.

I don't know about the GA selection as a whole, but I can tell you that all of the books I was eyeing went for record breaking prices.

Time to go for Common Low Grade books! 

On 1/13/2023 at 7:13 AM, tth2 said:

The buyer of the 9.4 copy that sold on eBay for much less earlier this year should be happy! :wink: 

With your emoticon here, are you suggesting that somebody who is The Master when it comes to timing their sales is also just as good at timing their purchases?  hm

Nah...........couldn't be since this is a piddly CGC 9.4 graded copy and virtually an universe away from your former CGC 9.6 highest graded copy.  :wink: