• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,871 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2021 at 11:33 PM, Aman619 said:

so who is fighting to win at these prices (15 - 20K each) for the Supermans in the 30s, 40s and 50s issues?? 

I'd wager that they're men. In their 30s, 40s, and 50s. With issues.

And deep pockets.

On 11/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, goldust40 said:

I'd wager that they're men. In their 30s, 40s, and 50s. With issues.

And deep pockets.

haha.  you nailed it!  but we really want the new money to be buying smart right? and stick around.  If they are just content to splash cash around on any high grade comic, without a clue to their place in the scheme of things, well, it might not be the best thing for us long timers.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:12 AM, Aman619 said:

haha.  you nailed it!  but we really want the new money to be buying smart right? and stick around.  If they are just content to splash cash around on any high grade comic, without a clue to their place in the scheme of things, well, it might not be the best thing for us long timers.

Absolutely, although it's a good time to sell for us lifers.

On 11/18/2021 at 7:12 PM, Aman619 said:

I wouldn't mind if they took a few years to "wisen up"... :shy:

On 11/18/2021 at 7:15 PM, goldust40 said:

Absolutely, although it's a good time to sell for us lifers.

My collection is worth ~100K, and even if it sold for ~150K in this hot market, that isn't life-changing money. If I was somebody who had built a collection in the 70s or 80s that was now worth $5 million plus, the temptation to cash out would be huge. Prices might not stay where they are now. Someone with a 7-figure collection who doesn't sell now could be leaving a lot of money on the table. For someone with no kids, it might not matter, but for someone with kids or grandkids who has the opportunity to change their lives, well . . . it would be tough to justify not selling in this market.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 11/19/2021 at 12:28 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

My collection is worth ~100K, and even if it sold for ~150K in this hot market, that isn't life-changing money. If I was somebody who had built a collection in the 70s or 80s that was now worth $5 million plus, the temptation to cash out would be huge. Prices might not stay where they are now. Someone with a 7-figure collection who doesn't sell now could be leaving a lot of money on the table. For someone with no kids, it might not matter, but for someone with kids or grandkids who has the opportunity to change their lives, well . . . it would be tough to justify not selling in this market.

It is indeed a conundrum - do you stick or twist?

On 11/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, Point Five said:

Weird Tales of the Future #8 CGC 6.5 Spokane @ $10,800...

What about the 7?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/weird-tales-of-the-future-7-spokane-pedigree-aragon-1953-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7248-92071.s

On 11/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, adamstrange said:

Yep, that's... a lot!  :whatthe:

I guess though I always assume the 9.x book values are going to be off-the-charts insane. A midgrade is more accessible to us mere mortals. (Usually!)

On 11/18/2021 at 7:57 PM, Point Five said:

A midgrade is more accessible to us mere mortals. (Usually!)

Spokane copy + Bailey cover is an intoxicating mix too tempting for some...

On 11/19/2021 at 12:52 AM, adamstrange said:

I can get behind that price. That and the Weird Mysteries 4 from earlier. What a book.

The Cap #1 price is astounding....the secret is out, all these years on these boards I have said Cap#1 is the best GA buy out there, after today I will need to think about this, yes it is great book, but wow if you know of someone who has one and does not follow Ha you might want to pull the trigger NOW. Part 1 of promse broke over 4 Million....Ha is a 800 pound gorilla and unstopable.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:09 PM, goldust40 said:

I can get behind that price. That and the Weird Mysteries 4 from earlier. What a book.

Great covers both!

On 11/18/2021 at 6:58 PM, ThothAmon said:

I’m making a deal with the Devil tonight under the full red moon to make sure I win a personal grail tomorrow.  Sadly, I came up empty today. 

You mean..... *gasp* .... arranging credit ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/18/2021 at 7:28 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Right.  But step back a bit… with a collection of 100K or so, sure from that perspective anyone with 5M should cash in now rather than risk losing their gains,  that from !the 100K perspective, look too good to pass up.  But that 5M guy is just like you on a higher rung of the ladder.  His collection was already worth millions when this run up started… so he’s sticking around, same as you  Absent a life changing event, opting to sell “at the top” is never obvious till later.  So while his losses will be greater than yours, they will still be manageable ~ and recoupable, assuming he has the right books and didn’t overpay or borrow money to buy them.  

Edited by Aman619

On 11/18/2021 at 9:38 PM, Aman619 said:

Right.  But step back a bit… with a collection of 100K or so, sure from that perspective anyone with 5M should cash in now rather than risk losing their gains,  that from !the 100K perspective, look too good to pass up.  But that 5M guy is just like you on a higher rung of the ladder.  His collection was already worth millions when this run up started… so he’s sticking around, same as you  Absent a life changing event, opting to sell “at the top” is never obvious till later.  So while his losses will be greater than yours, they will still be manageable ~ and recoupable, assuming he has the right books and didn’t overpay or borrow money to buy them.  

Perhaps—but I think that the current run up in prices will prove to be the tipping point for some collectors. I think we'll see some exceptional collections come to market in 2022.

:wishluck: