• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,961 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2023 at 3:20 PM, Professor K said:

Hi everyone. What am I missing here? 

Nothing except for the rather obvious fact that Heritage is clearly THE place to buy GA books if you want to make big money right afterwards by selling them on a trustworthy auction platform like eBay.  (:  lol

On 4/15/2023 at 4:28 AM, Pantodude said:

I have edited this post several times now.  Thought I could explain the result, but time will tell i guess.  Maybe very recent news that the bald guy on the cover is in fact Luthor!  

What is your definition of "recent" here since that news has been pretty much well known and speculated on for decades now?  :bigsmile:

On 4/15/2023 at 12:19 PM, lou_fine said:

What is your definition of "recent" here since that news has been pretty much well known and speculated on for decades now?  :bigsmile:

No, I was remarking what if recently was confirmed that the dude IS supposed to be Luthor, and always was supposed to be him, and not just a henchman.  That would be a game changer.  

On 4/15/2023 at 9:21 AM, Pantodude said:

No, I was remarking what if recently was confirmed that the dude IS supposed to be Luthor, and always was supposed to be him, and not just a henchman.  That would be a game changer.  

Yes, but that still wouldn't explain the significant differences in pricing for much higher graded copies selling for substnatially lower prices as compared to a supposed CGC 3.5 graded copy selling at $13,400 or pretty much double what the CGC 5.0 and 6.5 graded copies had sold for at Heritage this year.  (shrug)

On 4/15/2023 at 12:29 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but that still wouldn't explain the significant differences in pricing for much higher graded copies selling for substnatially lower prices as compared to a supposed CGC 3.5 graded copy selling at $13,400 or pretty much double what the CGC 5.0 and 6.5 graded copies had sold for at Heritage this year.  (shrug)

Um, yes it would IF the most recent sale was AFTER the hypothetical revelation re Luthor.  It's called causality?  Here purely theoretical and in jest, but the logic still holds.  (thumbsu

Edited by Pantodude

On 4/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, szav said:

don't honestly remember the timing of the issues in dispute,

There is no longer any dispute that Supe4 was on the newsstands a week before AC23.  So Supe4 is the first appearance of Luthor on newsstands and anywhere actually, but he was supposed to be the second appearance because Supe4 took place after AC23 story-wise.  So CGC is incorrect calling Supe4 Luthor's 2nd appearance on the label w/o further qualification.  (tsk)

On 4/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, szav said:

if that bald guy on the cover of Superman #4 is supposed to be the world's greatest and most dastardly super villain,

It is also pretty established that the bald guy on the cover is a henchman, not Luthor.  But interestingly soon after Luthor (who originally had HAIR as per AC23 on the videoscreen) ended up looking like that henchman!   Probably b/c so many folks (mistakenly) thought he looked like that already or preferred that look?   

Edited by Pantodude

On 4/15/2023 at 1:52 PM, Pantodude said:

There is no longer any dispute that Supe4 was on the newsstands a week before AC23.  So Supe4 is the first appearance of Luthor on newsstands and anywhere actually, but he was supposed to be the second appearance because Supe4 took place after AC23 story-wise.  So CGC is incorrect calling Supe4 Luthor's 2nd appearance on the label w/o further qualification.  (tsk)

It is also pretty established that the bald guy on the cover is a henchman, not Luthor.  But interestingly soon after Luthor (who originally had HAIR as per AC23 on the videoscreen) ended up looking like that henchman!   Probably b/c so many folks (mistakenly) thought he looked like that already or preferred that look?   

You guys are talking about the eBay sale like it's definitely a real sale. The operative word is eBay. No one knows whether any eBay sale is real; eBay is full of fake sales by guys who want to pump up the prices of books or who want to find out what the legitimate high bidder's max is so they can set a buy-it-now price on another venue. It could be a real sale, but I would never assume that. Again, it's eBay.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/15/2023 at 9:54 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You guys are talking about the eBay sale like it's definitely a real sale. The operative word is eBay. No one knows whether any eBay sale is real; eBay is full of fake sales by guys who want to pump up the prices of books or who want find out what the legitimate high bidder's max is so they can set a buy-it-now price on another venue. It could be a real sale, but I would never assume that. Again, it's eBay.

Me?  No, no. I just proposed a hypothetical scenario where the $13K+ could make sense, but it was in jest.  I, like you, am not aware of any news/event that explains the $13K+ sale.  BTW, this $13K+ sale is now on GPA.  Let's see if it sticks, I guess.     

On 4/16/2023 at 6:06 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Damn impressive sale! Considering not only the cover, but the 1st two wraps are also repros.

28758433-6D0D-49E7-A3DC-2D39A9D6727B.jpeg

Yep, I sometimes wonder if Heritage buyers actually read the descriptions.  GPA has the last two complete, but coverless copies selling for $22.8k in 2021 and $40.8k January 2022.  $10k and $7k in 2018.

On 4/16/2023 at 5:20 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Yep, I sometimes wonder if Heritage buyers actually read the descriptions.  GPA has the last two complete, but coverless copies selling for $22.8k in 2021 and $40.8k January 2022.  $10k and $7k in 2018.

Yeah I mean I guess if you take the more recent sale into account in 2022, then this seems about right.

On 4/15/2023 at 10:08 PM, Pantodude said:

Me?  No, no. I just proposed a hypothetical scenario where the $13K+ could make sense, but it was in jest.  I, like you, am not aware of any news/event that explains the $13K+ sale.  BTW, this $13K+ sale is now on GPA.  Let's see if it sticks, I guess.     

My advice would be to disregard eBay sales when looking at GPA. I don't even trust the ones that stick.

On 4/19/2023 at 6:39 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

My advice would be to disregard eBay sales when looking at GPA. I don't even trust the ones that stick.

I agree one needs to be wary, but "disregard [all] eBay sales" might be going too far.  I would expect there are many buyers, including comic book collectors, who simply don't like auctions. They would prefer to avoid the extra fees, delay and/or uncertainty associated w/ auctions in favor of buying outright (either BIN or via an offer), buying in person, buying only from a familiar or trusted (to them) source, buying from a source that could provide more or better images or explanation, and/or buying from a source that would accept returns.  I might be one of those guys despite participating in many auctions myself!  But even putting all that aside, there are many people with deep pockets who are impatient and/or impulsive and/or simply know what they want and want it quick, especially if the book is uncommon.  That would account for at least some of the seemingly outlier eBay sales. If I'm a seller who is not in a rush to sell, I wouldn't completely ignore such sales history.  

All that said, it looks like the sale in question is gone from GPA already!   Safe to say DISREGARD (this time)!  :nyah:  Good call. 

Edited by Pantodude

On 4/19/2023 at 4:27 AM, Pantodude said:

I agree one needs to be wary, but "disregard [all] eBay sales" might be going too far.  I would expect there are many buyers, including comic book collectors, who simply don't like auctions. They would prefer to avoid the extra fees, delay and/or uncertainty associated w/ auctions in favor of buying outright (either BIN or via an offer), buying in person, buying only from a familiar or trusted (to them) source, buying from a source that could provide more or better images or explanation, and/or buying from a source that would accept returns.  I might be one of those guys despite participating in many auctions myself!  But even putting all that aside, there are many people with deep pockets who are impatient and/or impulsive and/or simply know what they want and want it quick, especially if the book is uncommon.  That would account for at least some of the seemingly outlier eBay sales. If I'm a seller who is not in a rush to sell, I wouldn't completely ignore such sales history.  

All that said, it looks like the sale in question is gone from GPA already!   Safe to say DISREGARD (this time)!  :nyah:  Good call. 

Indeed. Love it or hate it, EBay is a very viable source. There is of course shilling that takes place (not unlike some of the big auction houses). But, by checking the bidding history, it is often easy to deduce when it is happening.

I fall into the category of folks that like fixed price sales. I would just rather know the price and either buy it not. Auctions tend to get emotional and often one ends up paying more than they really wanted to.

Other than eBay, and other rare occasions, I tend to stay away from auctions. If one wants to collect serious books though, they are a necessary evil. Local shops, Cons, Flea Markets, and Estates ect just don’t yield the material I am looking for much anymore. 

Any bets that the consignor of this copy here that sold for $1,440 is not totally jumping for joy even though it is $125 higher than what they had paid for the exact same copy over 5 years ago back in early 2018:  :mad:  :censored:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/romance/cindy-comics-37-timely-1949-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/40221-83006.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, Cindy Comics #37 (Timely, 1949) CGC FN 6.0 Off-white pages....

Especially since copies in this grade range were already selling in the $3K to $4K range even during pre-pandemic times, with one CGC 6.0 graded copy (albeit a much nicer presenting copy) topping out at $4,200 in late 2019 and well before anybody was locked down with nothing at all to do.  :whatthe:

Interesting to note that this book here was actually the #3 book in terms of prices realized in the just completed Timeless Good Girl Art Showcase Auction this past Thursday, with only the lead promo book for the auction (i.e. a CGC 7.5 graded copy of Tessie The Typist #1) being able to fetch over $2K as it finished up at $5,520.  With all of these Showcase Auctions in addition to their Signature Auctions and their now expanded 3-day weekly auctions, although I am sure this do wonders for their gross auction sales, I am not so sure it's necessarily producting the best individual results for their consignors.  Especially with some of the seemingly underperforming results we've seen with some of their Showcase Auction books.  hm  (shrug)

On 4/22/2023 at 1:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Any bets that the consignor of this copy here that sold for $1,440 is not totally jumping for joy even though it is $125 higher than what they had paid for the exact same copy over 5 years ago back in early 2018:  :mad:  :censored:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/romance/cindy-comics-37-timely-1949-cgc-fn-60-off-white-pages/a/40221-83006.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, Cindy Comics #37 (Timely, 1949) CGC FN 6.0 Off-white pages....

Especially since copies in this grade range were already selling in the $3K to $4K range even during pre-pandemic times, with one CGC 6.0 graded copy (albeit a much nicer presenting copy) topping out at $4,200 in late 2019 and well before anybody was locked down with nothing at all to do.  :whatthe:

Interesting to note that this book here was actually the #3 book in terms of prices realized in the just completed Timeless Good Girl Art Showcase Auction this past Thursday, with only the lead promo book for the auction (i.e. a CGC 7.5 graded copy of Tessie The Typist #1) being able to fetch over $2K as it finished up at $5,520.  With all of these Showcase Auctions in addition to their Signature Auctions and their now expanded 3-day weekly auctions, although I am sure this do wonders for their gross auction sales, I am not so sure it's necessarily producting the best individual results for their consignors.  Especially with some of the seemingly underperforming results we've seen with some of their Showcase Auction books.  hm  (shrug)

I don't think anyone thinks about prices quite as much as you do, Dean. After all, these are comic books, not stock futures.