• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2023 at 5:59 PM, Black Bat said:
On 4/3/2023 at 2:40 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I tried really hard to talk myself into this one!  You are obviously better at rationalization than I am.  There were a few other low graders that inched past my max bid.  I did get the Blue Bolt #113.  Clean punch holes don't bother me! :bigsmile:

haha- I was admiring that 113 too. def a very cool looking low grade book.  I wonder what other books that person had in their 3 ring binder?

That's actually an interesting question since I don't know how CGC would handle 3-ring binder holes when it comes to grading.  ???

Just wondering since I remember picking up a copy of Superman 8 from a young kid at a local con decades ago who was there with his mother and trying to sell the book to some of the dealers there.  After not having any success, I took a look at the book and since it looked half decent except for the 3 holes going through the entire book, figured it was okay for the $100 or whatever he was asking for it.  Especially since he also seem like a nice kid who just wanted to sell the book, but not having any luck doing so.  Not sure where it would be now, since I thought it was pretty neat to get such an early Supes book as I was not yet a GA collector at the time, but always figured it was pretty much worthless with the 3 holes goimg right throughout the entire book.  (shrug)

That's the good thing about being a long term collector, in the sense that time tends to take care of most of your purchasing mistakes.  (thumbsu 

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/3/2023 at 11:26 PM, lou_fine said:

That's actually an interesting question since I don't know how CGC would handle 3-ring binder holes when it comes to grading.  ???

Just wondering since I remember picking up a copy of Superman 8 from a young kid at a local con decades ago who was there with his mother and trying to sell the book to some of the dealers there.  After not having any success, I took a look at the book and since it looked half decent except for the 3 holes going through the entire book, figured it was okay for the $100 or whatever he was asking for it.  Especially since he also seem like a nice kid who just wanted to sell the book, but not having any luck doing so.  Not sure where it would be now, since I thought it was pretty neat to get such an early Supes book as I was not yet a GA collector at the time, but always figured it was pretty much worthless with the 3 holes goimg right throughout the entire book.  (shrug)

That's the good thing about being a long term collector, in the sense that time tends to take care of most of your purchasing mistakes.  (thumbsu 

Cool story, now show us a picture of it. :baiting:

On 4/4/2023 at 7:21 AM, buttock said:

Cool story, now show us a picture of it. :baiting:

As long as you agree to come up and help me to look for the darned thing because I have absolutely zero idea where I would even start since I haven't seen it or even come across it for decades now.  :facepalm:

Maybe it was all just a dream that I had back then and not a memory of an actual event.  hm  :(

On 4/3/2023 at 10:26 PM, lou_fine said:

I have never had much of a problem with binder holes. Depends on the book and price of course.

Many years ago, I bought a very large collection of them in AZ. Late ‘40’s/early ‘50’s. A lot of ECs. They were beautiful except for the holes. Probably protected by the binders. I also like bound volumes. Often, books are beautiful inside.

Both very affordable ways to obtain very expensive books in otherwise very nice shape. 

On 4/4/2023 at 9:23 AM, lou_fine said:

As long as you agree to come up and help me to look for the darned thing because I have absolutely zero idea where I would even start since I haven't seen it or even come across it for decades now.  :facepalm:

Maybe it was all just a dream that I had back then and not a memory of an actual event.  hm  :(

I'm on my way!

On 4/4/2023 at 8:42 AM, buttock said:
On 4/4/2023 at 8:23 AM, lou_fine said:

I'm on my way!

Already on the way to the airport to pick you up and my better half already has the spare bedroom made up for you.  (thumbsu

Treasures abound await us or maybe just toxic putrid garbage.  :fear:lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/4/2023 at 9:20 AM, manetteska said:

This is my usual go-to for 3-ring binder holes:

image.png.e447f6181b3bf8b1872c85818ce7bb0c.png

Well, one's a CGC 2.5 and the other's a CGC 5.0............hmmmm............maybe the size of the holes also plays a factor in the final grade.  hm  

The holes are clearly visible on the cover image of the Cindy 37, but not so visible on the busy cover image of the Terrors of the Jungle 20.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/4/2023 at 10:52 AM, lou_fine said:

Already on the way to the airport to pick you up and my better half already has the spare bedroom made up for you.  (thumbsu

Treasures abound await us or maybe just toxic putrid garbage.  :fear:lol

Can we start with the 80s B&W box?

On 4/4/2023 at 10:55 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, one's a CGC 2.5 and the other's a CGC 5.0............hmmmm............maybe the size of the holes also plays a factor in the final grade.  hm  

The holes are clearly visible on the cover image of the Cindy 37, but not so visible on the busy cover image of the Terrors of the Jungle 20.  (shrug)

And I have (I believe) a formerly encapsulated Qualified 5.5, which I think is this CGC Certification.  The seller no longer had the label, but believed it was a Q 5.5.  Sometimes the punch holes are only in the margins, so the book takes less of a hit.

I remember an Albuquerque comic show back in the 80s where someone had a bunch of veery early GA books (Detective 29, 31, etc).  All with hole punches.  I tried buying them but another dealer offered to buy the entire group.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:21 PM, Black Bat said:

Yeah those were pretty dark- one upside of more books coming to auction, it's getting a bit easier to let the uglies go...

however I just couldn't resist this with the entire bottom edge of the cover missing!  Lol!  Telling myself it works visually with the other jagged edges in the composition, and conceptually in terms of the degradation and decay the dug grave foretells. (: (:(:

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 8.14.18 PM.png

Yep, the torn jagged edge along the bottom is just the perfect complement and sure adds to the overall cover image itself.  (thumbsu

Now, those now so in vogue "skeleton" hands and fingers are what surely adds to the dollar value of this book and makes it more than worth the full 4X condition guide value that you had to pay for your copy here.  :bigsmile:  :takeit:

On 4/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, tth2 said:

This is why the auction houses want to know when you're going to sell your collection.  It's like the warehouse in Indiana Jones.

I just so wish that this was actually true, and no doubt, my better half wishes even much more so that this was true.  :fourleafclover:

All kidding aside, since my vintage GA purchasing was limited to a very short time period from late '88 to mid '96 before it came to a practical dead stop with only drips and drabs after that, I highly doubt my GA collection could fill one long box, let alone two long boxes stuffed into the corner of a tiny broom closet.  :(

On 4/2/2023 at 4:19 PM, buttock said:

I had a good chunk of items in this auction, they sold for 100.6% of my pre-auction estimate. 

For comparison's sake, I had a similar amount on comicconnect and got 88.9% of expected.  

On 4/2/2023 at 4:51 PM, lou_fine said:

For comparison purposes, was the auction commission fees the same for both as the key for the consignor is the net they receive in the end?  hm

On 4/3/2023 at 5:25 AM, buttock said:

Close enough to make CC seem like a worse place to sell.  

Well, with the slightly higher fees that Heritage charges, it probably brings the difference of 11.7% before fees between the 2 auction houses down much closer to an acceptable margin of error.  hm

Especially when the differences could be attributed to only 2 or 3 unexpected results either way with the two auction houses.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, buttock said:

Psychoanalysis 3 in 9.2 just under $6k... WTF?

On 4/1/2023 at 12:08 PM, buttock said:

Web of Mystery 8 in 7.0 for $6600.  Good lord. 

On 4/3/2023 at 5:25 AM, buttock said:

Close enough to make CC seem like a worse place to sell.  

Oh, never mind my previous post up above..............................just noticed these two posts from you.  doh!

Big time congrats to you on your sale of these two books here as I just wish I have your sense of luck and timing when it comes to my turn. :applause:  :bigsmile: