• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2023 at 12:53 PM, lou_fine said:

You mean this little "classic cover" beauty here :p, but then it does have the start of the Doc Savage (who TF????) series in this issue here:  :bigsmile:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/shadow-comics-v3-10-mile-high-pedigree-street-and-smith-1944-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7339-94164.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Shadow Comics V3#10 Mile High Pedigree (Street & Smith, 1944) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Does this mean that I've finally got a chance to break even on my two Church copies of the early Doc Savage issues after having them sit here collecting dust for some 30+ long years.  :facepalm:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Oh, now I see it after taking a closer look....................It's another one of these skull covers that the crazed FOMO buyers of today will be more than happy to empty out their bank accounts for.  lol

Oh, crappers.................does that mean my two non-skull Church Doc Savage books are STILL as worthless as ever.  :mad:  :censored:

Or is that a skeleton or a decapitated crushed skull I see hiding there in the shadows of my now invaluable Doc Savage books?  :banana:   lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/19/2023 at 11:08 PM, comicnoir said:

Well, looks like the CGC 6.5 graded copy did a bit better yesterday at $552 as compared to last month's 5.5 at only $360, but still way behind the EXACT SAME CGC 5.5 graded copy that had sold for $3,960 back in October of 2022 which I must say is totally kind of  :screwy:  :screwy:, unless the first guy thought he was bidding on the Promise Collection copy back then which he clearly was not:  :facepalm:  lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/kaanga-comics-8-fiction-house-1951-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7339-94117.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Kaanga Comics #8 (Fiction House, 1951) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to white pages....

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/2/2023 at 5:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like the CGC 6.5 graded copy did a bit better yesterday at $552 as compared to last month's 5.5 at only $360, but still way behind the EXACT SAME CGC 5.5 graded copy that had sold for $3,960 back in October of 2022 which I must say is totally kind of  :screwy:  :screwy::

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/kaanga-comics-8-fiction-house-1951-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7339-94117.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Kaanga Comics #8 (Fiction House, 1951) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to white pages....

Following that one. I think that the big market on Kaanga 8 is officially over.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:53 AM, lou_fine said:

Does this mean that I've finally got a chance to break even on my two Church copies of the early Doc Savage issues after having them sit here collecting dust for some 30+ long years.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:58 AM, lou_fine said:

Oh, now I see it after taking a closer look....................It's another one of these skull covers that the crazed FOMO buyers of today will be more than happy to empty out their bank accounts for.  lol

Oh, crappers.................does that mean my two non-skull Church Doc Savage books are STILL as worthless as ever.  :mad:  :censored:

Does it matter?  You're never going to sell your books anyways. :baiting:

On 4/2/2023 at 2:58 PM, tth2 said:
On 4/2/2023 at 12:58 PM, lou_fine said:

Does it matter?  You're never going to sell your books anyways. :baiting:

And as the old saying goes......................."never say never".  hm  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

Oh happy day.................and for those unlucky bidders who feel they might have missed there chance or could not open their wallets wide enough for the $43.2K River City copy of Weird Mysteries 4, looks like you;ve got another chance to atone for your transgression later today:  :whee:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/weird-mysteries-4-gillmor-1953-cgc-gd-vg-30-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122314-11207.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-BrowseAlsoViewed-012417

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Weird Mysteries #4 (Gillmor, 1953) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Off-white to white pages....

Still sitting there at a hammer bid of only $4.5K for now, or if you are on a tight budget, you can try for this one here at a hammer bid of only $3.4K:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/suspense-comics-8-continental-magazines-1945-cgc-vg-35-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122314-11180.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Open-AlsoViewed-081514&tab=BrowseAlsoViewed-012417

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Suspense Comics #8 (Continental Magazines, 1945) CGC VG- 3.5 Off-white to white pages....

Actually, surprised that the only high grade copy of this L.B. Cole all-time classic spider cover buy a long shot is the Promise Collection copy.  My thinking is that if it ever came back to market on a second go-round here, it would be probably one of the few Promise retread winners considering how well the Promise copy of Mask 1 did on its second go round.  hm 

On 4/2/2023 at 5:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like the CGC 6.5 graded copy did a bit better yesterday at $552 as compared to last month's 5.5 at only $360, but still way behind the EXACT SAME CGC 5.5 graded copy that had sold for $3,960 back in October of 2022 which I must say is totally kind of  :screwy:  :screwy:, unless the first guy thought he was bidding on the Promise Collection copy back then which he clearly was not:  :facepalm:  lol

doesn't help that the art is really lame on this one. No love lost

On 4/2/2023 at 4:19 PM, buttock said:

For comparison's sake, I had a similar amount on comicconnect and got 88.9% of expected.

For comparison purposes, was the auction commission fees the same for both as the key for the consignor is the net they receive in the end?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/2/2023 at 3:53 PM, lou_fine said:

You mean this little "classic cover" beauty here :p, but then it does have the start of the Doc Savage (who TF????) series in this issue here:  :bigsmile:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/shadow-comics-v3-10-mile-high-pedigree-street-and-smith-1944-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7339-94164.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115#

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Shadow Comics V3#10 Mile High Pedigree (Street & Smith, 1944) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Does this mean that I've finally got a chance to break even on my two Church copies of the early Doc Savage issues after having them sit here collecting dust for some 30+ long years.  :facepalm:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Church copies!!

Hey Lou, would really like to see some of your books 

I know you've stated you're not tech savvy,  but it should be the same process as posting the HA and other books you post here. You'll just have to take pics of course if you havent already.

Easier than you'd think. Start with your Church copies sir :wishluck: :headbang:

On 4/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh happy day.................and for those unlucky bidders who feel they might have missed there chance or could not open their wallets wide enough for the $43.2K River City copy of Weird Mysteries 4, looks like you;ve got another chance to atone for your transgression later today:  :whee:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/weird-mysteries-4-gillmor-1953-cgc-gd-vg-30-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122314-11207.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-BrowseAlsoViewed-012417

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Weird Mysteries #4 (Gillmor, 1953) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Off-white to white pages....

That's one's on my want list, but I'd be afraid to buy one at the current prices. The strong sales have brought so many copies out of the woodwork over the last few years that a correction seems inevitable.

On 4/2/2023 at 6:46 PM, Dark Knight said:

I considered bidding on both of those books, but I just didn't like how the colors don't pop and has some tanning on covers.

Hey....Yeah those were the two I was thinking about also. I surprised myself and refrained from bidding. Both did go for record prices for the grades but they both got 2 or 3 quick bids and ended quickly. No bidding war on either. I was glad to see that. The Suspense 8 looked good, nice even wrap, but kind of dull colors it seemed, not too bad for that book. The WM 4, that did look to have dull colors. Even on the pics from it's previous 2017 e bay sale they looked dull, that's the main reason I didn't bid. Plus the fact I can't see these big pch's getting much higher. I mean they are up there already. Probably wrong about that.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:51 PM, Professor K said:

Hey....Yeah those were the two I was thinking about also. I surprised myself and refrained from bidding. Both did go for record prices for the grades but they both got 2 or 3 quick bids and ended quickly. No bidding war on either. I was glad to see that. The Suspense 8 looked good, nice even wrap, but kind of dull colors it seemed, not too bad for that book. The WM 4, that did look to have dull colors. Even on the pics from it's previous 2017 e bay sale they looked dull, that's the main reason I didn't bid. Plus the fact I can't see these big pch's getting much higher. I mean they are up there already. Probably wrong about that.

The biggest giveaway is the back cover.  Very tanned and dark.  Looking for close to white - offwhite back covers. Harder to tell in front but you can see it if you have really good eyes and knowledge of the color scheme.  These books don't qualify to be in my PC lol

On 4/2/2023 at 5:51 PM, Professor K said:

Yeah those were pretty dark- one upside of more books coming to auction, it's getting a bit easier to let the uglies go...

however I just couldn't resist this with the entire bottom edge of the cover missing!  Lol!  Telling myself it works visually with the other jagged edges in the composition, and conceptually in terms of the degradation and decay the dug grave foretells. (: (:(:

Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 8.14.18 PM.png

On 4/2/2023 at 8:51 PM, Professor K said:

Thank god I got mine off ebay back in the day for $400.00.