• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I am not aware of any increase in the 20% BP juice for Heritage which has been in place for quite awhile now?  ???

Well, it increased longer ago than it seems.  Those on the bidding end still aren't that fond of it.  lol

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Loss of voice auctions?    There will be no live auctioneer?   I guess that makes sense although I was hoping they had a work around

The statement below was at the top of my email watch list from Heritage on the April 27th (if anything has changed I'm unaware of it)...

Important: All auctions until further notice will be online and phone bidding only. Take advantage of our high resolution images and videos to place bids up until the live event, and then continue to bid during the Heritage Live auction event, including live streaming audio and video.

This suggests no live auctioneer to me.  Streaming audio and video could mean images of books and the sound of a gavel ...hey, maybe it'll sound like the opening of Law and Order.  :D

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

The statement below was at the top of my email watch list from Heritage on the April 27th (if anything has changed I'm unaware of it)...

Important: All auctions until further notice will be online and phone bidding only. Take advantage of our high resolution images and videos to place bids up until the live event, and then continue to bid during the Heritage Live auction event, including live streaming audio and video.

This suggests no live auctioneer to me.  Streaming audio and video could mean images of books and the sound of a gavel ...hey, maybe it'll sound like the opening of Law and Order.  :D

Thanks. I figured if they are holding the auction at all, they somehow got themselves qualified as essential business. I guess that in itself is a bit bonkers.  And then as @lou_fine points out, social distancing is never hard. Other than the bevy of Heritage employees,  It’s usually just me and John verzyl’s kids

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thanks. I figured if they are holding the auction at all, they somehow got themselves qualified as essential business. I guess that in itself is a bit bonkers.  And then as @lou_fine points out, social distancing is never hard. Other than the bevy of Heritage employees,  It’s usually just me and John verzyl’s kids

I signed on just in time to hear their auction intro here.  (thumbsu

Is it true that you had a complimentary lobster feast for just you and John's kids for attending then. lol  :takeit:

All I can say is that the first auctioneer was definitely a whole lot better than this woman here, especially in terms of the pacing. (thumbsu

She seems to know all about the numbers, but probably not very much at all with respect to any of the books.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

52 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Capture.JPG.c554c3db4450e2b2577fe96e31076a67.JPG

That seem to be a lower than expected price for a CGC 2.5 graded copy of Action 13.  hm

That is until you read the auction description and you kind of wonder how it was even able to acheive a grade of CGC 2.5 in the first place?  

Although it does sound like an upgrade with a different color label is possible if you ever do decide to attach all of the detached pages using vintage staples.  (shrug)

Thought this book had been cooling off during the past year or so with copies appearing in quite a few auctions:  hm

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Archie Comics #50 (Archie, 1951) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white pages....

But this copy here seems to have sold at a pretty strong price of $8,400 relative to some of the recent auction results.  (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Im sensing a drinking game:  "Cut bid - will it work? I dont know!"

"Last chance" will get you drunker.

19 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well, the message about limited to online and phone auction participation turned out to be inaccurate or, if true, confusing.  I must’ve misunderstood their intent.  I watched the live auction for hours, patiently waiting for session 2 between auctioneer change.  

Some prices are indeed surprising ...in both directions, others less do.  I almost bid on the Billy Wright ‘Tec #18 because the price seemed low for such a good looking book.  The idea of chasing another pedigree copy to go with with my Church copy isn’t unappealing, but I remained focused.  Whoever won that copy got a bargain. The low hammer price for the Young Allies #1 was a real shocker.  It may not be a favorite of mine, but YA #1 is a genuine classic.  The consignor probably took a loss, but the winner got a book at well below OSG.

OTOH, Schomburg Torch covers are still blazing hot.  Of the books I’d been watching I bowed out of Human Torch #8 after looking closely at the cover scans.  I’d rather not delve into my reasoning because I don’t want the happy winner to think I’m dissing his book (in fact, big congrats to the new owner if you’re reading this!).  Let’s just say it didn’t quite meet my expectations for grade and leave it at that.  

The one book I focused on was snagged (woo-hoo!), but competition was fiercer than expected.  If The Verzyls we’re bidding against me I must’ve gotten lucky, ...maybe the book came up during lobster servings.

Bottom line, Heritage should be happy with these results.  With a captive audience still at home during the coronavirus crisis a lot more folks can tune in during the event, and itchy trigger fingers will not be denied! 

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

"Last chance" will get you drunker.

I stocked up via Drizly earlier in the week, so I’m good.  How ‘bout you? Note: The two things one should never do around HA Bid buttons is imbibe alcohol or too much coffee (a jittery finger could cost you dearly!).

59 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I stocked up via Drizly earlier in the week, so I’m good.  How ‘bout you? Note: The two things one should never do around HA Bid buttons is imbibe alcohol or too much coffee (a jittery finger could cost you dearly!).

I turned off the bid buttons for this one.

Edited by MrBedrock

50 minutes ago, rsouxlja7 said:

slight/mod rest 6.0 Superman 1 went for 144K. Is that in line with prior sales or is it because it's a possible candidate for resto removal?  

Resto removal candidate I’m guessing. But the notes said interior pages (16) had been trimmed. So who knows   But a non reversal restored supe1 is 50-60k

1 hour ago, rsouxlja7 said:

slight/mod rest 6.0 Superman 1 went for 144K. Is that in line with prior sales or is it because it's a possible candidate for resto removal?  

Way higher than I expected.  I would think the book would be pretty ugly after removing the restoration but if CGC gives it a 2.0 to 3.0 then it will be a decent investment.