• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Rick;

Hope this is just a typo on your part here and you really meant to say lots of imteror damage or defects that have NOT been worked on?  ???

Especially since their Restoration Rating of A-2 already takes into account the extent and quality of the restoration work done.  Or are you also trying to say that when it comes to grading a restored book, CGC is doing either of the following:

1)  Grading the book based upon all identified restoration work as a damage or defect (regardless of the quality of the work) on the book and then downgrading the condition grade accordingly; or 

2)  Grading the book as if the identified restoration work had not been peformed and then estimating (to the best of their ability) the initial grade of the book prior to any resto work being done.

Both of these scenarios wouldn't  really make much sense :screwy:  from my point of view since I thought a restored book was supposed to be graded based upon the condition of the book AFTER the restoration work had been done on the book, with the work to be seen as CORRECTING A DEFECT on the book and hence, upgraded accordingly from what its initial unrestored grade would have been.  hm

Then again, what do I know except that virtually every single Restored book I see seems to always without exception, presents so much nicer than their assigned CGC grade.  (shrug)

Just look at the notes. 16 pages with corner trimmed off and I think paper leaf casted back on...probably not an exact visual match. I’m sure that plays into the grade ?

10 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Rick;

Hope this is just a typo on your part here and you really meant to say lots of imteror damage or defects that have NOT been worked on?  ???

Just look at the notes. 16 pages with corner trimmed off and I think paper leaf casted back on...probably not an exact visual match. I’m sure that plays into the grade ?

Thanks Rick for sharing the purchased notes.  (thumbsu

Yes, 16 pages with corner trimmed off that has not been worked on will most definitely knock a book quite far down the grading scale.  :S

Apologies in advance if you were the consignor or the winner of this auction.  :foryou:

Not an Event Auction item, but this comic book hammered last night in the HA Sunday auction.  Curious as to what others might think.  This comic is sitting in a Cookeville pedigree label holder and yet has none of the typical markings of a Cookeville copy (SN, NN, SMN, or Leroy Mackie's name).  The time frame is right and Mackie did buy a number of Police Comics.  Still, unless the person submitting the comic to CGC had some very strong provenance, I am not convinced this is a Cookeville.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/police-comics-45-cookeville-pedigree-quality-1945-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122019-13247.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Police45.thumb.jpg.630e9a2fe319bab53bd92e0528d1ab0b.jpg

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Thanks Rick for sharing the purchased notes.  (thumbsu

Yes, 16 pages with corner trimmed off that has not been worked on will most definitely knock a book quite far down the grading scale.  :S

My views may differ a bit with the general board consensus on the subject of leaf casting.  The only area where I’d echo mild concern about how much  ...if any... of the art had to be retouched or recreated in the corner restoration.  The process of leaf casting is very close to recreating pulp paper, adding only lost suppleness in the process.  Reattachment is a very natural bonding of pulp paper lignin to itself, a museum level restoration process used for preservation of rare and fragile paper documents.  

I’m concerned that some of us may be a little behind the curve on the accepting leaf casting as an important scientific contribution to the hobby’s future.  As I’ve stated before, we’re past the point where disclosure shouldn’t be an issue, especially for valuable graded books.  The grader’s notes to a book become part of it’s provenance.  Basically what I’m saying is that the apparent grade should reflect what it appears to be, the degree of restoration ...as detailed in the notes... should tell the rest of the story.

26 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

My views may differ a bit with the general board consensus on the subject of leaf casting.

What is the general board consensus on the subject of leaf casting as far as you can tell?  ???

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

What is the general board consensus on the subject of leaf casting as far as you can tell?  ???

My sense is that many folks would prefer no restoration if it meant a universal holder over professional work involving leaf casting and a much higher apparent grade/label.  

That perception may be incorrect, but if it isn't I'm totally fine sharing the minority viewpoint.

Totally agree but would you take a lower grade restored (extensive) book with slightly brittle pages and have massive leafcasting work done just to get an higher grade ?  Depends on the book of course but i would keep the lower grade with the slightly brittle pages book as it is ,unless it was crumbling away. 

Halfway through this thread some people have mentioned the Detroit trolley collection with some pics of the comics they purchased. Does anybody still have a copy of the price list that Marnin had/sent out for the comics from this collection. I am particularly interested in the More Fun's he had for sale.(thumbsu       

July auction - some highlights

Superman #1 CGC 5.0
Superman #1 CGC 6.0 (A-5)
Superman #1 CBCS 5.0 Ext Amateur

Wonder Woman #1 CGC VF 8.0
Detective Comics #37 CGC VF+ 8.5

Captain America Comics #3 CGC 7.0
Captain America Comics #3 CGC 5.0

All Star Comics #8 CGC 5.0
All Star Comics #8 CGC 4.0

Batman #4 CGC NM- 9.2
Superman #6 Central Valley CGC 9.0
Marvel Mystery Comics #48 San Francisco Pedigree CGC NM 9.4
Mystic Comics #9 CGC VF 8.0

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

July auction - some highlights

Superman #1 CGC 5.0
Superman #1 CGC 6.0 (A-5)
Superman #1 CBCS 5.0 Ext Amateur

Wonder Woman #1 CGC VF 8.0
Detective Comics #37 CGC VF+ 8.5

Captain America Comics #3 CGC 7.0
Captain America Comics #3 CGC 5.0

All Star Comics #8 CGC 5.0
All Star Comics #8 CGC 4.0

Batman #4 CGC NM- 9.2
Superman #6 Central Valley CGC 9.0
Marvel Mystery Comics #48 San Francisco Pedigree CGC NM 9.4
Mystic Comics #9 CGC VF 8.0

The all star 8 Cgc 5.0 and 4.0 are too similar to be in the same auction (eye appeal and grade)

On 5/31/2020 at 5:03 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Supes 1 just continue to show up 

I guess this must mean that it's actually much more common than even Bat 1 or Cap 1 then.  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

Was taking an initial look at the upcoming Heritage Signature Auction and was wondering if a book with a detached centerfold should really grade as high as CGC 7.0:  ???

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F4%2F2%2F4%2F22424395%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Makes me kind of wonder how high the book would have graded if the centerfold had been attached to the rest of the book.  hm