• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

That’s one of the best Torch post-war Schomburg covers that isn’t airbrushed or combating klan villainy.

Sez who?

1 minute ago, buttock said:
3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Sez who?

The 5 qualifiers isn't enough to sway you?

I have one, and I don't think it is even in the top six of the late number Schomburg Marvel Mystery covers. 67,68,69,70,74,and 76 are better...and 86 is just way cooler. That doesn't include postwar Human Torch, All Select and All Winners covers.

mm71.jpg

It is even doubtful that this was the best Schomburg cover for Marvel Mystery 71. I am sure he had a killer first choice cover for that month, but accidentally sent in this alternate from his "discarded cover" pile.

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It is even doubtful that this was the best Schomburg cover for Marvel Mystery 71. I am sure he had a killer first choice cover for that month, but accidentally sent in this alternate from his "discarded cover" pile.

Well he did say "one of the best", which could be inclusive of all of them.  

1 minute ago, buttock said:
4 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Well he did say "one of the best", which could be inclusive of all of them.  

DOH! I stand corrected...

26 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I have one, and I don't think it is even in the top six of the late number Schomburg Marvel Mystery covers. 67,68,69,70,74,and 76 are better...and 86 is just way cooler. That doesn't include postwar Human Torch, All Select and All Winners covers.

mm71.jpg

You just don’t don’t have a mummy fetish

10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

mm71.jpg

Well, that's a very nice one.  You should consider cracking it out so we can all take a closer look from cover to cover.  BTW, #70 isn't by Schomburg, it's by Vince Alascia.  :baiting:

Seriously, I'm quite fond of several you mentioned (#76 is another classic as is the Timely Club on #74, and yes there's his All Select & All Winners covers), but #71 has a lot of cool stuff going on too.  

Hey, it's perfectly fine if you prefer other Schomburg covers over this one. :foryou:

10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

lol  Naw, ...and trust me, it's a huge improvement over the cover of #70! 

Keep safe, and never imbibe the Corona!

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

9 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Well, that's a very nice one.  You should consider cracking it out so we can all take a closer look from cover to cover.

Been done!

Holy cow :whatthe:

This is a fantastic price (144K) for a restored Supes 1

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/superman-1-dc-1939-cgc-apparent-fn-60-slight-to-moderate-a-2-off-white-pages/a/7229-92076.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Likely hoping for a scrape job to get to it blue label.

Edited by Gotham Kid

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I’d say 100% certain Thats what multiple bidders presumed. 

9 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Holy cow :whatthe:

Ths is a fantastic looking copy for a CGC grade of only 6.0 Fine:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F2%2F2%2F0%2F22220551%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Definitely seems to present a whole lot nicer than your standard CGC 6.0 graded GA books, especially since the back cover looks just as nice.  ???

Or is CGC looking at the parts of the book that have been restored and then factoring them all in as defects which really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense?  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F2%2F2%2F0%2F22220551%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Definitely seems to present a whole lot nicer than your standard CGC 6.0 graded GA books, especially since the back cover looks just as nice.  ???

Or is CGC looking at the parts of the book that have been restored and then factoring them all in as defects which really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense?  (shrug)

Lot of interior work done 

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I think the grade is misleading.  If it presents better tha 6.0 in a restored holder, then that should be the grade.  It seems like the book is being penalized twice for the professional restoration.   Unless there is something else terribly wrong with the book internally, 6.0 is too much of a hit on it Grade-wise judging from the overall appeal.  Seriously, this book looks 8.5 or better in the scan.  Just my 2 cents.

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Lot of interior work done 

Hey Rick;

Hope this is just a typo on your part here and you really meant to say lots of imteror damage or defects that have NOT been worked on?  ???

Especially since their Restoration Rating of A-2 already takes into account the extent and quality of the restoration work done.  Or are you also trying to say that when it comes to grading a restored book, CGC is doing either of the following:

1)  Grading the book based upon all identified restoration work as a damage or defect (regardless of the quality of the work) on the book and then downgrading the condition grade accordingly; or 

2)  Grading the book as if the identified restoration work had not been peformed and then estimating (to the best of their ability) the initial grade of the book prior to any resto work being done.

Both of these scenarios wouldn't  really make much sense :screwy:  from my point of view since I thought a restored book was supposed to be graded based upon the condition of the book AFTER the restoration work had been done on the book, with the work to be seen as CORRECTING A DEFECT on the book and hence, upgraded accordingly from what its initial unrestored grade would have been.  hm

Then again, what do I know except that virtually every single Restored book I see seems to always without exception, presents so much nicer than their assigned CGC grade.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

Looks graded correctly to me. Look at all the "spine wear". When the restoration is almost undetectable or a trim it doesn't effect the grade. When you can easily see the restoration it is a defect as it ruins the eye appeal and original book didn't appear that way. Looks like a stain as well. Didn't look at back cover. Book looks good, wouldn't say 8.5 good but spine wear and light moisture damage are better defects to have for eye appeal. 

Looked at back cover, more stains and lots of tiny cover loss spots. Needs some more restoration done. 

Edited by Myowncollector
Grammer add more

14 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Might do more harm than good if resto removed.  I don't think it is possible nor would any pro attempt at it, my opinion.

If anything remove the restoration to redo it. Not the best work.

It would need to be a 3.0 or higher to make it worthwhile as a blue label. I don't see it either.