• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

473 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2022 at 5:27 PM, sagii said:

Looks like a tape pull to me, but with .5's of classic cover books fetching big money, I don't think it will be a big detractor. Especially at 7.0 and nice PQ 

It looks kind of weird. To me it looks like a tape pull that somebody tried to color touch, but I don't think that CGC wouldn't have given it a blue label if it were that.

On 2/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It looks kind of weird. To me it looks like a tape pull that somebody tried to color touch, but I don't think that CGC wouldn't have given it a blue label if it were that.

Agree on that it looks weird, but wouldn't color touch removal get a book a universal grade? And could a book get a grade high as 7.0 with removal that could be seen as extensive on an instance like this? 

On 2/2/2022 at 2:53 PM, comicjack said:

No Centaurs either what is the world coming too :cry:

Sorry, I didn't collect any Centaurs!  :(

Maybe someone else will consign some to this auction, there's still a couple of weeks until it starts!  So far it's mostly my stuff for golden age!

On 2/4/2022 at 9:41 PM, mikefeen said:

Most of the golden age previewed so far in the February ComicLink auction are my books.  :banana:

Including both the Suspense 3 and the Marvel Mystery 4 and most (maybe all?) the Planets listed so far.

Regarding the Marvel Mystery 4, that isn't a tape pull, it's a weird printing error where the color didn't get applied in that small section.  I purchased the book from MrBedrock back in the day, and I believe he got the book graded or at least has seen the book raw, so maybe he can explain it better than I can.  It's an amazing book!  I hope the new owner loves it as much as I did while I was it's caretaker.

How come you don’t have them all listed on the CGC registry as a set? Have to imagine it would be somewhere in the top 5. At least I don’t see a registry set with your CGC handle.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:35 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

How come you don’t have them all listed on the CGC registry as a set? Have to imagine it would be somewhere in the top 5. At least I don’t see a registry set with your CGC handle.

I imagine it's probably because most of the long time GA collectors couldn't care less about the CGC registry because they are much more interested in the underlying books themselves, whereas I would assume the CGC Registry probably has much more to do with assigning points or whatever based upon the grade of a particular book.  (shrug)

My bet is that the overwhelming majority of long time GA collectors have never ever even wandered into the Registry section of the CGC website.  hm

I have a few dozen Planets of which a fair number are in similar grades to @mikefeen so I will be looking at the auction results with keen interest to see where the market stands 'post-Promise', so to speak. So, quite naturally, I hope you do extremely well, Mike, even though I will be holding on to mine!

Edited by Flex Mentallo

On 2/4/2022 at 11:41 PM, mikefeen said:

Most of the golden age previewed so far in the February ComicLink auction are my books.  :banana:

Including both the Suspense 3 and the Marvel Mystery 4 and most (maybe all?) the Planets listed so far.

Regarding the Marvel Mystery 4, that isn't a tape pull, it's a weird printing error where the color didn't get applied in that small section.  I purchased the book from MrBedrock back in the day, and I believe he got the book graded or at least has seen the book raw, so maybe he can explain it better than I can.  It's an amazing book!  I hope the new owner loves it as much as I did while I was it's caretaker.

Your books are lovely to look at, and it must have been a tough decision to sell. Are you exiting the hobby?

On 2/5/2022 at 1:09 AM, lou_fine said:

I imagine it's probably because most of the long time GA collectors couldn't care less about the CGC registry because they are much more interested in the underlying books themselves, whereas I would assume the CGC Registry probably has much more to do with assigning points or whatever based upon the grade of a particular book.  (shrug)

My bet is that the overwhelming majority of long time GA collectors have never ever even wandered into the Registry section of the CGC website.  hm

You’re probably right and fair point. I know I see some recognizable names when I look at the registry though and I have no problem with it. I think it’s fun to add up the points personally and see where you stand on the long line of impressive collections out there. Definitely possible it may not matter to many people though.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:23 AM, ThothAmon said:

Or there aren’t enough hours in a day …

Pretty much this.  I have nothing against the registry, but it's also not something that ever drove my collecting.  If I had more time for my many hobbies, I would maybe have found time to put at least the Planets and Batman runs up on the registry.  But that never happened, so now if someone wants to increase their registry point totals there are a few highest graded Planets in this auction!

On 2/5/2022 at 6:16 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

I have a few dozen Planets of which a fair number are in similar grades to @mikefeen so I will be looking at the auction results with keen interest to see where the market stands 'post-Promise', so to speak. So, quite naturally, I hope you do extremely well, Mike, even though I will be holding on to mine!

Might be in both our best interests if you help set the 'post-Promise' market with some strong bids! :flipbait::takeit::banana:

On 2/5/2022 at 9:45 AM, mikefeen said:

Depends how you define 'exiting the hobby' I guess.  I always knew that to retire I would need to liquidate my collectibles, so with the strong prices in 2021, I accelerated that process by a few years from the original plan.  So I'm exiting the high end collecting part of the hobby, but I'll always love comics and have them around me.  Now it's just going to be in the form of hardcover reprints mostly.

You and I may be running on parallel paths

On 2/5/2022 at 4:02 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

But you’ve still got some good books, I thought. This may be your visualization of the future, but this doesn’t tell your full story. Right?

Over the past few years I've focused on building a library of hardbacks, across a wide range of subjects. Posted elsewhere on this forum quite recently.