• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

473 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2022 at 8:42 PM, G-G © ® ™ said:

Yes, I didn't mean to be critical of  collectors who like these books, I just don't like them myself. They seem devoid of the character and aesthetic charisma that I get out of GA books, but we like what we like I guess.

I should be grateful that people chase these books, less competition for GA gems.

Oh heck yeah. Truth is I'm surprised more collecters who are into Silver Age and newer haven't switched their attention to GA's. Glad they haven't. 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:26 AM, sagii said:

But I'd go as far as to say DC Comics Presents #26 changed DC's fortunes. If George Perez along with Marv Wolfman had not taken this assignment (he reportedly is on record that he really wanted to do primarily the JLA for DC) who knows where the company would be now. The book was so successful DC tasked the creative team with taking that momentum and high profile to revamp their entire universe (Crisis on Infinite Earths) to give a clean slate to their dated characters and attract new readers and hard core Marvel fans to come on board. 

Exactly right. At the time, the only other strong seller for DC was probably LSH.

WOW. Just browsed the auction- the selection of Timely marvels & capt americas etc,  and the planets totally blew me away.  Many I've never seen in auction before. Unbelievable "heroes fighting and being tortured by monster villains" covers (yes, that's a sub-genre in my database).   Wondering if a mega buyer is going to sweep through those like what happened during the promise auctions.  I would for sure.

On 2/16/2022 at 5:16 PM, Point Five said:

Yes to all this!  :applause: A much more polished presentation of what I was thinking. And if you jumped into the New Teen Titans run a year or two late (I did too), DCCP #26 (hard as it may be to believe today) was one of those milestone books that always seemed out of reach... if you could find one at all in the 80s it was up on some LCS wall at quadruple the price you could afford. Loosely analogous to X-Men #94, in a sense.

On 2/16/2022 at 6:10 PM, Rip said:

Personally I think there is a good argument (like a lot of other people think) that DC Comics Presents 26 is the first Copper age book.

Yes, that's about right. That was a lot of money for a comic at that age back then, lol.

And I agree, it certainly should be the book age usher book! 

On 2/16/2022 at 11:47 AM, Black Bat said:

WOW. Just browsed the auction- the selection of Timely marvels & capt americas etc,  and the planets totally blew me away.  Many I've never seen in auction before. Unbelievable "heroes fighting and being tortured by monster villains" covers (yes, that's a sub-genre in my database).   Wondering if a mega buyer is going to sweep through those like what happened during the promise auctions.  I would for sure.

Not sure about a mega buyer scooping up all of these GA beauties that you are talking about, but it certainly does look like a mega consignor who had consigned the large majority of these GA books to CL for this auction here:  :whatthe:  :applause:

On 2/4/2022 at 9:41 PM, mikefeen said:

Most of the golden age previewed so far in the February ComicLink auction are my books.  :banana:

Including both the Suspense 3 and the Marvel Mystery 4 and most (maybe all?) the Planets listed so far.

Good to see some of the other competing auction houses getting their hands on some of the quality GA books for auction, because it's never good for the consumer if there's a monopoly.  Especially if it's a Heritage monopoly and much better to spread the wealth around a bit, although I am a bit surprised it's CL as opposed to CC although they are making great strides in moving up the GA food chain.  (thumbsu

On 2/3/2022 at 2:28 PM, sagii said:

Doesn't kick off till the 17th, but might as well post the two standouts (among many others on the Timely side) 

This one

00083911565000110013021002.jpg

I cannot even imagine what this will go for the way the market has been.The fun starts tonight with so many great books to empty the wallet lol

On 2/17/2022 at 1:14 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure about a mega buyer scooping up all of these GA beauties that you are talking about, but it certainly does look like a mega consignor who had consigned the large majority of these GA books to CL for this auction here:  :whatthe:  :applause:

Good to see some of the other competing auction houses getting their hands on some of the quality GA books for auction, because it's never good for the consumer if there's a monopoly.  Especially if it's a Heritage monopoly and much better to spread the wealth around a bit, although I am a bit surprised it's CL as opposed to CC although they are making great strides in moving up the GA food chain.  (thumbsu

Not gonna lie, my reasons for going with CL had nothing to do with looking out for the consumer!  (:

I've sold a few things in the past through CL and everything was at or above the GPA comparables of the time.  And so far, everything to do with the sale has been top notch on CLs end. 

I guess if in a few weeks everyone is talking about the sweet deals they got in this auction I'll know I screwed up, but for now I'm happy to be consigning in this auction!

On 2/17/2022 at 7:46 PM, mikefeen said:

Not gonna lie, my reasons for going with CL had nothing to do with looking out for the consumer!  (:

I've sold a few things in the past through CL and everything was at or above the GPA comparables of the time.  And so far, everything to do with the sale has been top notch on CLs end. 

I guess if in a few weeks everyone is talking about the sweet deals they got in this auction I'll know I screwed up, but for now I'm happy to be consigning in this auction!

You've got the good stuff.  Prices will be somewhere between strong and insane.  I don't think it would matter which of the big 3 auction houses you used.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:03 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 2/17/2022 at 7:35 PM, Dark Knight said:

And the highest bid thus far belongs to the FF 5 CGC 9.2 lol

what he said lol

Oh, come on guys, the old GA fogeys always wait until the end before they show their hand........................now with the FF5, I will say that's about the one and only single SA book that I've ever wanted since it features the first appearance and origin of Doctor Doom.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Now, if it was a copy of that Transformers 1 that was sitting up there at the top after the first day, then I would totally agree with you.  :p  lol