• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

473 posts in this topic

I was trying to remember what I paid for a couple of books that I have in this auction, so I was checking my previous bids tab on CLink.  In case anyone else was thinking of doing this...  DON'T DO IT!  Especially if yours goes back to like 2010.  You'll want to find a time machine, travel back in time, and kick your past self's butt for being such a cheapskate.

Edited by mikefeen

On 2/18/2022 at 7:09 PM, mikefeen said:

I was trying to remember what I paid for a couple of books that I have in this auction, so I was checking my previous bids tab on CLink.  In case anyone else was thinking of doing this...  DON'T DO IT!  Especially if yours goes back to like 2010.  You'll want to find a time machine, travel back in time, and kick your past self's butt for being such a cheapskate.

Hot tub time machine, wherefore art thou?

On 2/18/2022 at 10:02 PM, szav said:

I know you're not even watching the Suspense #3, and you secretly have your eyes on these 9.9s.  Clink does certainly seem to be the venue of choice for 9.9 BA/CA/MA.  Looks like one of the 9.9 aficionados is cashing out anyway, that and/or they decided to live with identical looking 9.8s.

image.png.be1bbcbccda28dc304510324a9a9c556.png

image.png.f1ba79c91cee74af7c71b92dd69c76a8.png

image.png.a0d2125f5711c7c889679a85b165b043.png

image.png.6337834eb3e051d569f6166537579616.png

image.png.4191f3671f8bc5d39cf67a4ef19d7b5c.png

Of the group, ASM194 is not the one I'd expect to be leading right now.:whatthe:

On 2/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, mikefeen said:

Tax man says you must.  So, yes, damn well better do it.

On 2/19/2022 at 6:07 AM, goldust40 said:

As it happens, I went through my entire bidding history on Clink yesterday (about 12 pages). I won a fair few, but some of the ones I missed out on due to not manning up... :cry:

I'm not a big fan of "manning up." If I can't get something for a good price, then I don't want it.

I did "man up" and pay for this book on CLink back in 2013, though. I paid much more than I thought I'd have to.

(I think you had some books in that auction, @goldust40, but I don't know whether this was one of them.)

1905161937371.jpg

Mystic32dollars.PNG

On 2/22/2022 at 12:00 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not a big fan of "manning up." If I can't get something for a good price, then I don't want it.

I did "man up" and pay for this book on CLink back in 2013, though. I paid much more than I thought I'd have to.

(I think you had some books in that auction, @goldust40, but I don't know whether this was one of them.)

1905161937371.jpg

Mystic32dollars.PNG

I had quite a few Mystics in that specific auction yes, but that wasn't one of them.

On 2/21/2022 at 5:00 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

1905161937371.jpg

Mystic32dollars.PNG

I am going to crawl way out on a limb and say I think you did okay on it.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:04 PM, goldust40 said:

I had quite a few Mystics in that specific auction yes, but that wasn't one of them.

From what I remember the Atlas horror books all sold for very strong prices in that auction. Then in 2014 they all took a nosedive.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:18 PM, batman_fan said:

I am going to crawl way out on a limb and say I think you did okay on it.

Well, I haven't seen a comparable copy for sale since then, and it's one of my favorite Atlas covers, so I don't regret the purchase, but I doubt it would sell for any more than that if I were to auction it off today whereas other books I could have gone after have gotten much more expensive.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 2/21/2022 at 7:57 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

It's a great book, but I think that all Bronze is in a huge bubble. As many copies as there are in the census, there are many, many more raw copies out there.

Possibly. A leap from $115 to about $1,000 in this grade in 12 years is remarkable, IMO. It has held steady at an average of about $800-ish since before COVID. Only since inflation has dug our claws into us in the last 6 months or so has the book been pushing over $1,000. Sellers on EBay are asking over $2k and almost $4k in some cases. I could have bought 9 of these things in 2010 for what one is selling for today. I have to laugh when I remember I took carp from the little woman for spending the $115 back then.

I realize that people can ask whatever they want and may not get it. Recent history has shown us something else remarkable. We have seen some really foolish people spending foolish money on books that really aren't worth a damn in a sane world. Books that are far more heavily populated than this one is. It helps though to remember that the beginning of the Bronze age was essentially 51 years ago. A whole bunch of collectors weren't even alive then. To them, it is the same way I look at the Golden Age.

Same should be said about HOS 92. And IH 181. Are they too trapped in a bubble? The average collector seller seems to have thrown the OPG right out with the bath water and are setting their own prices and determining value for themselves without the guidelines or yesterday. Like population, 1st appearances, noteworthy events like a death or birth of a sustainable character.

I would LIKE to say EBay ISN'T setting the bar for values but it kinda is. Same with these auctions seeing record sales. What's missing seems to be common sense on both the buyer and sellers part.

I would LOVE to see raw copies of key bronze age books start to emerge from collections that haven't seen the light of day for years. Bought and then tucked into a box and done. And you know what? I bet 10,000 copies of 8.0-9.4 raw copies of Bat 251 (for example) hitting EBay wouldn't change the selling price one single bit.

On 2/21/2022 at 4:00 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

1905161937371.jpg

Mystic32dollars.PNG

There’s no artist acknowledged for this? Who did the art?