• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

473 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2022 at 9:13 PM, goldust40 said:

I have a complete set of all the Atlas horror and war titles, along with most of the crime

(worship)

On 2/21/2022 at 5:00 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not a big fan of "manning up." If I can't get something for a good price, then I don't want it.

I did "man up" and pay for this book on CLink back in 2013, though. I paid much more than I thought I'd have to.

(I think you had some books in that auction, @goldust40, but I don't know whether this was one of them.)

1905161937371.jpg

Mystic32dollars.PNG

Great book!  But even in 2013 this wasn't the highest graded copy.   The 8.5 is in a first generation label.  

On 2/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, buttock said:

Great book!  But even in 2013 this wasn't the highest graded copy.   The 8.5 is in a first generation label.  

Yes, the CLink web site was incorrect (as it often is).

But "highest-graded" doesn't mean much to me, anyway. There are probably some raw copies out there that are just as nice (but this 8.0 copy does appear to have been very tightly graded).

Do you own the 8.5?

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 2/21/2022 at 8:40 PM, Randall Ries said:

I would LOVE to see raw copies of key bronze age books start to emerge from collections that haven't seen the light of day for years. Bought and then tucked into a box and done. And you know what? I bet 10,000 copies of 8.0-9.4 raw copies of Bat 251 (for example) hitting EBay wouldn't change the selling price one single bit.

I bet it would, but not necessarily immediately.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yes, the CLink web site was incorrect (as it often is).

But "highest-graded" doesn't mean much to me, anyway. There are probably some raw copies out there that are just as nice (but this 8.0 copy does appear to have been very tightly graded).

Do you own the 8.5?

Yeah, Spokane.  I'll try to get a scan up.  

On 2/21/2022 at 4:00 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not a big fan of "manning up." If I can't get something for a good price, then I don't want it.

I did "man up" and pay for this book on CLink back in 2013, though. I paid much more than I thought I'd have to.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, buttock said:

On 2/23/2022 at 10:32 AM, buttock said:
On 2/23/2022 at 10:29 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Do you own the 8.5?

Yeah, Spokane.  I'll try to get a scan up.  

Looks like the both of you were pretty astute and made the right play by "manning up" on a real toughie of a book to find in grade. :applause:

According to the CGCdata.com database, it looks like your Spokane copy was one of the early certified books as it was graded prior to July 1 of 2001, while jimbo's CGC 8.0 graded copy was graded in the latter half of 2008:  :luhv:

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/6914/6mo

No other copy yet to be certified either at or above both of these condition grade levels in all of the long intervening years since then.  (thumbsu

On 2/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Would you rather own the Batman #1 CGC 3.0 unrestored or the Detective Comics #27 CGC 7.0 with a solid amount of resto?

Considering how much more common the unrestored Bat 1 is along with the significantly worse PQ, I would personally tend to lean more towards the Restored copy of the much rarer 'Tec 27 even in extensive Restored condition.  (thumbsu

Especially considering the fact that there is already 56 Universal copies of Bat 1 in higher graded condition than this CGC 3.0 copy, while there is only a total of 22 copies, whether Universal or Restored in higher graded condition than this restored CGC 7.0 copy with White Pages.  In adddition, besides the far superior PQ, this A-rated (i.e. Excellent) restored WP copy of 'Tec 27 just simply presents so nicely relative to its assigned CGC 7.0 grade.  :cloud9:  :takeit: