• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
6 6

473 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

Instead of the TOD the buyer could have gone taken home both the Batman 1 and the Cap 1....with a little something left for a nice bar tab.

2 books that utterly destroy the significance of the latter.

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Or just a tad over $10K more than the last time it sold for $21,510 as one of nine CGC 9.6 then highest graded copies at Heritage back in 2014:  :gossip:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, The Amazing Spider-Man #7 Twin Cities pedigree (Marvel, 1963) CGCNM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

You are saying the 9.8 was a 9.6??!!

Unless there's more than one Twin Cities copy of this ASM #7 book here?  (shrug)

Especially when the serial number for the old Twin Cities copy is now no longer in the system. hm

And it's at this point here where Tim usually chimes in with his classic signature saying: 

"Man, I really really love this hobby" or words to that effect.  :devil:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
3 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

DETECTIVE COMICS #168 CGC 4.5 sold for $13,513.00.

Marty

Is that high or low? Or like Goldilocks, just right?

With a price point like this, I believe it could be interpreted all 3 ways.  :bigsmile:

It just depends from which point of view you are looking at this from, whether you are the one of the active bidders, the consignor, or just a looky loo observor. hm

Although there was no last minute run up on the price for this book here, I personally thought it sold for a strong price relative to its assigned CGC grade:

RAD7B27E2019730_123235.jpg

Although I have always personally preferred the Fighting Yank 21 cover over this one here, the price still seems surprisingly strong to me at $4,700.  :whatthe:

4 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I was the under-bidder on the Cap 23. The book looked kind of loosely graded, but I still thought it would go a little higher; I thought my bid was a low-ball.

I'm shocked how low the Captain America Comics #23 San Francisco Copy went for.  9.2 guide is $8500 & it sold for less than guide!  For a San Francisco?  Crazy!

The previous owner wanted $5000 for it back in1999 or so... and sold it!

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Although there was no last minute run up on the price for this book here, I personally thought it sold for a strong price relative to its assigned CGC grade:

Although I have always personally preferred the Fighting Yank 21 cover over this one here, the price still seems surprisingly strong to me at $4,700.  :whatthe:

Time to bring my 8.0 to market.

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Time to bring my 8.0 to market.

Just took a quick look at the Heritage archives and it looks like this book doesn't really come to market that often.  In fact, there's only been 2 graded copies that have sold on Heritage with one of them being a CGC 8.0 graded copy that sold for $2,390; with the only other graded copy being one that sold way back in 2002.  Looks like Metro has had more luck with this book as their CC auctions indicate a total of 5 graded copies auctioned off over the years.  hm

Looks like the Fighting Yank 21 is indeed much scarcer as their census count comes in at half of the count as compared to the Fighting Yank 23.  In addition, it looks like Heritage has scored only a big fat ZERO when it comes to graded copies of this HTF book here, although they did have a couple of raw copies way back in 2004.  Once again, it looks like Metro has had better luck with this book in terms of 3 copies on their CC auctions, but all 3 only in low to mid-grade range.  :takeit:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Just took a quick look at the Heritage archives and it looks like this book doesn't really come to market that often.  In fact, there's only been 2 graded copies that have sold on Heritage with one of them being a CGC 8.0 graded copy that sold for $2,390; with the only other graded copy being one that sold way back in 2002.  Looks like Metro has had more luck with this book as their CC auctions indicate a total of 5 graded copies auctioned off over the years.  hm

Looks like the Fighting Yank 21 is indeed much scarcer as their census count comes in at half of the count as compared to the Fighting Yank 23.  In addition, it looks like Heritage has scored only a big fat ZERO when it comes to graded copies of this HTF book here, although they did have a couple of raw copies way back in 2004.  Once again, it looks like Metro has had better luck with this book in terms of 3 copies on their CC auctions, but all 3 only in low to mid-grade range.  :takeit:

The Ha 8.0 is not my copy and is a POS next to mine. I graded it years ago and never brought to market. It looks 9.0.

2 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

The Ha 8.0 is not my copy and is a POS next to mine. I graded it years ago and never brought to market. It looks 9.0.

:idea:  Then it's probably time for you to have it graded and placed into an auction to hopefully pull in some big dollars.  hm  :wishluck:

5 minutes ago, comicnoir said:
14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

:idea:  Then it's probably time for you to have it graded and placed into an auction to hopefully pull in some big dollars.  hm  :wishluck:

It is graded. One of the 2.

Any chance that it might have been caught up in one of CGC 's tight grading time periods and might possibly grade out higher on a straight resub?  :wishluck:

Strange that so few of them have come to market over the years, especially considering that a total of 46 copies are listed on the CGC census.  I guess a book like this tends to be a definite keeper and locked away longer term in private collections once a collector is lucky enough to get a hold of one of them.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

2 hours ago, Timely said:
7 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I was the under-bidder on the Cap 23. The book looked kind of loosely graded, but I still thought it would go a little higher; I thought my bid was a low-ball.

I'm shocked how low the Captain America Comics #23 San Francisco Copy went for.  9.2 guide is $8500 & it sold for less than guide!  For a San Francisco?  Crazy!

The previous owner wanted $5000 for it back in1999 or so... and sold it!

Well, like I've stated on here before, if I was the consignor of a key or pedigree GA book, CL would most assuredly not be my go to auction venue. hm

Now, if it was a Tomb of Dracula 10 or a Marvel Super-Heores 13 in uber high grade, I would be dialling Josh's number already.  lol

The other factor that might also be affecting the lower than normal result for this copy here is the fact that they had another nicely presenting CGC 6.5 graded copy right below this one here.  It is never a good idea to go into an auction with other competing copies to face off against you.  doh!

Seeing that it is one of those old label slabs, this is probably right in the sights of somebody like Ritter who's on the ball and has a habit of snapping up old label slabs from these auctions, crack them out, resubmit for a higher grade, and then magically have them show up on his site at substantially higher prices, with buyers then seemingly more than willing to beat down his doors to pay for the book at that point in time.  :devil:  :screwy:

Looks like they've got a nice little run of the Moon Girl comics coming up for auction tonight.  hm

Nah, better not............gotta save up all of my little nickels and dimes for that once in a lifetime irreplaceable TOD 10.  :bigsmile:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, like I've stated on here before, if I was the consignor of a key or pedigree GA book, CL would most assuredly not be my go to auction venue. hm

Now, if it was a Tomb of Dracula 10 or a Marvel Super-Heores 13 in uber high grade, I would be dialling Josh's number already.  lol

The other factor that might also be affecting the lower than normal result for this copy here is the fact that they had another nicely presenting CGC 6.5 graded copy right below this one here.  It is never a good idea to go into an auction with other competing copies to face off against you.  doh!

Seeing that it is one of those old label slabs, this is probably right in the sights of somebody like Ritter who's on the ball and has a habit of snapping up old label slabs from these auctions, crack them out, resubmit for a higher grade, and then magically have them show up on his site at substantially higher prices, with buyers then seemingly more than willing to beat down his doors to pay for the book at that point in time.  :devil:  :screwy:

Another possible factor may be how late the auctions end, which may prevent  EU or APAC bidders from participating toward the end of the auctions.