• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wachowskis' THE MATRIX 4 starring Keanu Reeves (5/21/21)
4 4

462 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, mattn792 said:

That, and there's the very basic problem of...

Reveal hidden contents

...they both died at the end of #3.

The Architect told Neo (and showed Neo) the 5 previous incarnations of himself (all 5 versions of Neo always looking exactly the same) always chose to save a few survivors, but he (the 6th Neo) was focused on saving Trinity.

Using the story we're already given, a 7th Neo would look identical to the first 6.

39 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The Architect told Neo (and showed Neo) the 5 previous incarnations of himself (all 5 versions of Neo always looking exactly the same) always chose to save a few survivors, but he (the 6th Neo) was focused on saving Trinity.

Using the story we're already given, a 7th Neo would look identical to the first 6.

This I don't remember since its been so long since I saw the movie, but that certainly gives the Wachowski's an out.  It also kind of paints them into a corner for all future Neo-centric movies.  They either have to keep using Keanu Reeves, even when he's long dead (is The Matrix Reanimated, starring zombie Keanu Reeves awaiting us in the distant future?), or come up with some lame excuse for why the architect switched the settings on his cloning machine from Reeves to whoever is drafted as the next Neo.

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

This I don't remember since its been so long since I saw the movie, but that certainly gives the Wachowski's an out.  It also kind of paints them into a corner for all future Neo-centric movies.  They either have to keep using Keanu Reeves, even when he's long dead (is The Matrix Reanimated, starring zombie Keanu Reeves awaiting us in the distant future?), or come up with some lame excuse for why the architect switched the settings on his cloning machine from Reeves to whoever is drafted as the next Neo.

The beginning of "other Neo" visuals starts at 2:00 on this video: 

The Architect shows Neo the recorded reactions of his "previous selves".

I probably replayed that Architect scene a dozen times on Youtube after seeing the film.  It ties up a ton of loose ends left by the rest of the film, but it isn't immediately obvious which ones until you mull it over a bit.

Good to see Keanu and Moss returning to the big screen, if not a bit disconcerting considering the Wachowski's recent track record. I wonder what more story they could milk out of this, but excited, nonetheless!

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

I'm 99% sure that's wrong and that setup was just meant to show his other thoughts and/or possible reactions. Especially since there were only 5 previous incarnations of the One and a lot more screens/reactions. And at 2:18 of the video you posted, the screen to the right of the reaction that zooms through to the regular shot of him says "there were 5 Ones before me" instead of using a number that a recorded previous incarnation would have.

Even if the One always looked the same for whatever reason, there wouldn't even have to be a Trinity, let alone one who always looked the same. "While the others experienced this in very general way, your experience is far more specific, vis-a-vis love."

Edited by Lazyboy

55 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I'm 99% sure that's wrong and that setup was just meant to show his other thoughts and/or possible reactions. Especially since there were only 5 previous incarnations of the One and a lot more screens/reactions. And at 2:18 of the video you posted, the screen to the right of the reaction that zooms through to the regular shot of him says "there were 5 Ones before me" instead of using a number that a recorded previous incarnation would have.

Even if the One always looked the same for whatever reason, there wouldn't even have to be a Trinity, let alone one who always looked the same. "While the others experienced this in very general way, your experience is far more specific, vis-a-vis love."

That’s the impression I had as well, but like I said, longtime since viewing.  Didn’t seem far fetched that the machines churned out Neo and Trinity clones like the Dominion did Vorta.

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
23 hours ago, valiantman said:

There are more than 5 screens visible, so some of them are definitely "other thoughts" since the previous 5 Neo incarnations would have only had one reaction to record.

I originally thought that all of the screens were showing all of his possible reactions, rather than previous Neo recordings, but I'm not sure.  At 2:14 of the video, one of the Neo screens on the bottom has him holding up two fingers (as if that's the 3rd Neo), another bottom screen shows him holding up three fingers (the 4th Neo) and at 2:15 on the top it looks like he's holding up four fingers (the 5th Neo).

Once he gets to a "choice" that none of the other Neo incarnations ever faced, then all of the screens being shown represent him (the 6th Neo, the only one to get that far).

Edited by valiantman

I always assumed that a super advanced AI would be running simulations of every possible action Neo could take and that was showing all the other choices he could have possibly made, and that each "one" was a different person.  Otherwise they'd be cloning neo, and that's never mentioned.  Neo looked the way he did, because he actually looked like that in the real world.

A theory:

Smith was The One created by the Oracle, leading to that ending discussion with the Architect.

'Will we ever see him again?'

'I suspect so. Someday.'

Edited by Bosco685

Get ready to jack in, because it looks like Warner Bros. Pictures is ready to move forward on their plans for a fourth film in The Matrix series, forgoing a reboot in favor of yet another installment by director Lana Wachowski. And with actors Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss seemingly set to return to their roles as Neo and Trinity respectively, the revival of The Matrix looks like it has all of the pieces in place to be successful. And now it seems like the film will be gearing up to start filming sooner than we thought.

According to a new listing from Production Weekly, filming on The Matrix 4 is set to begin in February of 2020 in Chicago under the working title of Project Ice Cream. So far the only actors listed as cast members include Moss and Reeves, though it seems unlikely that the film could take place without some sort of involvement from Laurence Fishburne.

When the film was announced, Warner Bros. Pictures Chairman Toby Emmerich spoke out about the franchise and praised the fact that the core creators in the movie were returning.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering the Matrix with Lana,” Emmerich said in a statement. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in The Matrix universe.”

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

The Matrix Refrigerated

I just don't even get why they still assign film codenames if they then spill the beans what film this is in advance of shooting scenes.

But 'Project Ice Cream'?! May as well called it 'This IS NOT Spinal Tap' and leave everyone confused. :insane:

In a new interview with ET Reeves was asked about the sequel, and while he wouldn't give much away, he did confirm he has read the -script and came away impressed.

Reeves was attending a special screening of his sister and producer Karina Miller's new film Semper Fi, and when asked about The Matrix Reeves said he was "absolutely" excited about what is planned for his character. As for the -script, he also confirmed he's read it already, and added "It's very ambitious. As it should be!"

MATRIX 4 -script LEAK:

The Architect: The peace lasted about 15 years, then the humans in the Matrix rebelled.

Neo: What happened?

The Architect: Half of the people went crazy when we introduced a female president of the United States into the programming. So, we rebooted and reset memories so that never happened.

Neo: So why am I here?

The Architect: It's much worse in this version.