• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wachowskis' THE MATRIX 4 starring Keanu Reeves (5/21/21)
4 4

462 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2021 at 12:58 PM, The Brain said:

Tried to watch that but after 2 minutes in it was clear that creator had his info wrong (it was also the teaser trailers he was discussing, not the above newly released trailer)

That isn't necessarily a young Morpheus (as most are thinking it is a separate character trying to jog Neo's memory with familiarity - remember, Morpheus is 100% dead in the canon so wouldn't exist as another human in any other iteration of the Matrix).

Also the YouTuber apparently isn't too quick, and did not get that the 'random number' (in his case 6:27), was dynamically generated and put into the teasers based on YOUR local time set on your computer at the exact moment you are watching. It isn't a bible reference, as when I watched it was 9:45, and again at midnight, and another time (some time codes generate other footage and dialog, such as watching it exactly when the hour turns)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 9/9/2021 at 2:09 PM, rexinnih said:

Not trying to be a hater but the trilogy wrapped up nicely before and not needed extension. I will reserve full judgement until I actually see it but that's my initial IMHO. 

To be fair to the original trilogy, it did end with The Oracle and The Architect on a park bench saying the peace would last "as long as it can".

That basically begs for a decade or two of waiting, then a sequel... and here we are.

The trailer could have been Neo folding his laundry and I would still reluctantly go to the theater to watch. That said, I was expecting the first trailer to blow me away by showing me some effects or tech that have never been done before. They broke new ground in the original movies. Nothing made me want to rewind and watch again. That’s a trailer fail. I’m not judging the movie based off the trailer as we know some of the worst movies have great trailers and vice versa. 

On 9/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, valiantman said:

To be fair to the original trilogy, it did end with The Oracle and The Architect on a park bench saying the peace would last "as long as it can".

That basically begs for a decade or two of waiting, then a sequel... and here we are.

Except we know that peace only lasted maybe a few months before Morpheus resorted to targeted terrorist attacks after the machines refused his requests to return Neo's body (which we can see in this trailer is very much still in the machine city where he died). 

On 9/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, Sauce Dog said:
On 9/9/2021 at 2:24 PM, valiantman said:

Except we know that peace only lasted maybe a few months before Morpheus resorted to targeted terrorist attacks after the machines refused his requests to return Neo's body (which we can see in this trailer is very much still in the machine city where he died). 

What you're saying about Morpheus and Neo's body isn't part of the original trilogy.

I find myself watching this over and over. Haven't had that effect in a while. And it keeps getting better.  And yet, it still divulges nothing but insane action and mystery.

Same way Morpheus is a younger avatar of himself, the Alice in wonderland lady is an avatar of the Oracle. Someone also pointed out the rubber ducky is a coding debug method.

Maybe I'm biased, but, best trailer I've seen in a long time.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, Dr. Dank said:

If all you have is movies, how can anything outside them be canon?

huh? There isn't only movies through (and not just the animated shorts), the video game was specifically guided by the Wachowski sisters, who made it a point that the only way the developers story would be considered canon is if they killed Morpheus (which they did)

On 9/9/2021 at 8:18 PM, Sauce Dog said:

huh? There isn't only movies through (and not just the animated shorts), the video game was specifically guided by the Wachowski sisters, who made it a point that the only way the developers story would be considered canon is if they killed Morpheus (which they did)

I never played the game, how am I supposed to know this?

On 9/9/2021 at 10:20 PM, Dr. Dank said:

I never played the game, how am I supposed to know this?

Same way a large portion of the fanbase did without playing - read about it. If you are interested in it then there are plenty of places that summarize the story online without having to play it (I myself only played it for about an hour, and opted just read the rest of the story / watch the other videos for it). I'm sure the new movie will include as much information as needed to get the general public caught up with the important plot points though.

The point is, you were incorrect in saying all there was were movies (just because someone is ignorant of the other offerings does not lessen their status), and there is a wealth of stuff to explore for the main canon (with some exceptions, such as some of the webcomics being parodies or some containing conflicting continuity - but for the most part while Warner/Production has never defined what represents the official canon all of these were either written by the Wachowski sisters, or based on their approved notes, or had cut-scenes personally picked by them to go with their plans for the series)

Movies:

• The Matrix
  • The Matrix: Reloaded
  • The Matrix: Revolutions

Animatrix Stories:*

• Final Flight of the Osiris
  • The Second Renaissance (parts 1 and 2)
  • Kid's Story

Webcomics & Comic Anthologies:

• Bits and Pieces of Information
  • Saviors

Video Games: **

• Enter the Matrix
  • Path of Neo
  • Matrix Online

* I did not list all the Animatrix stories because while it could be safe to assume they are canon - as they fit in continuity - the rest are stand-alone episodes and do not impact/reference the overall world/story, meaning you can skip them if you like.

** If anything from canon is ignored or undone in the latest movie it will be from this batch of games. The first two only really dealt with side stories during the first three movies, so nothing impactful happened except for the battle against 'MegaSmith' which we are all happy to ignore because it was super lame, but the third game MxO moved the universe forward in interesting ways. I however could see them bringing Morpheus back just to appease the general audience, as there are some in universe reasons why his assassination could be undone and still make sense, but since this story beat was explicitly ordered by the Wachowski's I feel it safe to assume Morpheus as we know him is done for. I do not think they will undo the machines keeping Neo's body in the city and experimenting on it.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 9/9/2021 at 11:50 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Yeah but using a yardstick for people who don't care, I'm the majority

If that is your assumption, then better to focus on what you do appreciate going forward. Right?

But I think with Keanu Reeves' renewed popularity due to the John Wick franchise, this may drive new interest to see him back in an old role. Even the Bill & Ted Face the Music movie benefitted from this as it was a change-up.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, bronze_rules said:

I find myself watching this over and over. Haven't had that effect in a while. And it keeps getting better.  And yet, it still divulges nothing but insane action and mystery.

Same way Morpheus is a younger avatar of himself, the Alice in wonderland lady is an avatar of the Oracle. Someone also pointed out the rubber ducky is a coding debug method.

Maybe I'm biased, but, best trailer I've seen in a long time.

Has anyone mentioned that the lady in the glasses with the Alice in Wonderland book looks like she could be a grown up Sati? hm

Neo turns into Sati's father in the next second "in the looking glass".

Edited by valiantman