• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

Just finished episode 7.
The visual production value is there, but it's shot like a typical British TV show.
Either close-ups or medium shots.
Honestly, the show should have presented full screen then transition to widescreen for 'set pieces' scenes.

The reason I am jumping on now is because in Episode 7 there is a quick blunder many will miss.
Cars in Florida do not utilize / require front license plates.
It's only one scene but shows that the production team was not 'on point'.

Edited by Troy.Division

On 8/19/2022 at 11:48 PM, Troy.Division said:

Just finished episode 7.
The visual production value is there, but it's shot like a typical British TV show.
Either close-ups or medium shots.
Honestly, the show should have presented full screen then transition to widescreen for 'set pieces' scenes.

The reason I am jumping on now is because in Episode 7 there is a quick blunder many will miss.
Cars in Florida do not utilize / require front license plates.
It's only one scene but shows that the production team was not 'on point'.

Shut down any further production of this show. This will not stand!

0b34ffc4-9325-4db0-904e-84a8ed870a10_text.gif.a664f8f3f2fcb4a26245a95a212df093.gif

:baiting:

I read many posts of people trying to convince themselves they must not enjoy a production. Even that a color used on an old car was wrong because Ford didn't offer such a color at the time. The extra Florida license plate is new.

:cheers:

On 8/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, Troy.Division said:

I was afraid of this.

A reminder: Jupiter's Legacy was # 1 its first week of release as well.

And Netflix's metrics aren't just "how many people watched" but rather "how many new subscribers watched?"

On 8/21/2022 at 12:21 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I was afraid of this.

A reminder: Jupiter's Legacy was # 1 its first week of release as well.

And Netflix's metrics aren't just "how many people watched" but rather "how many new subscribers watched?"

This is no Jupiter's Legacy. Huge difference between them. And JL didn't have a surprise extra two scenes leading to it jumping back up to #1 because subscribers were excited for more.

Some people just gotta bring the negative. :canofworms:

On 8/21/2022 at 1:00 PM, Bosco685 said:

This is no Jupiter's Legacy. Huge difference between them. And JL didn't have a surprise extra two scenes leading to it jumping back up to #1 because subscribers were excited for more.

Some people just gotta bring the negative. :canofworms:

?

Not negative - just realistic. And it was Gaiman himself who issued the warning.

Frankly, it's not a good sign that it fell to # 2 in ~10 days, despite the episode 11 release and rebound. (But again - it's largely irrelevant - Netflix's key renewal metric is new subscriber attraction and retention - metrics that are far more complex than simply "everybody watched this.")

Interestingly, in that Twitter thread he also noted:

1) Should Netflix pass on a Season 2, it would be offered to competing streamers; and

2) Even if it were renewed tomorrow, we wouldn't see Season 2 until at least 2024.

On 8/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, Gatsby77 said:

?

Not negative - just realistic. And it was Gaiman himself who issued the warning.

Frankly, it's not a good sign that it fell to # 2 in ~10 days, despite the episode 11 release and rebound. (But again - it's largely irrelevant - Netflix's key renewal metric is new subscriber attraction and retention - metrics that are far more complex than simply "everybody watched this.")

Interestingly, in that Twitter thread he also noted:

1) Should Netflix pass on a Season 2, it would be offered to competing streamers; and

2) Even if it were renewed tomorrow, we wouldn't see Season 2 until at least 2024.

Where did Neil Gaiman state he was comparing the results of Jupiter's Legacy to Sandman, and due to Sandman costing more it runs the risk of not being renewed? I'm on social media following Neil Gaiman. 

You are blending two things together mistakenly that Gaiman did not say. Heck, people can't even keep straight what nextworks are producing Neil Gaiman stories.

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/21/2022 at 4:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

Where did Neil Gaiman state he was comparing the results of Jupiter's Legacy to Sandman, and due to Sandman costing more it runs the risk of not being renewed? I'm on social media following Neil Gaiman. 

You are blending two things together mistakenly that Gaiman did not say. Heck, people can't even keep straight what nextworks are producing Neil Gaiman stories.

Again, ?

Neil never compared the Sandman results to that of Jupiter's Legacy -- I did. ...Because it was also a "really expensive" comic book-based show, debuted at # 1 on Netflix and was still cancelled. 

Later on down the thread, Gaiman notes that if Netflix passes, it could still be picked up by another streaming service. Had nothing to do with Good Omens.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 4.58.58 PM.png

On 8/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Again, ?

Neil never compared the Sandman results to that of Jupiter's Legacy -- I did. ...Because it was also a "really expensive" comic book-based show, debuted at # 1 on Netflix and was still cancelled. 

Later on down the thread, Gaiman notes that if Netflix passes, it could still be picked up by another streaming service. Had nothing to do with Good Omens.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 4.58.58 PM.png

Jupiter's Legacy got trashed fairly fast as disjointed and not satisfying even comic book fans. Critics even trashed it.

RT_JL.PNG.ee130238be35f0102bfd268538413564.PNG

RT_Sandman.PNG.96bb6d0039e99cd5e9be3502e742202f.PNG

So how did you land at this assumption of unlike things other than the first week viewers rushed in to see this new comic book show?

:popcorn:

On 8/21/2022 at 5:17 PM, Bosco685 said:

Jupiter's Legacy got trashed fairly fast as disjointed and not satisfying even comic book fans. Critics even trashed it.

RT_JL.PNG.ee130238be35f0102bfd268538413564.PNG

RT_Sandman.PNG.96bb6d0039e99cd5e9be3502e742202f.PNG

So how did you land at this assumption of unlike things other than the first week viewers rushed in to see this new comic book show?

:popcorn:

Well, for one thing, an 84% audience score isn't that far off from 73%.

But more importantly - both are hugely expensive shows - and as much as I hate to admit it, Mark Millar's a far more proven box office draw than Gaiman.

Yes - Gaiman's the better, more celebrated writer - but Millar's work has made movie studios (Netflix aside) far more money than they've lost. Including:

• Wanted
  • Kick-
  • Kingsmen: The Secret Service
  • Logan
  • Captain America: Civil War

The point is, Gaiman himself has said that, as of last night, Season 2 of the Sandman is still in doubt.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:58 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Well, for one thing, an 84% audience score isn't that far off from 73%.

But more importantly - both are hugely expensive shows - and as much as I hate to admit it, Mark Millar's a far more proven box office draw than Gaiman.

Yes - Gaiman's the better, more celebrated writer - but Millar's work has made movie studios (Netflix aside) far more money than they've lost. Including:

• Wanted
  • Kick-
  • Kingsmen: The Secret Service
  • Logan
  • Captain America: Civil War

The point is, Gaiman himself has said that, as of last night, Season 2 of the Sandman is still in doubt.

Not that he is in doubt. That viewers that appreciated the show and want to see more need to convey that through their repeat viewings and spreading the word.

And his response to someone on social media about bringing it to other platforms was in the event Netflix does not renew Sandman does he have this option in his contract.

I wouldn't lose faith yet, or assume anything. Neil Gaiman is just being a realist streaming sequels are driven by subscriber viewership.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:09 PM, Bosco685 said:

I wouldn't lose faith yet, or assume anything. Neil Gaiman is just being a realist streaming sequels are driven by subscriber viewership.

Exactly.

As I said initially further up the page, our highlighting that Gaiman has publicly said Season 2 is in doubt and his actively attempting to rally the fans to help ensure it becomes a reality...

Isn't being negative...just realistic.

For me, The Sandman didn't even start getting good until after A Doll's House - and several of my favorite stories were in the 50s.

I don't need four seasons because honestly, The Kindly Ones and The Wake were weak sauce.

But I absolutely want another two seasons that take us solidly through # 19-56.

It seems so hard these days to have anything truly breakout for any extended period of time.  I'm sitting here reading how this new show "Echos" has now moved into the #1 spot of Netflix shows, and how they are waiting on Netflix to let them know if they'll get a second season.  

So many viewing options.  I guess Netflix has ways of telling if something is financially worth it?  But how many people really "subscribe" just for one show these days?

Edited by Axelrod

On 8/21/2022 at 6:31 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Exactly.

As I said initially further up the page, our highlighting that Gaiman has publicly said Season 2 is in doubt and his actively attempting to rally the fans to help ensure it becomes a reality...

Isn't being negative...just realistic.

For me, The Sandman didn't even start getting good until after A Doll's House - and several of my favorite stories were in the 50s.

I don't need four seasons because honestly, The Kindly Ones and The Wake were weak sauce.

But I absolutely want another two seasons that take us solidly through # 19-56.

I get you are about repeating the same thing as repetition can in itself start to ease people into assuming this is reality. That is not what Neil Gaiman is doing.

Like any show, he is just making it clear strong viewership numbers leads to sequels. Especially recognizing Netflix has been going through turmoil recently it wasn't even experiencing at the time of Jupiter's Legacy. This is a different period, where Netflix has to be extra selective.

Are you clear on that now? Or are you going to attempt to keep repeating the same statement looking for that to become a reality because you say it more than once?

On 8/21/2022 at 6:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

I get you are about repeating the same thing as repetition can in itself start to ease people into assuming this is reality. That is not what Neil Gaiman is doing.

Like any show, he is just making it clear strong viewership numbers leads to sequels. Especially recognizing Netflix has been going through turmoil recently it wasn't even experiencing at the time of Jupiter's Legacy. This is a different period, where Netflix has to be extra selective.

Are you clear on that now? Or are you going to attempt to keep repeating the same statement looking for that to become a reality because you say it more than once?

?

Gaiman has said Season 2 is in doubt.

That's my words - a lose, but accurate paraphrase of the screenshot @Troy.Division posted above.

One person stated, on Twitter, "I don't understand why Season 2 is even a question."

And Neil Himself responded:

"Because Sandman is a really expensive show...So yes, we've been the top show in the world the past two weeks. That still may not be enough."

He then reiterates the renewal uncertainty throughout many responses to that tweet yesterday and today.

There's literally no other way to read the exchange - or the thrust of his other tweets on the subject over the last 24 hours.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 7.14.06 PM.png

On 8/21/2022 at 7:23 PM, Gatsby77 said:

?

Gaiman has said Season 2 is in doubt.

That's my words - a lose, but accurate paraphrase of the screenshot @Troy.Division posted above.

One person stated, on Twitter, "I don't understand why Season 2 is even a question."

And Neil Himself responded:

"Because Sandman is a really expensive show...So yes, we've been the top show in the world the past two weeks. That still may not be enough."

He then reiterates the renewal uncertainty throughout many responses to that tweet yesterday and today.

There's literally no other way to read the exchange - or the thrust of his other tweets on the subject over the last 24 hours.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 7.14.06 PM.png

I posted that very same Twitter statement more than once. This appears to be you forcing yourself to read it in a way you are ignoring what I noted above.

1) Netflix is dealing with financial turmoil and excessive subscriber loss. This is a different period than the past. It has nothing to do with the portrayal in the Sandman show.

2) With this, it comes down to a large viewership response, which is why every time asks if that is what is needed Gaiman states that is right.

I'll post it large too so you read it this time.

Gaiman_Sandman.thumb.PNG.38734688a11247b5e719c644c1b3cf72.PNG

What else ya got?