• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

I've seen only the first episode so far as I rarely have more than 60-90 contiguous minutes to watch anything. I did like it,  but yea the aspect ratio is a head scratching choice.  The lead is OK, and I get it in the comic Dream had little personality, so they cast an actor who has none.

I give the first episode a B.   Same as I give score of the #1 issue of comic.  You have to start somewhere it's just a means to set up what comes after.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/14/2022 at 9:08 AM, Mr bla bla said:

For my taste, they should be loyal to the comic book source material.

whats goin on with Lucienne and Death? Political correctness at its worst? Just askn…

I don't think the gender/nationality should be as important as whether or not these actors embody the character. I think these two did a great job. And the only casting choice I thought was off was Lucifer. I would have liked someone that was clearly arrogant, disconnected, yet utterly frightening. My ideal choice would have been Christian Bale. 

On 8/14/2022 at 10:08 AM, Mr bla bla said:

whats goin on with Lucienne and Death? Political correctness at its worst? Just askn…

If the skin color of the person they casted bothers you that much that it ruins the show for you, then that’s an issue with you, not the show. These are fictional supernatural characters FFS

On 8/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, Dimez said:

If the skin color of the person they casted bothers you that much that it ruins the show for you, then that’s an issue with you, not the show. These are fictional supernatural characters FFS

While I agree with the sentiment, and I also agree with the other person who's saying that the actress for Death did an amazing job in the role, I don't believe "these are fictional characters" should be considered a legitimate reason or excuse for anything. It's cheap and has no real meaning. 

Edited by JC25427N

On 8/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Mr bla bla said:

Gaiman was "politically correct" likley before the term was even coined. He's he's doing as he's always done. Gaiman created the characters, he has every right to alter them as he pleases.  Or at least to the extent DC/TWD permits.   I respect his creative choices for HIS Characters - regardless of TWD officially owning them

Here is something to ruminate on; As 2020 59.76% of the human population on earth was Asian. That is significantly more than the majority of people alive, yet there are ZERO Asians in the cast of Sandman.   Perhaps Gaiman is not as "politically correct" as people think....?

Edited by MAR1979

The Endless don’t technically have a humanoid appearance, as seen when Morpheus interacts with Martian Manhunter in the comic book, where his appearance is very different and alien. Just something that the dominant sentient species of a world can relate to, same idea as with Galactus.  Did Morpheus also look different in the Aboriginal sequence in the comic? Can’t remember.

Point is, their default appearance isn’t set in stone as pasty Goths. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

Only watched the first episode and am looking forward to more. I read the first ten issues when they came out some thirty years ago and while I liked them, I remember nothing about them. 

I would assume immortal characters change with the times and what they might have looked like and wore in the 1980s is not what they would look like today, anymore than what they looked like in the 12th Century. I think if Jesus was to be around today, he wouldn't be wearing an ankle length robe and sandals.

6 episodes in so far. 5 was my least favorite and 6 might be my favorite.

I wasn't crazy about changing Death either. It felt very out of place. However I was still able to greatly enjoy her performance and the fantastic story.

We actually had a discussion over, "Would you want to live forever?"  And I was like, yes. My son said no you would get bored quick.

Edited by Rip

On 8/14/2022 at 8:47 PM, Gregd said:

The show was fantastic - absolutely fantastic. If you haven’t watched through episode 6 you haven’t seen the best it could be.

Dream’s character gets more and more developed. The actor was spot on.

5 stars for me 

I've already watched all 10 episodes and I've started re-watching for a second time hoping to understand why some folks this the show is "absolutely fantastic".  Thus far, I haven't come across anything to indicate the series is even good, let alone absolutely fantastic (sic)

You know one thing I was thinking about. The 6th episode was actually much stronger than the source material.

The 2nd part of Ep 6 came from issue 13.

In the COMIC, issue 13, they really don't tell you the date. But the comic came out IN 1989.
So, in the comic series, he actually meets up with the guy ON TIME in 1989. Which is the date he is supposed to meet him in the TV series.

But in the TV series he's STILL captured, so he can't meet up with him until years later.

It's really a cool twist and makes the story vastly more heart felt. You really feel sorry for the guy . 

Edited by Rip

On 8/15/2022 at 2:08 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I've already watched all 10 episodes and I've started re-watching for a second time hoping to understand why some folks this the show is "absolutely fantastic".  Thus far, I haven't come across anything to indicate the series is even good, let alone absolutely fantastic (sic)

But you're watching it in its entirety again? lol