• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 2:59 AM, davidpg said:

I read the book since it came out.  I still have my 3 copies of number 1, along with the whole run I bought as they hit the stands...I also had counciled many clients at my comic shop back then to pick up copies and read the series.  I watched the first two episodes and wasn't blown away.  It was good, not bad, though I felt it was somewhat plastic.  I fell asleep during the 3rd episode (was a ROUGH weekend ;) ), and will rewatch and continue for sure.  The comments I skimmed through here while avoiding spoilers make me sure I'll enjoy the overall show.  Let's see what happens! 

The 1st series of a lot of series is typically the worst.   The actors are still finding their rhythm, and the writers find their cadence as well.    I've no doubt, following series, we'll see things stepping up, and becoming more impressive.

I was still very pleasantly surprised they got it together so well for this first series.   It had a heck of a lot to live up to from us, the comic book readers, we're definitely the show's toughest audience.

Just made it through episode 7. I came in to this cautiously optimistic, and can say that it's easily surpassed my expectations. They've done a killer job adapting really tough source material. The acting has been superb overall- my favorite performance so far is David Thewlis, who really nailed it with his chilling John Dee. 

Now, I'm torn between dragging the series out because I don't want it to end and binging it so the metrics look better, because they need to renew this for another season.

Finished the 8-10 on a late night binge yesterday. The production team did a fantastic job with this. The series exceeded my expectations. Hopefully they continue with it for Season 2 and beyond. 

I am curious to see if they do proceed with some spin-offs from the main show. It would be fun to see a history of the Corinthian mini-series in addition to the Death and Johanna Constantine ones that Gaiman has already mentioned.

I'm a huge fan of the books, but just could not get into the show.  So much of the casting was just....off.

Don't like Morpheus's design or casting. They leaned too heavy into the emo look. He looks like he just needs a guitar, a studded belt, and some teary mascara streaks. 

Lucifer was also pretty bad. I don't get the appeal of Gwendolyn Christie for this role. If you're going with a woman, I don't think she was the right choice. She's not androgynous at all. Someone like Tilda Swinton would have been a MUCH better choice.

Lucienne bothers me too. The character was originally a crotchety, creepy old guy. Now they made the character a pretty, polite younger lady. 

But hey, according to Gaiman I'm just a racist or dummy that doesn't get it.

The show so just doesn't flow well either. And on top of all that, the production seems....I dunno....cheap or poorly done? And what's up with the aspect ratio? Everything is stretched out too tall?

Edited by Nic8612

Nice little review.  

When I was watching that episode I thought that Death was going to say her famous line when 

Spoiler

she came for the baby.  When she said (paraphrasing) "It's time little one" I thought she was going to add "You got the same as everyone...you got a  lifetime".  

Just a wonderful episode.  

On 8/13/2022 at 6:37 AM, Nic8612 said:

And what's up with the aspect ratio? Everything is stretched out too tall?

Apparently the distorted ratio was a "creative choice" by the producers. Wish I had known that before I spent half an hour messing with my TV settings trying to fix it!