• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

I was a massive Sandman comic fan, but this adaptation was a tonal mess. It had half of a good episode - the Hob Gadling stuff (with props to that actor.) I don't know what I watched, but it was not a television series. I think they should have strayed much, much further from the source material in order to pour this concept into a tv-shaped container.

Sandman the comic was very grounded and textured in its visuals. Another poster above described the production design as "plastic", and I think that's the best word for it.

Very disappointing.

Edited by BCarter27

Who's watched episode 11?

I enjoyed the "Dream of a Thousand Cats", the second story in the episode lacked a little of something.   The story came across well in the comics, but this tv interpretation lacked something, mysticism of the fate character, menace of the writers, maybe sheer gratuitous violation.   It didn't land with any impact.

I watched two episodes and the show did not capture my interest. My wife likes it, and will continue to watch it without me. She's read the Sandman comics. I've read some of them, but did not finish the comics either.

I've found that in most instances, nouveau fantasy doesn't excite me.

In fact, Gaiman declined several movie offers for “The Sandman” throughout the last three decades, but the author recently revealed that he went as far as to sabotage an idea from “Wild Wild West” and “A Star Is Born” producer Jon Peters by leaking the -script to the press.

“It was the worst -script that I’ve ever read by anybody,” Gaiman said in an interview with Rolling Stone.

“A guy in Jon Peters’ office phoned me up and he said, ‘So Neil, have you had a chance to read the -script we sent you?’ And I said, ‘Well, yes. Yes, I did. I haven’t read all of it, but I’ve read enough.’ He says, ‘So, pretty good. Huh?’ And I said, ‘Well, no. It really isn’t.’ He said, ‘Oh, come on. There must have been stuff in there you loved.’ I said, ‘There was nothing in there I loved. There was nothing in there I liked. It was the worst -script that I’ve ever read by anybody. It’s not just the worst Sandman -script. That was the worst -script I’ve ever been sent.’”

On 8/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, Orgasmic said:

Diner episode was the standout for me

I was surprised by how much I liked David Thewlis as John Dee, since I don't remember liking those sections of the comics very much.  He did a really nice job of engaging my interest.

I'm fine with all of the casting, but he is the only actor in the show that I thought was actually better than the original source material.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:27 AM, Hamlet said:

I was surprised by how much I liked David Thewlis as John Dee, since I don't remember liking those sections of the comics very much.  He did a really nice job of engaging my interest.

I'm fine with all of the casting, but he is the only actor in the show that I thought was actually better than the original source material.

He was probably chosen for this after they saw him in Fargo Season 3. He is downright menacing in that show 

I  didn't know much about Sandman - hadn't read the comics  - read Lucifer though, and enjoyed it.

Very pleasantly surprised.

Enjoyed it a lot - a special mention to the 'Death' episode - I thought they handled the subject beautifully.

I was almost moved to tears tbh

Kudos,as it could have upset people if done wrongly.

A great show - I hope they make more. 

9/10

On 8/21/2022 at 10:14 PM, BCarter27 said:

I was a massive Sandman comic fan, but this adaptation was a tonal mess. It had half of a good episode - the Hob Gadling stuff (with props to that actor.) I don't know what I watched, but it was not a television series. I think they should have strayed much, much further from the source material in order to pour this concept into a tv-shaped container.

Sandman the comic was very grounded and textured in its visuals. Another poster above described the production design as "plastic", and I think that's the best word for it.

Very disappointing.

1000% this!

On 9/2/2022 at 8:24 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

1000% this!

That was me who described the show as plastic, and that was after I had watched only the first two episodes.  After having finished the series, I can say as well that's how the whole thing felt, and it was a tonal mess.  I guess I'll watch the following seasons, I hope they can improve upon what they've started as I absolutely do want this franchise to succeed.

I guess I just don't understand how fans of the comic series could be disappointed by this.  I mean - obviously some are - but, man, what more could they have done? 

It's incredibly difficult material to adapt, given the episodic nature of the book.  But they managed it, staying remarkably faithful to the source material, both in "tone" and in "look."  

Just goes to show, you can never make everyone happy.  

Edited by Axelrod

On 9/2/2022 at 9:54 AM, Axelrod said:

I guess I just don't understand how fans of the comic series could be disappointed by this.  I mea -, obviously some are - but, man, what more could they have done? 

It's incredibly difficult material to adapt, given the episodic nature of the book.  But they managed it, staying remarkably faithful to the source material, both in "tone" and in "look."  

Just goes to show, you can never make everyone happy.  

Completely agree.

But then again I am in paradise with seeing all the characters I read as a youngster suddenly apearing on the big screen. To me that’s fantastic. If a show is not 100% perfect- I will forgive it. It’s just amazing our hobby, our passion is mainstream. I am enjoying this moment in time.