• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 2:08 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I've already watched all 10 episodes and I've started re-watching for a second time hoping to understand why some folks this the show is "absolutely fantastic".  Thus far, I haven't come across anything to indicate the series is even good, let alone absolutely fantastic (sic)

Stuff I love I rarely watch twice. I could not fathom watching something again I never like in the first place. 

I do hope to have time in the next day or 2 to catch Episode 2.  It usually takes me 8-12 weeks to complete a 10 episode series.  Time is a luxury...

Edited by MAR1979

Finally finished the series (was only doing one a day) and was pleased. Unlike most shows that have good episodes and perhaps some very bad episodes, when this was good it was VERY good and then everything else was decent - with no outright bad episodes. It had some obvious problems, but overall a great series.

The main thing that kept me from finding it something I would want to revisit or fanboy over is that I felt it suffered from not having a good well defined antagonist or endgame to work towards - the introduction and explanation of the vortex and the motivation of the Corinthian came too late to really become invested in and offer any real emotional weight or buildup. Likewise, the sudden 'it was supposed to be me' save by the grandmother at the end just came out of left field and left me unsatisfied with the resolution. The first few episodes felt well contained while Dream collected his artifacts, but after that - save for the Death episode - it wasn't all that compelling (not at all bad, but something felt lacking to me. Still enjoyed it regardless)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, MAR1979 said:

Stuff I love I rarely watch twice. I could not fathom watching something again I never like in the first place. 

I do hope to have time in the next day or 2 to catch Episode 2.  It usually takes me 8-12 weeks to complete a 10 episode series.  Time is a luxury...

I use the time working out on cardio machines to catch up on shows. 

I think it peaked at episode 6 for certain. But there was still some good episodes after. Wasn't crazy about all of the changes from the comic after 6. Some annoying. But the show really shines when Sandman is on screen. The 2nd season should have some of the greatest stories.

We just finished episode 8 and I really, really want to like it more then I do.  I dislike it in the same way I dislike the books - it's confusing and kind of boring.  I don't expect action in each episode but it's not creepy enough to have episodes muddle through with not much happening.  I'll finish it this week but I'd only be able to give it a bland C grade.

I'm with you.

Finished this last week and have been trying to decide where I land on it since. And here it is:

Uneven, and ultimately a bit disappointing.

Grade B, which includes a large positive curve just for trying it at all - and hope for better episodes in future seasons.

My actual grade for the season would be C+.

I found episodes 1-6 to be far stronger than episodes 7-10 -- with 5+6 being the two best episodes - and only ones I've re-watched so far.

Granted - I didn't really like most of the first dozen issues of Sandman - and think the series only really hit its stride with the single-issue stories that came later (including 18-20, 30, 38, 50-56).

Sure, I'd be down for multi-episode arcs of Season of the Mists or A Game of You, but honestly the issues I still recall vividly 25+ years later are all single-issue stories (including 8+13, which were brilliantly combined here in episode 6).

Bottom line: I hope it gets renewed for at least 2 more seasons and continues to improve.

Episode 11 is easily my second-favorite, after 6.

Both parts were really well done - and exactly what I wanted more of - adaptations of the single-issue stories once the series was beginning to really hit its stride.

Raises my overall rating for the series to B+.

But it also solidifies in my mind the parallels to Black Mirror - which felt similarly uneven, with episodes ranging from mediocre to masterpiece, often back-to-back.

Very amused reading the reviews here.  And I do get both sides of the coin.  It just takes me back to the late 1980s when the books were first coming out and the early reviews were pretty much just like the show reviews here.  Some people loved it, others thought it was slow and plodding or the antagonist was hollow.  In general, through A Dolls House, the comic was thought of as decent but not great.  It wasn't until the subsequent short stories and heading through Season of Mists that it really became considered a groundbreaking and largely incredible comic book.

Regardless, I think it has enough acclaim and is good enough that we are definitely going to see more seasons.  Hate it for those who are not enjoying it as much.  So far it is a solid A for me and I anticipate that rating will go up if they continue to follow the story pace of the original series.

Ep 11 was by far the best of the entire season. Cats was perfect done, and remains my favourite tale of the comics, while Calliope actually had actual emotional chemistry between Dream and another cast member - something I found lacking with basically all his interactions in the season (save for a few bright spots)

On 8/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, mcduckz said:

It just takes me back to the late 1980s when the books were first coming out and the early reviews were pretty much just like the show reviews here.  Some people loved it, others thought it was slow and plodding or the antagonist was hollow.  In general, through A Dolls House, the comic was thought of as decent but not great.  It wasn't until the subsequent short stories and heading through Season of Mists that it really became considered a groundbreaking and largely incredible comic book.

I think you've nailed it.  The show is only as good as its source material, and we remember the earlier chapters of the original comics with rose-colored glasses.  I'm caught up now through episode 11.  As expected, Episode 6 was great.  Unexpectedly, I liked the Dolls House episodes better than I was anticipating based on reviews here and elsewhere.  The "cereal" convention of collectors was genius, but the whole metaphor of the Dolls House seemed like a point Gaiman was circling around without ever actually making, just like in his original comics scripts.  I really only got fully on board with the comic after reading Calliope, and I thought this adaptation along with Dream of a Thousand Cats was very well done.

I actually hope Gaiman will take the opportunity in later seasons to tell a bunch of original stories.  A Seasons of Mist adaptation would likely work just fine, but I fear A Game of You TV adaptation would be tedious given what we have already seen as a preview of Barbie's dreamworld this season. And heaven help us if they devote as many TV hours to The Kindly Ones as there were comics chapters!  Gaiman has already departed a bit from his previous narrative, so for instance now let's see an episode about what happened to that protection stone that John Dee gave to the woman who drove him to the diner.  I don't think any of that came from the comics, so I'm looking forward to at least some brand-new narratives from the world of the Sandman next time.  :wishluck: