• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Let me be more specific:

1) I looked it up. I learned the word / concept of a "hermaphrodite" by reading Sandman # 36 when I was 14. Had to ask my mom about it.

2) A key plot point of the whole A Game of You storyline is the lack of acceptance of a teenaged transgender woman by her conservative parents. There you have it. Whatever your views on the issue, this isn't pandering - Gaiman was writing about the difficulties facing non-binary / transgender teens in The Sandman back in 1991.

I thought it was a bit much as well. Desire, fine. But it only applies to that character of all the ones on the call sheet (I think). So it seems wholly unnecessary for all the other characters. I can see it viewed as pandering as it is the only piece of info given about the characters other than their names.

In general I think the casting is fantastic.

18 hours ago, OrangeNemesis said:

the pronoun things is just ridiculous pandering. 

I don't really think its pandering anymore. It seems to be quite common now from what I've seen in business email signatures, press releases and the like. 

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:
2 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I don't really think its pandering anymore. It seems to be quite common now from what I've seen in business email signatures, press releases and the like. 

:sick:

No opinion on the usage, just pointing out what seems to be a common practice now. I'm sure this is another hill people will think they should die on, but it'd probably be like fighting a land war in Asia at this point.

It'd be one thing if Gaiman et. al. seemed to be bending over backwards to seem woke / politically correct, etc. by 2021 standards with the pronoun identifications & such.

But this is The Sandman - you simply can't tell a huge cross section of the (now 25+ year-old) stories without featuring characters who are lesbian / bi / trans, etc.

And It's not just a Game of You.

Issue # 6 features another parent who can't deal with her daughter's being gay.

Issue # 30 features Augustus Caesar being raped / sodomized by his great uncle Julius Caesar.

It feels a bit like criticizing Preacher for making Catholics look bad.

45 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

No opinion on the usage, just pointing out what seems to be a common practice now. I'm sure this is another hill people will think they should die on, but it'd probably be like fighting a land war in Asia at this point.

Naw.

One other thing about the Death casting:

I'm guessing that some of the outrage is from people betting/speculating on Sandman #8 and thinking that the casting will flatten the price on the book.
(yes - I have many copies. maybe I'll sell some - I dunno.)

1 hour ago, HighVoltage said:

One other thing about the Death casting:

I'm guessing that some of the outrage is from people betting/speculating on Sandman #8 and thinking that the casting will flatten the price on the book.
(yes - I have many copies. maybe I'll sell some - I dunno.)

I actually think the opposite will happen but will be happy to purchase copies cheap if people want to dump them

Edited by jsilverjanet

19 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

Yeah - I hear you - but then I remember that Death is viewed/interpreted a little (or sometimes drastically) differently by every single person.
She could pretty-much look like anyone.
But I admit that I'd have loved to have seen her cast as more of that Goth kind of looking character from the original material.

I'm very curious as to what Gaiman will add/subtract/change from the original series. Could he add in something from Dream Hunters or Overture so that it views as seamless cannon to Netflix viewers - or even material from Death's mini(s)?

Yeah, in any film adaptation of comics or any written word for that matter there have to be elements of change so it can support the new medium that it is being presented in.  Things that work for a novel do not always work on the big screen and vice versa. 

I personally don't think that it matters that Death is portrayed by a POC, the premise of death always seemed to me, "cute spooky" but must have a deathly look to it.  Something gothic and morbid.  So long as that is the look, cool. 

I think the only thing that would be unnerving is if Morpheus doesn't pick up a guitar and sing some of my favorite songs. 

how-to-sound-like-robert-smith-the-cure-for-under-1000.jpg

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I think the only thing that would be unnerving is if Morpheus doesn't pick up a guitar and sing some of my favorite songs. 

38 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Just like Heaven?

I thought Thrift Shop was more his thing

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Just like Heaven?

I was listening to Disintegration this morning.  Plainsong is an incredible album opener.  "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea" off of 'Wish' is usually on my phone's saved music though.  That Morpheus really knows how to put together some music.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I was listening to Disintegration this morning.  Plainsong is an incredible album opener.  "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea" off of 'Wish' is usually on my phone's saved music though.  That Morpheus really knows how to put together some music.

I prefer closedown from that album