• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

A logical example of how producers should NOT listen to all of the responses that come from social media.

neilgaiman01.thumb.jpg.080221cb8a6e6e371ac85e2e021d51ac.jpg

:roflmao:

Love Neil's response. xD

What a drama-queen post by 'ghost lord.'
Not much of a fan of the books if a casting decision bothers you so much.

47 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Love Neil's response. xD

What a drama-queen post by 'ghost lord.'
Not much of a fan of the books if a casting decision bothers you so much.

Stay away from Twitter and YouTube comments.  It’s really sad. 

On 5/26/2021 at 5:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

Ok.  I think I read like the first 4 issues way back when. I enjoyed them, but had moved on to other things by the time the Death issue appeared.

Honest question.  Can anyone tell me approximately what percentage of the time Death was portrayed in the comics as appearing as something other than "skinny white goth emo girl"?

Edited by WeR138

52 minutes ago, WeR138 said:

Ok.  I think I read like the first 4 issues way back when. I enjoyed them, but had moved on to other things by the time the Death issue appeared.

Honest question.  Can anyone tell me approximately what percentage of the time Death was portrayed in the comics as appearing as something other than "skinny white goth emo girl"?

Death's look came from the artist Mike Dringenberg who based it on his friend Cinamon Hadley. 

1783021186_CinamonHadley.jpg.c130c0a6566235570942c80dbd5ed7fd.jpg

But they kept the design generic enough where she couldn't really be locked down by race and at times could even be interpreted as gender-neutral.

Death is the second eldest of the Endless, a family of anthropomorphic beings. [Jimenez, Phil (2008), "Death", in Dougall, Alastair (ed.), The DC Comics Encyclopedia] Death is possibly the most powerful of the Endless (and one of the most powerful beings in the universe, followed closely by beings like Lucifer Morningstar, however is slightly less powerful than The Presence) having been shown (in a flashback in Brief Lives) to be virtually omniscient and being able to intimidate the Furies, who show no fear of the other Endless, simply by raising her voice in The Kindly Ones. 

Edited by Bosco685

7 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

I was excited for this before, but NOW? Now I'm flipping out as we have confirmation that arguably the greatest single issue of comics ever is going to be included (I was worried before it would be omitted in order to give more time to the main story). Good on Netflix for letting them explore everything they liked.

My favourite copy of the book; The error variant, but with a perfectly bleached cover. I felt since the error was a lack of yellow ink on the first few panels (now coloured blue) it would be an apt decision to do the same to the cover and have it standout from my other copies.

1319907743_20210128_1340091.thumb.jpg.edecf1c3e1d4c82608d5ffd89a63196f.jpg

That's a great book, but "Dream of 1000 Cats" isn't even in my top 5 self-contained issues.

I'd pick # 13, 19, 30, 50 and 38 over it.

Those are the ones that have stuck with me most over the years.

Although 18 would be # 6 

19 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

That's a great book, but "Dream of 1000 Cats" isn't even in my top 5 self-contained issues.

I'd pick # 13, 19, 30, 50 and 38 over it.

Those are the ones that have stuck with me most over the years.

Although 18 would be # 6 

#13 is a favorite. I really enjoy Hob Gadling.
I like Constantine and the music/songs referenced in #3, so that one is special.
#4 is awesome. #38 is wonderful. #19 and #50 are terrific.  I also like the Sandman Special.

50 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

#13 is a favorite. I really enjoy Hob Gadling.
I like Constantine and the music/songs referenced in #3, so that one is special.
#4 is awesome. #38 is wonderful. #19 and #50 are terrific.  I also like the Sandman Special.

Oooh...forgot about the Sandman Special, that was Orpheus & Eurydice. Although I remember at the time thinking the $3.50 cover price was extortionate.

I need to reread 1-5.

For multi-issue storylines, I think Season of the Mists was the high point, although Garth Ennis's Dangerous Habits storyline in Hellblazer just a few months later covered much of the same ground, but did it better.

19 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Oooh...forgot about the Sandman Special, that was Orpheus & Eurydice. Although I remember at the time thinking the $3.50 cover price was extortionate.

I need to reread 1-5.

For multi-issue storylines, I think Season of the Mists was the high point, although Garth Ennis's Dangerous Habits storyline in Hellblazer just a few months later covered much of the same ground, but did it better.

Ennis' run on Hellblazer is criminally underrated.
He took a hard-boiled character and drug him further through the gutter and up and down the escalator.
Fantastic run. Just some wonderful and amazing stories.

Sandman #5-7 are all very good, #5 & #6 in particular.
#5 has John Dee escaping & Morpheus encountering Scott Free and the Martian Manhunter (cameo by Oreos!)
#6 is a psychological and physical horror show. This issue should be fantastic translated to the show.
#7 we see Dream battle Dee (as much as Dream 'battled' anyone - it was usually more with words and wits) and reclaim his power.

While # 38 was the first one I read off the shelves (and I continued through to the end), # 5 has a special place in my heart because it was the first expensive Sandman back issue I bought - with my first real summer job paycheck when I was 18. Think it was $12, and I bought it from a cool little LCS in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Was astonished to see Martian Manhunter in it, as up to that point I thought Sandman was basically disconnected from the rest of the DC universe.

I also only figured out later that it was Sam Kieth art - I only knew who he was from his work in Marvel Comics Presents, and (later) Maxx.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Neil makes good point. It's like children throwing a tantrum before an event.

Hmmm - Gilbert saying goodbye to Rose - that's in issue #16.
Looks like they'll go all the way through the Doll's House & that'll be Season 1.

Getting ahead of myself - I wonder if Season of Mists will be Season 2?
I'd like for the show's mythos to grow a bit before hitting that storyline & let Mists drop during Season 3, but who knows.
I'm also curious if Gaiman/show writers would put a new storyline into the show (or place original content in a different order in the show). That could be interesting

9 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Neil makes good point. It's like children throwing a tantrum before an event.

Hmmm - Gilbert saying goodbye to Rose - that's in issue #16.
Looks like they'll go all the way through the Doll's House & that'll be Season 1.

Getting ahead of myself - I wonder if Season of Mists will be Season 2?
I'd like for the show's mythos to grow a bit before hitting that storyline & let Mists drop during Season 3, but who knows.
I'm also curious if Gaiman/show writers would put a new storyline into the show (or place original content in a different order in the show). That could be interesting

1) I don't know why they'd go in order - or even necessarily adapt every issue / storyline. And if Neil already confirmed an adaption of # 18, then they're likely going out-of-order.

2) What makes you think this is confirmed for a second season?

As shown by Netflix's recent debacle with - and cancellation of - Jupiter's Legacy (which they reportedly spent $200 million on), we have no guarantees this will hit a Season 2.

22 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

1) I don't know why they'd go in order - or even necessarily adapt every issue / storyline. And if Neil already confirmed an adaption of # 18, then they're likely going out-of-order.

2) What makes you think this is confirmed for a second season?

As shown by Netflix's recent debacle with - and cancellation of - Jupiter's Legacy (which they reportedly spent $200 million on), we have no guarantees this will hit a Season 2.

I doubt they'll go in order. But Neil did say that Netflix was interested in any stories they had, including Dream of a Thousand Cats.
Actually, I'd prefer if they mixed up the storylines with one-offs and little tied-in 3 episode runs between major storylines like 'Mist'.

No - there is no guarantee of a 2nd season. But so what? I can 'what if' it... and I might as well.

And I believe the quality of -script/actors/showrunners they've gathered are gonna run circles around freaking Jupiter's Legacy. Come on.

44 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

No - there is no guarantee of a 2nd season. But so what? I can 'what if' it... and I might as well.

And I believe the quality of --script/actors/showrunners they've gathered are gonna run circles around freaking Jupiter's Legacy. Come on.

On the one hand, I get it - if Preacher can get four seasons, surely Sandman can get at least 2-3.

But it's hard to overstate how much the failure of Jupiter's Legacy has hurt Netflix. They literally spent $200 million on the season. After spending millions to sign Mark Millar himself to a first-look production agreement, all with the aim of building a connected Millarverse of superhero properties.

And their first introductory effort failed.

They're stuck.

I've noted before that I've enjoyed more film adaptations based on Mark Millar-written properties than I have even film adaptations based on Frank Miller-written properties. His success over the last 15 years is astounding, given that he created or wrote the original storylines for:

• Kick-
  • Kingsman: The Secret Service
  • Wanted
  • Logan
  • Captain America: Civil War

The point?

There are no absolutes - even with a high-profile Sandman project.

51 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

I doubt they'll go in order. But Neil did say that Netflix was interested in any stories they had, including Dream of a Thousand Cats.
Actually, I'd prefer if they mixed up the storylines with one-offs and little tied-in 3 episode runs between major storylines like 'Mist'.

And I believe the quality of --script/actors/showrunners they've gathered are gonna run circles around freaking Jupiter's Legacy. Come on.

1) How are you doing?

2) Is it a good day for you?

3) What are you watching right now?

And I am in total agreement on that last point. :banana:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

1) How are you doing?

2) Is it a good day for you?

3) What are you watching right now?

And I am in total agreement on that last point. :banana:

1) I'm a little cranky. But thanks for asking.

2) It *is* a good day for me. It's Friday.

3) Well - I did watch Jupiter's Legacy. I've got Snyder's zombie flick queued up. Just finished the latest season of the Expanse.