• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

On 12/26/2021 at 12:07 AM, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Fingers crossed they can make this work

I'm cautiously optimistic. Given how important this is to Neil himself and how close it sounds like he's been working on the project, my thinking is that even it doesn't end up being as good as I want it to be, it'll be as good as it's ever going to be.

For decades, Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman has been considered a towering achievement in the world of graphic fiction – a fantastical epic so imaginative and broad in scope that the prospect of bringing it to the screen seemed near-impossible. Enter Netflix, which has taken on an adaptation of a comic book series like no other – a metaphysical, philosophical exploration of dreams, romance, life and death – with Gaiman on board as a developer to help shepherd it to the screen faithfully. And part of that faithfulness is conjuring a show that shape-shifts from instalment to instalment.

In the upcoming Moon Knight issue of Empire, Gaiman opened up about the genre-hopping, tone-switching approach of The Sandman on screen. “You watch Episode 1 and think, ‘Oh, I get this thing: it’s like Downton Abbey, but with magic,’” he says. “Then you’ll be wondering, ‘What the hell is this?’ by Episode 2, when you’re meeting Gregory The Gargoyle in The Dreaming. Episode 5 is about as dark and traumatic as anything is ever gonna get, then you’ve got Episode 6, which is probably the most feel-good of all the episodes.” It’s a notion that looks set to differentiate The Sandman from all the other lavish fantasy adaptations out there. “If you didn’t like an episode of Game Of Thrones, you probably won’t like any other episode of Game Of Thrones,” reasons Gaiman. “With Sandman, it’s all about surprising you. It’s all about reinventing itself. It’s all about taking you on a journey you’ve not been on before.”

As seen in the issue, here’s an exclusive image of Tom Sturridge in the central role of Dream (aka Morpheus), pictured alongside the librarian Lucienne, played by Vivienne Acheampong.

the-sandman-excl-crop.thumb.jpg.31975a885d5b7ffbd5c8dc4bc0b11b08.jpg

On 3/20/2022 at 5:42 AM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting to see how Neil Gaiman still acknowledges Alan Moore as a strong influence

Fans *hated* when Gaiman succeeded Alan Moore's run on Miracleman.

But I get that - they're two fundamentally different writing styles. Gaiman is firmly entrenched in fantasy, whereas Moore excels far more at straight superhero works.

As anticipation continues to build for the Netflix series, one fan took to Twitter to ask Neil Gaiman if The Sandman show will include Merv Pumpkinhead and details for the character's arrival. Gaiman confirmed that the animated scarecrow will indeed be in the show, though kept mum on details regarding his appearance, stating that a casting announcement is coming but being saved "for a slow news day." 

On 4/22/2022 at 11:30 AM, Transplant said:

Wonder if Sandman's future past S1 is in jeopardy given Netflix' troubles? 

Or I wonder if it increases if it helps drive more interest?

Part of what subscribers are complaining about is the historic pattern of Netflix cancelling shows after only a few seasons. Along with its ever-increasing monthly billing.

With the advertisement-based service that will possibly addressing the billing concerns. The next up is staying committed to its shows.

On 4/22/2022 at 11:44 AM, Bosco685 said:

Or I wonder if it increases if it helps drive more interest?

Part of what subscribers are complaining about is the historic pattern of Netflix cancelling shows after only a few seasons. Along with its ever-increasing monthly billing.

With the advertisement-based service that will possibly addressing the billing concerns. The next up is staying committed to its shows.

As someone whose also a big Bone fan, they don't currently have much goodwill with me in regards to honoring their commitments to shows.

Here's hoping Sandman gets better treatment.

Edited by Legion of Goom

On 4/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, Transplant said:

Wonder if Sandman's future past S1 is in jeopardy given Netflix' troubles? 

Hopefully Amazon or Discovery/WB picks it up then. I am hoping they cover the entire run and then some with the adaptation over multiple seasons. I think it has a shot if the show develops a following. Look at Lucifer, as an example.