• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

506 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

On the one hand, I get it - if Preacher can get four seasons, surely Sandman can get at least 2-3.

But it's hard to overstate how much the failure of Jupiter's Legacy has hurt Netflix. They literally spent $200 million on the season. After spending millions to sign Mark Millar himself to a first-look production agreement, all with the aim of building a connected Millarverse of superhero properties.

And their first introductory effort failed.

They're stuck.

I've noted before that I've enjoyed more film adaptations based on Mark Millar-written properties than I have even film adaptations based on Frank Miller-written properties. His success over the last 15 years is astounding, given that he created or wrote the original storylines for:

• Kick-
  • Kingsman: The Secret Service
  • Wanted
  • Logan
  • Captain America: Civil War

The point?

There are no absolutes - even with a high-profile Sandman project.

100% correct - no absolutes. Completely agree.
And yeah, I do think Netflix got stomach-punched with their Millarworld stuff & Jupiter's Legacy.
(I've enjoyed the same Millar projects you noted as well)

Netflix is probably feeling a little skittish/jumpy on those higher profile projects now.
Any leeway they may have given a project like Sandman may be gone now.

Sandman_Death.thumb.jpg.612daa25bb5f91e23ca853084458c225.jpg

A set photo from Netflix's The Sandman series may reveal our first look at the character Death of the Endless, who will be played by actress Kirby Howell-Baptiste. A fan snapped photos of production underway on The Sandman over in London, and happened to catch Howell-Baptiste in a black-colored costume that seems to invoke the Goth-style outfits Death wore in Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic series. In addition, some photos also give us a look at Tom Sturridge, who will play the starring role of Dream in Netflix's The Sandman.

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Sandman_Death.thumb.jpg.612daa25bb5f91e23ca853084458c225.jpg

When this look becomes common cosplay because of how easy it is to put together, I'm gonna >carp< myself if some lady comes up to me while I'm sitting on a bench in the park.

Me: "Aw heck. It was a good run, I guess..." & passes out.
Her: "Um, you dropped your wallet over there. Hello?"

Edited by HighVoltage
bad language?

On 6/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I was excited for this before, but NOW? Now I'm flipping out as we have confirmation that arguably the greatest single issue of comics ever is going to be included (I was worried before it would be omitted in order to give more time to the main story). Good on Netflix for letting them explore everything they liked.

My favourite copy of the book; The error variant, but with a perfectly bleached cover. I felt since the error was a lack of yellow ink on the first few panels (now coloured blue) it would be an apt decision to do the same to the cover and have it standout from my other copies.

1319907743_20210128_1340091.thumb.jpg.edecf1c3e1d4c82608d5ffd89a63196f.jpg

Love that issue, hearing that it's getting its own episode made my day!

After having started production this past October, one fan took to Tumblr to ask Gaiman for an update on the filming of The Sandman. The author confirmed that principal photography has officially wrapped and post-production is currently underway, noting he couldn't confirm any release dates but praising the work thus far on the adaptation.

Sandman_Gaiman.PNG.4928d96a2a1073b863f7dbadf1c93598.PNG