• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 San Diego Comic-Con Report #5 - Life, Death, and the Comic-Con

63 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Sorry, too far wasn't it. 

no, not at all

Chuck is just full of Chuck

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Why are some of you so hung up on Chuck? Is he just the resident punching bag? Calling these criticisms unbecoming is too kind.

He is secretly …..  the fearless leader of a MOB !! 

Dan - 

I know I only met you once, and briefly at that, but it wasn't until I started reading about gender dysmorphia that I very confusedly scrolled back up and saw your little one sentence intro that I realized this wasn't autobiographical.  I am now in a much better place mentally, and hope to see you in Baltimore this year.

:whee: 

One positive observation about Chuck; he's certainly had a very, very interesting, colourful and varied life, despite all the neurotic hypochondria and age-related crisis talk in his reports.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I don't know. He says he's "gender-fluid", whatever that means these days. Not that it matters in the long run, but I do wonder how Nanette Rozanski feels about all this. My general opinion is Chuck, you be you. Its all good.

The other thing - and this is somewhat important - is that Mile High is extremely involved in the transgender community and movement, especially in Denver. Whatever your opinion and beliefs about the LGBTQ community, I think we can all agree that kids shouldn't get beaten up.

He's providing safe spaces for kids who are having problems, and because of that, is being targeted by the Proud Boys and other fun groups. Chuck is nearly 100% full of mess, but I have to give him some credit for doing this.

Spot on statement.  I'm a 55 year old dude that grew up under very different norms but I have a 16 year old son.  He gets taught in school pretty rigorously about the LGBTQ community which is mostly about being accepting and respectful.  The last thing folks from the LGBTQ community need is to be hassled, life is already hard enough.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

:cloud9: Here is what I got from that stash:

BlueBolt_v9_5_MH_9-4.jpg

That's awesome!

I almost bought a Mile High from John Verzyl, but I never had the money to do it until he passed. I wish I had. From Edgar to Chuck to John...you don't get a finer pedigree.

:cloud9:

Going to echo what @FlyingDonut and @batman_fan said but add an observation I made a couple of weeks ago. 

I like to read comments in news articles and something along this topic came up about youth and acceptance during Pride Month.  Someone had written, "How come there isn't a straight month."  Someone else responded with one simple comment that really struck a chord with me.  They said, "No family ever shunned their child, or disowned them for being straight."  That's heartbreaking.  It really is. 

So if everything Chuck has done and bellyached about led him to where he is... and led him to give a safe environment to these kids a who may not know acceptance, and may feel isolated and alone, then that is a good thing.  That is an admirable thing.  That is something that should be celebrated. 

Because you know what happens when kids feel isolated and alone?  You know what some kids do today when they feel as if there is nothing in the world for them and that they have no place?  We find them hanging from closets. We find them taking action against themselves to get rid of that isolated and lonely feeling or lashing out upon others.  This is not saying that those who question their gender identity are predestined to commit acts of violence against themselves and others.  I am saying that kids who feel isolated and alone and who do not have a fully developed sense about them that an adult may have, may commit horrible actions to rid themselves of that isolation and loneliness. 

To tell the truth, I am tired of watching the news to see the end results of lonely and isolated kids making permanently poor decisions.  

Honestly... good for Chuck, I am actually impressed by what he was doing and have a good deal of respect for it. 

15 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

No family ever shunned their child, or disowned them for being straight."  That's heartbreaking.  It really is. 

This is not entirely true-here's one story as an example:
https://anonhq.com/lesbian-couple-cut-off--of-9-year-old-made-*spoon*-then-stabbed-him-to-death/

28 minutes ago, kav said:

Tunnel vision. You are getting tunnel vision again.  What I wrote in regards to that statement is essentially true / true overall.

At this point after a marathon of painting, I get to sleep for a few hours and then have make sure my brother actually got on his flight in LA and is here in NY and transport him to wish my mom a happy birthday.  

Night y'all.

Edited by Buzzetta

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Tunnel vision. You are getting tunnel vision again.  What I wrote in regards to that statement is essentially true / true overall.

At this point after a marathon of painting, I get to sleep for a few hours and then have make sure my brother actually got on his flight in LA and is here in NY and transport him to wish my mom a happy birthday.  

Night y'all.

good point

1 hour ago, october said:

You should get one if you don't already. Part with some sig series stuff and take the plunge. Every collector who likes golden age owes it to themselves to at least hold a few raw Church copies at some point. A lot....maybe even the majority.....of pedigrees aren't worth the hype. If anything, Church copies aren't hyped enough. Holding a 75 year old book that quite literally looks like it just fell off of the stand is really something. 

I don't have a ton, but I'm lucky enough to own issues of his that I really enjoy. These might not exist today without Chuck's intervention. 

punch 19.jpg

001.jpg

greenmask8.jpg

001 (248).jpg

I can’t agree enough. Hands down the best collection ever found. For whatever reason he did it, Church either had vision or was crazy. In hand, the most amazing books out there. Bone white pages, perfect structure and just brilliant dripping inks. Oh, and that smell..,:luhv: Every serious collector needs to own at least one.

October, you have some real sweet ones there and looks like you “get it”. In-slabbed and raw. So you can soak in all of what this pedigree is all about. 

Is that Punch one of John McLaughlin’s “cat pee” copies? I remember seeing a large pile of un-bagged Chesslers just sitting on his living room floor before one of his many cats relieved themselves on them. 

11 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Going to echo what @FlyingDonut and @batman_fan said but add an observation I made a couple of weeks ago. 

I like to read comments in news articles and something along this topic came up about youth and acceptance during Pride Month.  Someone had written, "How come there isn't a straight month."  Someone else responded with one simple comment that really struck a chord with me.  They said, "No family ever shunned their child, or disowned them for being straight."  That's heartbreaking.  It really is. 

So if everything Chuck has done and bellyached about led him to where he is... and led him to give a safe environment to these kids a who may not know acceptance, and may feel isolated and alone, then that is a good thing.  That is an admirable thing.  That is something that should be celebrated. 

Because you know what happens when kids feel isolated and alone?  You know what some kids do today when they feel as if there is nothing in the world for them and that they have no place?  We find them hanging from closets. We find them taking action against themselves to get rid of that isolated and lonely feeling or lashing out upon others.  This is not saying that those who question their gender identity are predestined to commit acts of violence against themselves and others.  I am saying that kids who feel isolated and alone and who do not have a fully developed sense about them that an adult may have, may commit horrible actions to rid themselves of that isolation and loneliness. 

To tell the truth, I am tired of watching the news to see the end results of lonely and isolated kids making permanently poor decisions.  

Honestly... good for Chuck, I am actually impressed by what he was doing and have a good deal of respect for it. 

I second this. Too many people fear what they do not understand. People are all different. We all have a God given right to be what we are or want to be in this world as long as it does not infringe on others. I do not claim to understand people who are different than me. What might be odd to me is perfectly normal to others. Who am I to judge them?

I also commend Chuck for coming out and helping others like himself to deal with what they are. There is far too much tragedy and sadness in this world as is. Like him or not, for whatever reason you might personally have, he has lived his life on his terms and a lot of people are better off because of it. 

I am also a little concerned about him though. He seems to be having a hard time coping with life right now. Show a little human compassion folks...

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Is that Punch one of John McLaughlin’s “cat pee” copies? I remember seeing a large pile of un-bagged Chesslers just sitting on his living room floor before one of his many cats relieved themselves on them. 

Yep. Only reason I was able to afford it at the time.