• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021?)
7 7

1,711 posts in this topic

It was June 2020 when his phone rang one afternoon, with Kevin Feige on the other end. The Marvel Studios boss asked if the actor had a few minutes to chat. At first, Cox thought there was a chance he was being put on. “You never know. It was wild,” says the Daredevil star of that moment.

The call was not a hoax — it was a tremendous opportunity. Matt Murdock was officially joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And his first appearance after the devastating 2018 Netflix cancellation of Daredevil would be Spider-Man: No Way Home. Cox was equal parts shocked and elated.

Also in the scene was Jon Favreau, playing Happy Hogan. And it was not lost on either Cox or the Iron Man director that he, too, had a Daredevil connection, playing Foggy Nelson in the 2003 film starring Ben Affleck as the superhero. The duo could not help themselves and tried to sneak in a tiny nod to that film, Cox reveals.

“I don’t think they used it, but we added a little Easter egg where he goes, ‘Yeah, I’m a little foggy on how that happened,’ or something,” Cox says. “That was a cool moment for me to meet him and chat about all that stuff.”

Still, he and good pal Andrew Garfield, who returned to play a version of Spider-Man, found themselves in a bit of a precarious situation when they met one day for lunch while they were both in Atlanta, their No Way Home production days overlapping. “While we were sitting down, it occurred to both of us, ‘Oh, mess. If we’re filmed here together, that’s not a good sign.’ So we ended up sitting facing the wall, both of us,” Cox says, laughing.

Cox and his Daredevil co-star Vincent D’Onofrio (Kingpin) have remained close friends in the years since the series ended. And during its run, D’Onofrio told a nervous Cox, season after season, he was sure their time as the characters wasn’t over, even before the cancellation. As it happened, he was right, with D’Onofrio’s Kingpin introduced in the Disney+ series Hawkeye one day before No Way Home hit theaters. And with both their characters now officially in the MCU, the possibilities are thrilling — for the duo and fans.

“Look, I don’t have any idea what anyone’s plans are at this stage, but I presume there’s more for us to do,” Cox says, before confessing, “I know a little bit — not a huge amount — but a little bit. I am imagining, I am hoping, that our worlds will collide again because the stuff we’ve done in the past was tremendous fun to do, and he’s such an incredible actor. We have to start every conversation with, ‘What do you know?’ because you have to be careful. It’s really exciting.”