• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

491 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2022 at 8:56 AM, The Commissioner said:

Maybe when you keep incest alive and well in your family, times get a little tough.

Slightly off-topic, but hey, incest is heavily featured in all of Martin's works and was a big part of European royal history, so maybe it IS on-topic--isn't incest more of a long-term problem and not a high risk of problems with any given kid?  I thought the reason incest is problematic is that any undesirable traits in your family's DNA--say a history of cancer, or Alzheimer's, or heart disease, or whatever--just stays in the line and doesn't get bred out, so mixing in DNA from different families without those issues makes the line stronger.  So unless Targaryens are particularly prone to cancer or something there shouldn't be much issue with incest, and certainly no higher chance of death in childbirth unless that itself were hypothetically a Targaryen genetic trait.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:03 AM, fantastic_four said:

Slightly off-topic, but hey, incest is heavily featured in all of Martin's works and was a big part of European royal history, so maybe it IS on-topic--isn't incest more of a long-term problem and not a high risk of problems with any given kid?  I thought the reason incest is problematic is that any undesirable traits in your family's DNA--say a history of cancer, or Alzheimer's, or heart disease, or whatever--just stays in the line and doesn't get bred out, so mixing in DNA from different families without those issues makes the line stronger.  So unless Targaryens are particularly prone to cancer or something there shouldn't be much issue with incest, and certainly no higher chance of death in childbirth unless that itself were hypothetically a Targaryen genetic trait.

I don't know enough about this topic to have a thoughtful discussion. Just trying to make a joke :cheers:

There was hand wringing on the thread about LOTR: Rings of Power taking too long to release season two by some GOT: HOD fans.  Turns out that RoP, which has been filming season 2 already for some time, is going to be coming out before GOT: House of Dragons (maybe HoD appears in 2024, could be later) and Star Wars: Andor (also not started filming which saddens me, but I'll wait).  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but see here:

The Game of Thrones prequel’s debut season just aired its finale this week, but production on season two doesn’t start until early next year. “Don’t expect [season two] in ’23, but I think sometime in ’24,” HBO chief Casey Bloys recently told Vulture.

“I think sometime in 2024 opens the door to later.  Not sure why these shows are not turning around faster.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 11/1/2022 at 4:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Ah, I see, the false dichotomy.

That does not mean what you think it does. 

And you are missing the point.  I am ok with shows acting like movies  (Star Wars came out when I was 11 and we did not get third movie until I was 17)). But I am surprised they are not running a tighter schedule.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 11/1/2022 at 6:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

So, a hasty generalization.

You are a master of misusing terminology. The phrase “some GoT: HoD fans” is by definition not a generalization because of the qualifier “some.”  

On 11/1/2022 at 10:01 AM, sfcityduck said:

That does not mean what you think it does. 

And you are missing the point.  I am ok withers shows acting like movies  (Star Wars came out when I was 11 and we did not get third movie until I was 17)). But I am surprised they are not running a tighter schedule.

Untrue.

No, I see your 'point'. You're trying to pit fans of 2 different shows against one another, for some odd reason.

On 11/1/2022 at 7:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Untrue.

No, I see your 'point'. You're trying to pit fans of 2 different shows against one another, for some odd reason.

Nope.  Again carefully read the thread and your misconceptions will be dispelled.

The point is to share news about this popular show - in part because similar news caused handwringing by some HoD fans on the RoP thread so I assume it will be of interest to some here. Me, as I said over on the other thread, not a big concern.I have never not seen a sequel because passage of time.  The handwringing was overwrought (and now for those who did it ironic. Were you one of them?

On 11/1/2022 at 10:18 AM, sfcityduck said:

Nope.  Again carefully read the thread and your misconceptions will be dispelled.

The point is to share news about this popular show - in part because similar news caused handwringing by some HoD fans on the RoP thread so I assume it will be of interest to some here. Me, as I said over on the other thread, not a big concern.I have never not seen a sequel because passage of time.  The handwringing was overwrought (and now for those who did it ironic. Were you one of them?

It's not a misconception. Your mention of RoP in the HoD thread (and vice-versa) was transparent.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

Safe bet.  We will not be seeing either show till 2024.  One just started filming, one is slated to start filming early 2023.  This type of show seems to take a minimum of 12 months to make, but around 18 months seems to be more typical at this point. ROP has already stated it may be upeards of 2 years (again 18 months seems likely, and filming did start about 1 month ago). I saw a few reports claiming HoD is targeting December 2023 (I highly doubt they will make it), but more likely early 2024.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:40 PM, drotto said:

Safe bet.  We will not be seeing either show till 2024.  One just started filming, one is slated to start filming early 2023.  This type of show seems to take a minimum of 12 months to make, but around 18 months seems to be more typical at this point. ROP has already stated it may be upeards of 2 years (again 18 months seems likely, and filming did start about 1 month ago). I saw a few reports claiming HoD is targeting December 2023 (I highly doubt they will make it), but more likely early 2024.

I agree. And I would rather for the sake of quality the studios don't rush just to get new content out. Always target quality story first.

On 11/1/2022 at 4:46 PM, Bosco685 said:

I agree. And I would rather for the sake of quality the studios don't rush just to get new content out. Always target quality story first.

If I were to make a guess, I think HoD will come out February or March 2024, and RoP will come out a month or two after that.  My logic behind this is that HBO has been producing content like this much longer than Amazon. This it is a matter of experience, and not a comment on quality. HBO productions did manage to get the early Seasons of GoT out about once per year with very high quality, so they are capable of doing it. Amazon, when it come to this type of production, is still very inexperienced, so they would be wise to take a little more time, since they are still learning. Amazon productions is not the well oiled machine that HBO and WB is at this time.

But, this is just fun speculation nothing more.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:04 AM, drotto said:

If I were to make a guess, I think HoD will come out February or March 2024, and RoP will come out a month or two after that. 

I would take that bet especially since the head of HBO suggested it could take longer than that and RoP has a substantial head start on both shooting and it’s special effects build out.  But who cares? I would also bet fans will wait and be excited when the shows come out.  I wonder how long Andor will take given it uses real sets and is getting an even later start.  No handwringing necessary though.

Good article on intervals between seasons for those interested or concerned:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/house-of-the-dragon-rings-of-power-andor-season-2-return-date-1235250335/amp/

The lede:

House of the Dragon,’ ‘Rings of Power,’ ‘Andor’ Fans Face Long Waits for Season 2

Epic TV means an increasingly epic wait for new seasons, as two-year hold times — perhaps, even three — become the norm for lavish productions. (And you can sort of blame 'Game of Thrones' for this.)