• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAME OF THRONES: HOUSE OF THE DRAGON series (2022)
3 3

491 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2022 at 11:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I can't follow this show with the constant random time-jumping. One episode, they convey that it's been less than 6 months since something happened, and now the characters have been recast for a 10-year jump. That's not good writing within a single season, IMO.

Yes a lot of people have had similar complaints. FYI this season is just a glorified prologue to get all the players on the board for a civil war. Before the finale the jumps are done and I don’t think we will see this in the second season. It’s not intended to be a long, drawn out story like GoT. I guess I had the expectation of these jumps so it didn’t bother me much but I get what you are saying. 

On 10/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, bentbryan said:

...I don’t think we will see this in the second season. It’s not intended to be a long, drawn out story like GoT.

So, it's more like a bad season of GOT than the good ones (1-6)...? lol

Consistency is definitely something that the audience wouldn't be interested in, ep-to-ep or season-to-season... /s

I was kinda liking the show until many were recast and I had to figure out WTF is even happening (again).

On 10/24/2022 at 7:47 PM, marvelcollector said:

Judging from Aemond and Lucerys' comments, interesting that they don't seem to have full control of the dragons.

Viserys did say something along the lines of, "The idea that we control the dragons is an illusion."

On 10/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, bentbryan said:

Yes a lot of people have had similar complaints. FYI this season is just a glorified prologue to get all the players on the board for a civil war. Before the finale the jumps are done and I don’t think we will see this in the second season. It’s not intended to be a long, drawn out story like GoT. I guess I had the expectation of these jumps so it didn’t bother me much but I get what you are saying. 

Glorified prologue is a perfect description.  Now we have to wait for the real story.  :pullhair:

On 10/26/2022 at 9:49 PM, marvelcollector said:

Was there a scene where Daemon (or maybe it was somebody else) took three eggs?

I was wondering if maybe those were the three eggs that later hatch with Danerys.

Yes, Daemon took 3 eggs that came from Syrax, Rhaenyra’s dragon. In Fire and Blood these are not Dani’s dragons and they also hatch. From what I’ve heard, Dani’s eggs might come from Dreamfyre, who we saw briefly in a cave with young Aemond. 

On 10/24/2022 at 8:47 PM, marvelcollector said:
On 10/24/2022 at 9:35 AM, The Commissioner said:

Aemond appeared to look regretful about what his dragon did to Lucerys, so I image that everything will be okay. :cheers:

Judging from Aemond and Lucerys' comments, interesting that they don't seem to have full control of the dragons.

They also set that up to happen earlier in the episode by alluding to the fact that nobody alive had used dragons in warfare, and that they only had history to consult for the best way to leverage them.  So the subtleties of dragons making their own decisions in combat when their own lives were in danger wasn't something that generation of Targaryens had apparently thought of until then.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 10/24/2022 at 1:10 PM, Artboy99 said:
On 10/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, fantastic_four said:

Awesome episode, I'm all in now.

Still not sure I get Rhaenys not devouring all of the Hightowers in episode 9.  I get that it would have been politically messy as she alluded to, but it would have avoided war.

not her decision to make, and by not doing that she showed her loyalty to the Queen.

I can think of a better way to show her loyalty to the Queen--have Meleys cough up the heads of Alicent, Otto, Aemond, and Daeron at Rhaenyra's feet like a cat coughing up hairballs.  But I guess that avoids the Dance of the Dragons and makes the next few seasons moot, so can't do that.  :blush:

On 10/25/2022 at 4:02 PM, bentbryan said:

Are we going to talk about the birthing scenes in this show? I have no issue with beheadings or dismemberment shots but I squirm during these sequences. It’s freaking messed up. 

:jawdrop:

Having Rhaenyra agonizingly pinch out a stillborn baby and pick it up was definitely more than I wanted to see.  :fear:

My main problem with the childbirth episodes was that the show makes it look like there's a 50/50 chance a mother would die in childbirth in this era without modern medicine when the historical rate from the 19th century and before is currently thought to be under 1%.  Not only did Aemma and Laena die but Aemma says "the child bed is our battlefield" which seems exaggerated given the real rate of death by childbirth.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:52 AM, fantastic_four said:

My main problem with the childbirth episodes was that the show makes it look like there's a 50/50 chance a mother would die in childbirth in this era without modern medicine when the historical rate from the 19th century and before is currently thought to be under 1%.  Not only did Aemma and Laena die but Aemma says "the child bed is our battlefield" which seems exaggerated given the real rate of death by childbirth.

Maybe when you keep incest alive and well in your family, times get a little tough.

Edited by The Commissioner