• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,036 posts in this topic

Nice!   Those last Savage Sword's (with #235 being the last issue in the series) are tough to get in high grade  --though I have no clue what the newsstand ratio was, but it certainly is not in the 1/100 ballpark, given what I remember when I was looking for it on eBay, in fact, the two copies MCS has available now are both newsstands  (I did manage to find a very nice newsstand copy on eBay, still sealed in its subscription bag and I plan to keep it that way when/if I ever sell it).

On 3/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, djzombi said:

Check the UPC box.  "Spider-Man Family"?  REALLY?  

That's a cool aspect to clue in on!

I know ASM #601 through about #609 are the same way on the UPC box, especially with the Newsstand versions, but wolverine/spider-man  ???

lol

On 3/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, djzombi said:

Check the UPC box.  "Spider-Man Family"?  REALLY?  

Spider-man is everywhere! :banana:

I had an uncut sheet of The Death of Superman cards that the notation on the edge of it said Spiderman..

20220304_204655.jpg

20220304_204705.jpg

20220304_204636.jpg

20220304_204617.jpg

On 3/4/2022 at 9:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's a cool aspect to clue in on!

I know ASM #601 through about #609 are the same way on the UPC box, especially with the Newsstand versions, but wolverine/spider-man  ???

lol

This happened toward the end of when Marvel was offering newsstand editions (and mostly only through Barnes and Nobel). If they wanted to offer a new title there was a fee associated with that so they would just put titles that they had already sold on the barcode and sell that issue under the wrong title. That Wolverine issue would have rung up as "Spider-Man Family" at the cash register. I have a ton of Fantastic Four issues that say Astonishing X-men near the barcode because when it was replaced by FF and then later returned, FF kept the Fantastic Four designation on the newsstand. The funny thing was they actually fixed this a few months before they stopped selling them altogether. The last few issues of Fantastic Four that they offered actually say Fantastic Four. I wonder if they were getting complaints because they couldn't track sales of the correct titles?

On 3/6/2022 at 10:27 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

My super random contribution for today :p

708B2C4C-823C-4E87-BBFE-9F8500733CB0.thumb.jpeg.2a60617992ead81315735b761c2e68aa.jpeg

Apologies if this has been discussed but I wonder about Archie newsstands because I don't ever remember seeing them for sale at any comic shops I went to.  Were the majority of the copies sold AT newsstands? 

On 3/6/2022 at 4:34 PM, Beastfeast said:

Apologies if this has been discussed but I wonder about Archie newsstands because I don't ever remember seeing them for sale at any comic shops I went to.  Were the majority of the copies sold AT newsstands? 

I don't think so. I bought a few of these last year for fun, then did my research on them. From what I've seen, Archie newsstand editions are more common than newsstands from other publishers but remain less common than their direct counterparts.  They amount to variants you can have as opposed to variants you can't find in a month of looking. My guess is that the ratio of direct to newsstand Archies is about 3:1 to 8:1, depending on the year and title.