• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Signatures in Comics
7 7

190 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2019 at 2:37 PM, AlexH said:

Martin Nodell doesn't have too many SS.

The rarest one I have is Fred Kelly - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Kelly_(comics)

Pretty sure I have the only one done by him. 

He was at SDCC many times and signed a lot of my books. Here are a couple. Big All American is double signed!

comallamerican61a.jpg

comallamerican61b.jpg

combigallamerican1.jpg

combigallamerican3.jpg

combigallamerican2.jpg

Lilly Renee, female GA artist at Fiction House is also quite rare. She attended only one comic related appearance at SDCC. She was only there one day I believe. She was real unhappy that people were commending her comic book work only. She felt that the was more of a "fine artist". Signed for a while and left. I was lucky to get a couple books signed. Sorry, don't have them handy.

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I don't know how rare Gil Kane's is. I saw him at the SDCC in 1995 and brought a couple of books for him to sign. He was quite upset when he saw that I had Marty Nodel sign it first. He apparently didn't get along with Nodel and thought he had stolen Kane's "thunder". I figured since Nodel had created the original character, his sig would be appropriate. Julius Schwartz eventually calmed him down and they both signed my books as well.

comshowcase22a.jpg

comshowcase22b.jpg

comgreenlantern1a.jpg

comgreenlantern1b.jpg

Though I admire his work, Kane was a tool.  So arrogant - especially when it came to Nodell.  I don't understand Schwartz either.  He bad-mouthed Marty to me (not knowing we were close friends) "Oh, he was a terrible artist!".  I just don't understand that type of behavior.

12 minutes ago, Moondog said:

Though I admire his work, Kane was a tool.  So arrogant - especially when it came to Nodell.  I don't understand Schwartz either.  He bad-mouthed Marty to me (not knowing we were close friends) "Oh, he was a terrible artist!".  I just don't understand that type of behavior.

I don't get that either. Both Marty and his lovely wife Carrie were such wonderful people. Kane was only going to sign only one of my books even though there was no one else there other than me. Schwartz eventually told him to do it. Can't say I'm a big fan of either really. It was just the opportunity...

18 hours ago, Comicdave said:

I unfortunately don't have his signature on a comic, but I have a Wally Wood signature. In my early years of attending comic-cons I would take a sheet of sketch paper and have several artists and writers sign it. On one sheet I have the following signatures. Jack Kirby, Wally Wood, Jim Steranko, Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Terry Austin, Bill Sienkiewicz, George Perez, Howard Chaykin, Mike Grell, Brent Anderson and Alan Weiss. On another sheet I have John Romita, Marshall Rogers, Roy Thomas, Jim Shooter, Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Nestor Redondo, Ernie Chan, Mike Kaluta, Don Glut, Marty Pasko and Peter Ledger. 

Wood is not one of the common ones, whether signed Wallace or Wally Wood.

10 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have a Schomburg Cap I believe. Yeah, not a lot of his sigs floating around. Yours looks right to me. I was right in front of him when he signed my book.

Though primarily a pulp and Golden Age artist, Schomburg was long lived and did freely sign at the shows he attended.

In all my years I have never seen a Matt Baker or HG Peter sig and have only seen 1 Basil Wolverton. LB Cole is tough to come by. I believe there are a lot of 3rd tier artists who probably never signed a comic, not to mention all those who went to WWII and never came home.