• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Signatures in Comics
7 7

190 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

I believe Mike Wieringo quite tough, died way too young :(

showed it a few years ago and got a lot of PMs

220980509_FRIENDLYNEIGHBORHOODSPIDER-MAN3.thumb.jpg.4393d396a93db283c059f84f71deeb6d.jpg

707551497_SolarManoftheAtom1.jpg.0d287090ba7f0eef6bb6a77b9a32bb1b.jpg

That’s very close to his death too. He died just 2 months later I believe.

1 hour ago, october said:

My New Adventure 29 is double signed. I've seen a few Flessels, but I don't think I have seen another Vin Sullivan. 

adv 29.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Wow, that is a TOUGH one. Never seen another. Too bad he used a sharpie. Probably bleeds through and has spread.

Is there such a thing as getting a signature for free at a con? I never paid for one ever and I posted a number of mine in this thread.

Not that it matters to me anymore because I can’t think of many living artists that mean much to me now.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:37 PM, AlexH said:

Martin Nodell doesn't have too many SS.

The rarest one I have is Fred Kelly - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Kelly_(comics)

Pretty sure I have the only one done by him. 

I've got a Nodell. Bought back in the early 90s so not as

Screenshot_20230513-104302.thumb.png.2a51d9b4cbd002fe2ffca9d3d6d8c530.png

Screenshot_20230513-104319.thumb.png.43a113a35f65aad5bca438b1b803752f.png

At the time it was solicited new through comic book stores after a couple of months after the issue was originally released. From memory I think it cost me $2.50

This is an uncommon signature.  I met Jay Disbrow around 20 years ago at a NY show.  Very nice man.  I asked him to sign the splash page to his story using the name he used at the time, Jay, instead of Jayson which he used for the rest of his career.  I bought a colored sketch from him as well. 

IMG_6123.jpg

IMG_6124.jpg

On 5/13/2023 at 9:58 AM, *paull* said:

Anyone ever see signatures in comics by any of these artists:

Matt Fox
Robert Webb
Pat Boyette
Carl Burgos
Bill Everett
Bernie Krigstein
A.C. Hollingsworth

I have seen one Everett on a piece of OA. I have also seen Hollingsworth on a couple comics. Interesting note. Baker gets attention among other things because he was black. Hollingsworth was also black and working around the same time as Baker.

All of these people are near impossible to have signed items. 

On 5/13/2023 at 4:51 PM, Robot Man said:

I have seen one Everett on a piece of OA. I have also seen Hollingsworth on a couple comics. Interesting note. Baker gets attention among other things because he was black. Hollingsworth was also black and working around the same time as Baker.

All of these people are near impossible to have signed items. 

I tried to come up with some really tough ones.  I think that if these signatures existed, they might have been artist to a friend or artist to a family member.

Good point about Hollingsworth.  He was a terrific artist, and very innovative.  He did some very unusual page compositions.