• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Signatures in Comics
7 7

190 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2023 at 9:24 PM, *paull* said:

A few more...  any books signed by the following?

Jack Cole
Di*k Briefer
Bernard Baily
William Gaines
Jerry Iger
Harry Chesler

A Chesler would be cool to see.

When I was a tot back in the 1970s my brother in law took me out to a car show in Winnipeg. I was only about 7 or 8 and I wasn't interested in all of the car stuff, but there was a booth that drew my attention. Captain Canuck #1 was just released by a small local comic company, Comely Comix, and they had set up a table at the show to try to draw some interest. They were giving away posters and they had a guy there in a Captain Canuck suit. The way it worked was the posters were free, and if you bought a comic you got a free signature in it from Captain Canuck himself! I stood in line for a long time (for a kid) and got a poster and comic, both signed by CC himself!

I looked through my books and sadly that copy is no longer in my collection. There was a time in the 1990s when I stopped collecting so one of my nieces or nephews probably hooked it out of the boxes I still had at my parent's place (lack of room in the small apartments I lived in at the time). I really wish I still had it - it would be one of the prides of my collection. 

On 5/13/2023 at 5:12 PM, comicwiz said:

Bode is a tough one

image.thumb.png.c53c586c84318fc2942e29b68d95b7ca.png

I stumbled onto a graded Zap Comix 1 that had a full Robert Crumb sig. I know this is not common. I remember the late @EggsAckley was thrilled to find a signed Zap 1 when he did back in the day, but if I remember correctly, his was an R. Crumb.

zap1-Crumb-signed.thumb.jpg.59c5c708b51d322cac4ba4fcfc61e1cc.jpg

I've only found one exemplar sig that was his full sig, and it was an old serigraph.

signed-Crumb.thumb.jpg.c5d628708a83245586153c5366f8f64c.jpg

There were at least two appearances by Mr. Crumb that a CGC witness attended (one in 2010 and one in 2011) but I believe all the Signature Series books had “R. Crumb”. Nice find!

On 5/15/2023 at 12:07 AM, DocGo said:

There were at least two appearances by Mr. Crumb that a CGC witness attended (one in 2010 and one in 2011) but I believe all the Signature Series books had “R. Crumb”. Nice find!

Thanks! Do you happen to know which books they were? For me it was about having the first print (Plymell printing), first works signed, I know that is a pretty rare thing beyond the part of Crumb signing his full name.

On 5/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, Terry JSA said:

Here’s a Bob Kane signature from a TEC #168 that I used to own. 

BF90EDEB-BF10-4933-BD0F-7280FB74E116.jpeg

3CB7CD98-99D1-4C66-A472-F264BE3736C3.jpeg

Might want to crop out the voldy label on your post.. as your post might get removed 

On 5/15/2023 at 7:52 AM, Terry JSA said:

Here’s a Bob Kane signature from a TEC #168 that I used to own. 

BF90EDEB-BF10-4933-BD0F-7280FB74E116.jpeg

3CB7CD98-99D1-4C66-A472-F264BE3736C3.jpeg

NEVER let someone sign on newsprint with a Sharpie! It spreads and bleeds through in time. Ball point pen is the way to go and make sure it dries before you close the cover. 

On 5/15/2023 at 4:54 AM, comicwiz said:

Thanks! Do you happen to know which books they were? For me it was about having the first print (Plymell printing), first works signed, I know that is a pretty rare thing beyond the part of Crumb signing his full name.

Unfortunately I did not keep a list. I remember a third print of Zap #1, XYZ, and Funny Animals (signed by Spiegelman as well) got done but can’t remember the rest. My apologies :foryou:

On 5/15/2023 at 1:18 PM, DocGo said:

Unfortunately I did not keep a list. I remember a third print of Zap #1, XYZ, and Funny Animals (signed by Spiegelman as well) got done but can’t remember the rest. My apologies :foryou:

No worries, appreciate you chiming-in. That Funny Aminals sounds great! I've got this one (see below) and another that came from Don Donahue, via Bob Sidebottom's old stock, that came back purple label. :cry:

funny-aminals.thumb.jpg.3141db65d62a2864124553ff1df03694.jpg