• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Signatures in Comics
7 7

190 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Is Gil Kane's rare? I have one....at least I am 99% it is him. I will share pics and my story when I am home. 

Gil Kane is common. Aside from the Kane signatures I've seen on mostly splash pages and some covers, I've noticed no shortage of CGC graded books noting, "Gil Kane written on 1st page". IMO, for an artist whose majority of output preceded CGC's signature series, his signature is among the more readily accessible ones.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Gil Kane is common. Aside from the Kane signatures I've seen on mostly splash pages and some covers, I've noticed no shortage of CGC graded books noting, "Gil Kane written on 1st page". IMO, for an artist whose majority of entire output preceded CGC's signature series, his signature is among the more readily accessible ones.

Fixed that for you.

Gil's not common. He's not rare, but he's not common, either. 

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Fixed that for you.

Not common compared to Stan Lee, but quite common compared to Ditko. It's all relative. While I see very few books being sold as "Gil Kane autographed", I run across CGCed books with "Gil Kane written...…" quite frequently. My guess is that the majority of books notated like that on the label will bear authentic Gil Kane autos on the splash, and not just the name "Gil Kane" written by someone that isn't Gil Kane.

IMO, the uncommon ones are Ditko, which I very rarely see legitimately signed pieces of, and the ones you never see, for love of money, like Guardineer, O'Mealia, Sullivan, Sven Elven, Burgos, and the like.

Edited by James J Johnson

13 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Not common compared to Stan Lee, but quite common compared to Ditko. It's all relative. While I see very few books being sold as "Gil Kane autographed", I run across CGCed books with "Gil Kane written...…" quite frequently. My guess is that the majority of books notated like that on the label will bear authentic Gil Kane autos on the splash, and not just the name "Gil Kane" written by someone that isn't Gil Kane.

IMO, the uncommon ones are Ditko, which I very rarely see legitimately signed pieces of, and the ones you never see, for love of money, like Guardineer, O'Mealia, Sullivan, Sven Elven, Burgos, and the like.

Sure...and there are a ton of comics signed by Siegel, Shuster, and Bob Kane. Any creator who died before fandom existed, like O'Mealia or Matt Baker, or early into it, like Everett, are going to be prohibitively rare, just because there wasn't anyone to ask them to sign their work. There are others, like Ditko and Mazzuchelli, who simply refuse to sign at all. 

As well, people whose output was limited to the Golden Age, even if they lived into the era of fandom, like Burgos, Sullivan, Guardineer, Schomburg, Bernard Bailey, and the like, aren't going to have a lot of signatures because that sort of thing just wasn't done to very rare and valuable books until the era of Sig Series. 

Oddly enough, there are a dozen or so Craig Flessel SS out there, for example.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

17 minutes ago, Comicdave said:

On one sheet I have the following signatures. Jack Kirby, Wally Wood, Jim Steranko, Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Terry Austin, Bill Sienkiewicz, George Perez, Howard Chaykin, Mike Grell, Brent Anderson and Alan Weiss. On another sheet I have John Romita, Marshall Rogers, Roy Thomas, Jim Shooter, Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Nestor Redondo, Ernie Chan, Mike Kaluta, Don Glut, Marty Pasko and Peter Ledger. 

Pic? 

8 hours ago, Comicdave said:

I unfortunately don't have his signature on a comic, but I have a Wally Wood signature. In my early years of attending comic-cons I would take a sheet of sketch paper and have several artists and writers sign it. On one sheet I have the following signatures. Jack Kirby, Wally Wood, Jim Steranko, Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Terry Austin, Bill Sienkiewicz, George Perez, Howard Chaykin, Mike Grell, Brent Anderson and Alan Weiss. On another sheet I have John Romita, Marshall Rogers, Roy Thomas, Jim Shooter, Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Nestor Redondo, Ernie Chan, Mike Kaluta, Don Glut, Marty Pasko and Peter Ledger. 

pic or it didn't happen lol. that is pretty cool though would love to see that sheet hopefully they didn't cross over each others autograph. did you have to window bag the sheet lol 

8 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Pic? 

second lol 

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure...and there are a ton of comics signed by Siegel, Shuster, and Bob Kane. Any creator who died before fandom existed, like O'Mealia or Matt Baker, or early into it, like Everett, are going to be prohibitively rare, just because there wasn't anyone to ask them to sign their work. There are others, like Ditko and Mazzuchelli, who simply refuse to sign at all. 

As well, people whose output was limited to the Golden Age, even if they lived into the era of fandom, like Burgos, Sullivan, Guardineer, Schomburg, Bernard Bailey, and the like, aren't going to have a lot of signatures because that sort of thing just wasn't done to very rare and valuable books until the era of Sig Series. 

Oddly enough, there are a dozen or so Craig Flessel SS out there, for example.

I actually thought siegel and shuster sig would of been rare.. I guess I am wrong.. 

very cool interesting stuff to learn.. 

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

I actually thought siegel and shuster sig would of been rare.. I guess I am wrong.. 

very cool interesting stuff to learn.. 

Joe's rarer than Jerry, since he died in '92, but Jerry pumped out a ton of signed books with DF in the early-mid 90s, particularly Superman #75.

It's hilarious the prices people are asking for them.

Both Joe and Jerry signed a lot in the 70s and 80s, too.

19 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Fixed that for you.

I saw him while setting up at a series of shows in the mid-'90s... I think it was a package tour along with Julius Schwartz and Murphy Anderson.  But even then, I don't think he appeared as often as the other two.  I'm not sure if he was at anything prior to that, and obviously, those would have been among his last convention appearances.  So he probably signed a lot of items (that was back when autographs were fee)... but only within a limited time period, and all being over 20 years old now.