• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rank the ASM artists
2 2

144 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I'll bet someone here can verify or factually contradict the following statement that I once read:

This is independent of title and whether or not he was the inker or the penciller.

Does anyone know if this is a true statement. I can believe it, but ...

May have been true at one time, but I think Mark Bagley is the reigning champ

5 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Slightly off topic but I had to add my contribtion to the gallerry of Mooney's beautiful women (and in perfectly good taste too....just referring to another popular thread these days...)

jnMgxybz_0906171538011gpadd.jpg

I’ve taken this submission to the judges and, yeah they’re good with it. Why do I hear Tom Jones in my skull???

Whats new pussycat?

4 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I’ve taken this submission to the judges and, yeah they’re good with it. Why do I hear Tom Jones in my skull???

Whats new pussycat?

I had Tom Jones songs in my head for 3 weeks solid once. The doctor said "don't worry, it's not unusual"

SnoopyCommonBeardedcollie-size_restricted.gif.1f213cf68414b3bb6e453c0327357491.gif

To get back on topic (it's not unusual . . . to go off on a tangent at anytime), I lived through the changeover from Ditko to Romita Snr.  Romita, I thought, was a terrific illustrator . . . but it's as if, with Ditko's departure (as plotter for the latter chunk of his tenure), Stan Lee decided to deconstruct a lot of the things that made the book work so well and had made it a must-have monthly buy.  It's as if Lee had said, "Hey, let's give Peter Parker a break".  The Green Goblin saga was given a sensational finale . . . but one that would make it difficult to resurrect the character successfully (I never really cared much for Marvel's various attempts to revive the villain) and Peter being accepted into the fold (while nice to see) eliminated much of the personal conflicts going on in his private life that made the early books so compelling.  The reveal of Mary Jane Watson (hinted as coming in the Ditko books) gave us an airhead female who was (even back then in the late 1960s) sounding dated (with her 'Groovy, baby!' dialogue).  Romita Snr designed some impressive-looking new villains, but most seemed to lack the spark of the Ditko-created baddies who have lasted the test of time.  The Rhino looked kind of tough as he head-butted his way into things, but was incapable of giving a good villain's speech (being such a dumb mother-f**ker).  Jonah Jameson Jnr in a space-suit didn't do much for me (I think they later re-invented him later on as a werewolf in a space-suit?)  The Shocker looked cool but seemed to me like a re-invent of Electro.  A new Vulture was given wings (and a dinky new dinky cap), but didn't last too long.  The Kingpin was a stroke of genius from the new team . . . but then again, he harkened back to crime-lords such as the Big Man and the Crime-Master (Ditko-created criminal overlords).  People here after my time may not 'get' Ditko . . . but please acknowledge his groundbreaking work.  He was a genius.  'Nuff said . . .

Edited by The Voord

My active Amazing Spider-Man collecting days ran between the mid-80's to the mid-90's so my ranking is based upon that experience:

1) John Romita Sr. - To me, when I think of the quintessential comic book Spider-Man, I think of John's artwork.  I would be exposed to his artwork, as it was before my collecting days, through the Marvel Tales reprints that I would buy at a independent bookstore that sold back issues of comic books.

2) Todd McFarlane - This blew my teenage mind when I first saw McFarlane's work on the newsstands and in my hand.  I fancied myself a bit of an artist as a kid and I tried hard to emulate his style (and failing miserably).

3) Steve Ditko - Again, he was before my collecting days but I saw some of his work again through Marvel Tales reprints.  I thought is was simple and quaint as a kid but I have grown to appreciate his style as an adult and his importance in establishing my favorite Webhead. 

20 hours ago, The Voord said:

To get back on topic (it's not unusual . . . to go off on a tangent at anytime), I lived through the changeover from Ditko to Romita Snr.  Romita, I thought, was a terrific illustrator . . . but it's as if, with Ditko's departure (as plotter for the latter chunk of his tenure), Stan Lee decided to deconstruct a lot of the things that made the book work so well and had made it a must-have monthly buy.  It's as if Lee had said, "Hey, let's give Peter Parker a break".  The Green Goblin saga was given a sensational finale . . . but one that would make it difficult to resurrect the character successfully (I never really cared much for Marvel's various attempts to revive the villain) and Peter being accepted into the fold (while nice to see) eliminated much of the personal conflicts going on in his private life that made the early books so compelling.  The reveal of Mary Jane Watson (hinted as coming in the Ditko books) gave us an airhead female who was (even back then in the late 1960s) sounding dated (with her 'Groovy, baby!' dialogue).  Romita Snr designed some impressive-looking new villains, but most seemed to lack the spark of the Ditko-created baddies who have lasted the test of time.  The Rhino looked kind of tough as he head-butted his way into things, but was incapable of giving a good villain's speech (being such a dumb mother-f**ker).  Jonah Jameson Jnr in a space-suit didn't do much for me (I think they later re-invented him later on as a werewolf in a space-suit?)  The Shocker looked cool but seemed to me like a re-invent of Electro.  A new Vulture was given wings (and a dinky new dinky cap), but didn't last too long.  The Kingpin was a stroke of genius from the new team . . . but then again, he harkened back to crime-lords such as the Big Man and the Crime-Master (Ditko-created criminal overlords).  People here after my time may not 'get' Ditko . . . but please acknowledge his groundbreaking work.  He was a genius.  'Nuff said . . .

A hero is only as good as the villains he conquers.

Chameleon

Vulture

Doc Ock

Sandman

Lizard

Electro

Big Man & the Enforcers

Mysterio

Green Goblin

Kraven the Hunter

Sinister Six

Scorpion

Princess Python

Circus of Crime

Spider Slayer

Crime Master

Molten Man

Looter

...and his supporting cast...

Aunt May

Flash Thompson

Liz Allen

J. Jonah Jameson

John Jameson

Betty Brant

Ned Leeds

Norman Osborn

Harry Osborn

Mary Jane Watson

Gwen Stacy

Spencer Smythe

Professor Warren

Professor Stromm

Frederick Foswell

I'd say Ditko created quite a bit in only 3 years time!

Edited by Timely

1 hour ago, Timely said:

A hero is only as good as the villains he conquers.

Chameleon

Vulture

Doc Ock

Sandman

Lizard

Electro

Big Man & the Enforcers

Mysterio

Green Goblin

Kraven the Hunter

Sinister Six

Scorpion

Princess Python

Circus of Crime

Spider Slayer

Crime Master

Molten Man

Looter

...and his supporting cast...

Aunt May

Flash Thompson

Liz Allen

J. Jonah Jameson

John Jameson

Betty Brant

Ned Leeds

Norman Osborn

Harry Osborn

Mary Jane Watson

Gwen Stacy

Spencer Smythe

Professor Warren

Professor Stromm

Frederick Foswell

I'd say Ditko created quite a bit in only 3 years time!

+ the criminal who killed uncle Ben, ‘cause without him, we wouldn’t have the background necessary to invoke the mantra of “with great Power...”

also, wasn’t the “terrible tinkerer “ introduced in ASM 2?

36 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

+ the criminal who killed uncle Ben, ‘cause without him, we wouldn’t have the background necessary to invoke the mantra of “with great Power...”

also, wasn’t the “terrible tinkerer “ introduced in ASM 2?

I'm sure I missed a few! Lol

On 12/16/2019 at 12:58 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I'll bet someone here can verify or factually contradict the following statement that I once read:

This is independent of title and whether or not he was the inker or the penciller.

Does anyone know if this is a true statement. I can believe it, but ...

I'd bet Sal Buscema drew more than "TRIPLE" of what jim mooney drew on Spider-man!

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Nope.  Mark Bagley has pencilled or inked more Spiderman than anyone.

I figured he was close but that since he was all pencils no inks he wouldn’t be 1st. Do you know where I can see the numbers on that?