• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drag Cartoons?

38 posts in this topic

Am I the only comic collector who is also a fan of magazines like Drag Cartoons, "Big Daddy" Roth, CARtoons and Hot Rod Cartoons? I've never understood why these car humour mags are so underappreciated by the comic collecting fraternity particularity in comparison to the level of interest generated by mags such as Creepy and Eerie.

dragcartoons_oct64.jpg

896369-dragcartoons_oct64.jpg.b52d1e15e361244fa944ceef863f8d6f.jpg

Am I the only comic collector who is also a fan of magazines like Drag Cartoons, "Big Daddy" Roth, CARtoons and Hot Rod Cartoons? I've never understood why these car humour mags are so underappreciated by the comic collecting fraternity particularity in comparison to the level of interest generated by mags such as Creepy and Eerie.

dragcartoons_oct64.jpg

I think one of the problems with the collectability of these occured when Overstreet stopped listing them in their price guide. frustrated.gif

Don't forget Racin' Toons, Ski Toons, Surf Toons, Car Toons (Millar's version - smaller size)

I certainly appreciate the mags with Gilbert Sheltons' Wonder Wart-Hog in them...and Pete Millar was one cool daddy-o... thumbsup2.gif

...and Welcome to THE BOARDS... grin.gif

Admittedly, my interest in Drag Cartooons is limited to the Wonder Warthog issues thumbsup2.gif , but it is ridiculous that the Petersen and Millar magazines are not listed in Overstreet. They are as much "comic books" as Mad or Cracked.

Though I'm not that familiar with the actual output, contributors to CARtoons and CYCLEtoons include Robert Williams, Alex Toth, Rick Griffin, Russ Manning and Monte Wolverton.

I have the entire run of Drag Cartoons, almost all in VF/NM or better condition. My favourite contributor was actually Dennis Ellefson followed by Pete Millar. I'd been advertising in CBG for Drag Cartoons and much to my surprise Pete himself actually contacted me around the turn of the millennium to help him fill in the gaps in his own collection! I'm glad I was able to help him out since he was evidently terminally ill at the time and putting his entire body of work on CDs. Sadly he has since passed away.

frown.gif

1531090-pmillar3_64.jpg.b55528ceee82231161ba74368214fec8.jpg

I've been getting into Ed Big Daddy Roth, so I've picked up #2 and just sent my $10 for a copy of #4 I found (if it comes, then I think I got real lucky). I alway keep my eye out for Surf Toons, but with Griffin's work in there they always get a premium on ebay. I've been slowly looking out for Drag Toons with Ed's work as well as Shelton's work, but haven't picked up any issues yet.

I have really nice copies of the four "Big Daddy" Roth mags and the two Wonder Wart-Hog mags. I do have a VF- Wonder Wart-Hog #2 available for sale or trade and at least a couple low grade "Big Daddy" Roth mags..

I still need to upgrade my Drag Cartoons # 5 6 13 14 to VF/NM or better though. I also need most of the CARtoons, Hot Rod Cartoons, Cycletoons and Surftoons. They're very tough to find in high grade, unlike Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella which are everywhere. I have many very nice copies of Drag Cartoons with "Big Daddy" Roth or Wonder Wart-Hog stories available for sale or trade.

:juggle:

I like the drag mags in small doses, but there is no comparison to the horror mags of Warren & other publishers.

Horror generates more interest because it is an emotion that can be felt by everyone at any age. Drag cars are a more narrow niche, IMO. 2c

Guess I'm a little late to this thread, btw love the topic, but I was digging through some of my childhood magazine/comic boxes and stumbled upon my old collection of CARtoons from the late 70s and early 80s. I'm guessing there are about 10-12 issues and without looking too closely, all appeared to be in great shape. My friend and I enjoyed these from cover-to-cover and it's where both of us developed a passion for drawing/art.

I've been following a few CARtoon related eBay auctions and they seem to be picking up some interest as of late. It seems tthat almost every CARtoon auction has a number of bids on it. One interesting lot is this one, closing in on $65 with three days left. Not BIG $$$$ NUMBERS, but the interest is there (18 bids).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300197195342&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

I also posted the following a few months ago in a sales thread where this 'TOON topic came up then as well. George Trosley official web site

enjoy (thumbs u

Guess I'm a little late to this thread...

Nah, making the 15th reply to a thread started over two years ago is pretty much the norm in the lonely mag section. :grin:

I thought the thread needed a little love. I'm still a nostalgic fan of these 'mags and the few posts made it easy to catch up. I'm just glad my response wasn't met with zzz

Nah, making the 15th reply to a thread started over two years ago is pretty much the norm in the lonely mag section. :grin:

I thought the thread needed a little love. I'm still a nostalgic fan of these 'mags and the few posts made it easy to catch up. I'm just glad my response wasn't met with zzz

Consider yourself blessed to have a post here replied to within a month! lol

Consider yourself blessed to have a post here replied to within a month! lol

:roflmao:

I like the drag mags in small doses, but there is no comparison to the horror mags of Warren & other publishers.

Horror generates more interest because it is an emotion that can be felt by everyone at any age. Drag cars are a more narrow niche, IMO. 2c

It's still a pretty wide niche though. Just check how much space on your typical magazine rack is devoted to hot rods and custom cars of various sorts.

:blahblah: