• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Interesting... what's the difference?

Real copies Cerebus is dark gray, counterfeit copies he is basically black. It's the only "tell" that is easy for me to spot. 

38 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Real copies Cerebus is dark gray, counterfeit copies he is basically black. It's the only "tell" that is easy for me to spot. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/cerebus-the-aardvark-1-RARE-Authentic-signed-NO-RESERVE-/184947262747?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

So real

6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

@october @Ryan. does cerebus 1 really have an ad for starwars?

Screenshot_20210718-162910_eBay.thumb.jpg.639e0120549cb2492ea914c6a8202cc7.jpg

Yes, the inside covers advertise an unauthorized portfolio by Gene Day.  I don’t believe it was ever officially released as I believe Lucasfilm enforced their rights on it.  Years ago, I think I saw some on eBay - likely left over from Gene Day’s estate or gifted to friends.  I’d love to get one myself.  

1 minute ago, comiconxion said:

Yes, the inside covers advertise an unauthorized portfolio by Gene Day.  I don’t believe it was ever officially released as I believe Lucasfilm enforced their rights on it.  Years ago, I think I saw some on eBay - likely left over from Gene Day’s estate or gifted to friends.  I’d love to get one myself.  

Man,  that would be awesome to get.  Thanks for the details.  If you ever find a copy,  please share!

5 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

Found a digital  album of it.  Pretty cool

Gene Day Aardvark-Vanaheim Star Wars Portfolio - 14 - Chewbacca and Solo

On 7/7/2021 at 6:31 AM, RMG1 said:

@Wolverinex In the end I have put this one up for auction. Still going to keep an eye out for that Cerebus 1 though! I just had a thought though for this club. Can the 'B' in Black CAT be Bone 1 :P  

Are you going for a cerebus 1? Authentic  lower graded copy on ebay now... it's at 800

On 7/19/2021 at 2:10 PM, Wolverinex said:

Are you going for a cerebus 1? Authentic  lower graded copy on ebay now... it's at 800

I'm gonna hold out and see if I can't get a higher grade on that book. I'm really bummed I didn't start looking for one ahead of the market blow-up this year. There's also a Bone 1 I'm eyeballing... only so much green stuff to push around ;)

On 7/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, RMG1 said:

I'm gonna hold out and see if I can't get a higher grade on that book. I'm really bummed I didn't start looking for one ahead of the market blow-up this year. There's also a Bone 1 I'm eyeballing... only so much green stuff to push around ;)

Very nice.  Let us know once you pick one up.  Looks like the raw has hit near $1,300 on ebay with less than 24 hrs to go.  Will be interesting to see where it ends up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184947262747?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI184947262747.N36.S1.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R1.TR1

On 7/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, Wolverinex said:

Very nice.  Let us know once you pick one up.  Looks like the raw has hit near $1,300 on ebay with less than 24 hrs to go.  Will be interesting to see where it ends up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184947262747?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI184947262747.N36.S1.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R1.TR1

Based on recent sales, I’d expect this one to end in the $2k range +/ $200. But, hey I could be completely wrong.  

The signature looks like an early one (pre-counterfeit). That may be a bonus to some.  

On 7/22/2021 at 11:43 PM, comiconxion said:

Based on recent sales, I’d expect this one to end in the $2k range +/ $200. But, hey I could be completely wrong.  

The signature looks like an early one (pre-counterfeit). That may be a bonus to some.  

Incredible! You were right.  Ended at 2250... that was probably a 4.0 or 4.5? Seems higher then the last sale. 

On 8/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, SuperBird said:

In line with recent sales. Nice! This was a $2k book in January...

Surprised that more haven't shown up as much with the price hike.  I remember a few years ago, there was about 4 or 5 copies sitting on ebay for a while...Then they all  disappeared when the market started heating up...

On 8/9/2021 at 9:45 PM, Wolverinex said:

Surprised that more haven't shown up as much with the price hike.  I remember a few years ago, there was about 4 or 5 copies sitting on ebay for a while...Then they all  disappeared when the market started heating up...

The copies that were on eBay in the past just sat there forever IIRC. 

I'd venture that those who own a copy at this point are true fans of the series, and wouldn't think of selling. The first 150 issues or so were some of the best comics ever produced. 

On 8/10/2021 at 9:06 AM, SuperBird said:

The copies that were on eBay in the past just sat there forever IIRC. 

I'd venture that those who own a copy at this point are true fans of the series, and wouldn't think of selling. The first 150 issues or so were some of the best comics ever produced. 

I agree.  It's such a historical book and even with the controversies surrounding the author,  it will always play a big role in the history of comics showing the rise of independents. 

On 8/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, Wolverinex said:

I agree.  It's such a historical book and even with the controversies surrounding the author,  it will always play a big role in the history of comics showing the rise of independents. 

Did you read it to the end? I struggled through 201-250, then quit after the 50-year hockey issue, when it became apparent the remaining issues were going to be some insane religious thing. Even Gerhard quit reading it at that point, IIRC. 

Edited by SuperBird