• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2021 at 1:07 PM, RMG1 said:

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll try to load files (newb here). I was going to keep if the knock was huge but I don’t know what a price knock would be… 20%,50%…
I was wanting to chase a cerebus in the 9.0+ range. Looking like that boat may have sailed though. Pretty crazy what these last 9 months have done price wise. 

37CF0017-CD8D-4817-BC67-521CC28BEFC2.jpeg

C0960665-4E35-425A-9163-C716E35EF9EB.jpeg

Did you end up selling this? 

On 5/26/2021 at 12:59 PM, Stingrayiii said:
On 5/26/2021 at 12:50 PM, SuperBird said:

You were the 3rd highest bid, looks like. Cerebus is the hotness, who knew? Should I slab my 2-25 run? hmmm.

No love for the later issues yet it seems.

By the later issues, do you mean after issue after Cerebus 1 because I've got an uber high grade run up to Cerebus 10 if I remember correctly?  :(

Not exactly sure why, but when I saw this sale go through on Heritage last week, the first thing I thought of was this Black Cat club here:  (shrug)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-1-first-printing-overstreet-publications-1970-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7246-94188.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F4%2F5%2F2%2F24452914%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Especially since it's a completely different animal entirely although I guess it did have a very limited 1,000 print run and only a total of 17 copies slabbed to date, with only 5 of these copies in CGC 9.0 and above.  Strongly doubt there would be very many more of this historical book left in HG since it was really meant for extensive reading and use by the purchasers back in the day and possibly the reason this copy here sold for a rather astounding record $45,600 price tag.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/17/2021 at 7:12 AM, SuperBird said:

Yeah. 2 and 3 are worth slabbing, but the others are meh. 

That's really too bad as I managed to picked off a true uber HG file copy quality run of Cerebus 2 through 10 or thereabouts along with a Cerebus 21 when one of the owners of a small LCS closed down his shop way back in the day and decided to sell off his own personal collection of the Cerebus books.  :takeit:

Even more unfortunate though is the fact that Sim kept all of the best copies of Cerebus 1 for his own personal collection at the time, making it virtually impossible for anybody else to have obtain any HG copies of the book back then.  :frustrated:

Being a "head shop" type of guy, apparently their store was one of the larger purchasers of Sim's books when it first came out as they were avid supporters of the non-mainstream comics.   This was clearly evident by all of the underground comics which they had on display right on one of their front racks next to the bigger rack with all of the DC's and Marvel books.  Being an early large purchaser, the shop owner said that Sim made a point of ensuring the copies he received were in tip top shape and then he would select the best one from that for his own personal collection at the time.  :applause:  :luhv:

Even at that, he said all of the copies of Cerebus 1 which he received came with those ubiquitous spine ticks running down the spine, including the one that he had selected for his own personal collection, albeit he stated that it had fewer than the other copies which he had received.  :p  :pullhair:

On 8/20/2021 at 7:41 AM, Wolverinex said:

Cerebus 1 6.5 raw on ebay ending this weekend.  Where will it end up?

Did you ever find out the answer to your above question here, and if so, would you mind sharing with the rest of us here?  (thumbsu

Just wondering since it would appear that Cerebus 1 is still going great guns and firing on all cylinders, as evident by this sale on HA this past Sunday:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/cerebus-the-aardvark-1-aardvark-vanahem-1977-cgc-vf-75/a/122150-13331.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F1%2F9%2F4%2F25194952%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for a rather astonishing $7,200 or at something like 7.5x OPG condition guide value and also close to what Dave Sim's CGC 9.4 highest graded Signature copy had sold for back in 2010.  :applause:

On 12/15/2021 at 3:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Did you ever find out the answer to your above question here, and if so, would you mind sharing with the rest of us here?  (thumbsu

Just wondering since it would appear that Cerebus 1 is still going great guns and firing on all cylinders, as evident by this sale on HA this past Sunday:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/cerebus-the-aardvark-1-aardvark-vanahem-1977-cgc-vf-75/a/122150-13331.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F1%2F9%2F4%2F25194952%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for a rather astonishing $7,200 or at something like 7.5x OPG condition guide value and also close to what Dave Sim's CGC 9.4 highest graded Signature copy had sold for back in 2010.  :applause:

:whatthe:

If I remember correctly, it was around 3,400 which seems like a steal compared to this.   

How much of a cut does Heritage take?

I have been preoccupied with other keys eventually so I haven't kept a close watch on these keys recently but someone alerted me to this counterfeit copy now selling for $ 1,000!:ohnoez:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133711328812?hash=item1f21d0f62c:g:W5UAAOSwc4hhEB9N#vi__app-cvip-panel

On 12/15/2021 at 3:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Does this mean Cerebus may overtake Albedo 2? Perhaps the scarcity of the book is driving that ?

On 9/17/2021 at 9:12 AM, RMG1 said:

LOL! I Have thought we could expand Black Cat to:

B - Bone 1

L - L&R 1 (B&W 1st print but 2ns print is a classic as well)

A - ?

C - ?

K - ?

CAT - Cerebus Albedo TMNT as already done. 

C for Caliber Presents 1? I dunno just spitballin...not really on the same level as some of the others...

On 12/15/2021 at 7:19 AM, Wolverinex said:

:whatthe:

If I remember correctly, it was around 3,400 which seems like a steal compared to this.   

I have been preoccupied with other keys eventually so I haven't kept a close watch on these keys recently but someone alerted me to this counterfeit copy now selling for $ 1,000!:ohnoez:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133711328812?hash=item1f21d0f62c:g:W5UAAOSwc4hhEB9N#vi__app-cvip-panel

In context: a CGC 9.0 counterfeit just auctioned for $365 or something, and a board-owned CGC 8.0 (non-counterfeit) has been unable to sell through multiple venues for $5k. 

Edited by SuperBird

On 12/15/2021 at 7:26 AM, Wolverinex said:

Does this mean Cerebus may overtake Albedo 2? Perhaps the scarcity of the book is driving that ?

Cerebus 1 in 7.5 and 8.5 is going for more than Albedo in the equivalent grades. Not sure what the last Cerebus 1 9.0 sold for, but IIRC it was through the boards and higher than the Albedo 9.0 @ 10,450

On 12/15/2021 at 4:19 AM, Wolverinex said:

From what I hear, this really depends on how good of a negotiator you are, which is also highly dependent on the quality and dollar value of the books you have.  :frustrated:

Since the final auction realized price came in at $7,200 this simply means that the hammer price on the book was $6,000 plus the 20% or $1,200 for the Heritage BP juice which is normally their take and which you never see.  Then there is the Seller's Premium which I believe is normally 15% or $900 (others said only 10% or $600) which would bring the net amount into your pocket of only $5,100 or $5,400 out of the this big $7,200 sale or for total combined fees of 29%+ or thereabouts of the overall take.  :mad:  :censored:

I have heard from boardies though that it is possible that you can keep the 20% BP or a good portion of it if you also have other nice quality books for them to auction off.  The Heritage SP is also negotiable or apparently some combination of both, and even hopefully get both of them a bit closer to the 10% standard fee which both CC and CL charge if you say have books amounting to 6-figures or thereabouts.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/15/2021 at 6:18 AM, SuperBird said:

a board-owned CGC 8.0 (non-counterfeit) has been unable to sell through multiple venues for $5k. 

Not sure what you mean by multiple venues here since if listed on any of the big 3 auction platforms through one of their open auctions (i.e. not BIN or with a reserve), it would have sold for whatever the final bid came in at.  (thumbsu

The big 3 auction houses quite often gets higher prices because they tend to set the marketplace for the next runup since the bigger eyeballs with the much deeper pockets tends to look at those auctions platforms and not even bother to waste their time looking at smaller auction sites scrolling through endless listings with either BIN's or reserve prices locked in place. :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, SuperBird said:

Cerebus 1 in 7.5 and 8.5 is going for more than Albedo in the equivalent grades. Not sure what the last Cerebus 1 9.0 sold for, but IIRC it was through the boards and higher than the Albedo 9.0 @ 10,450

What was the last sale for an Albedo 2 cgc 7.5?

I don't believe that was always the case right ?  Albedo 2 used to be more expensive ?

Edited by Wolverinex

On 12/15/2021 at 12:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure what you mean by multiple venues here since if listed on any of the big 3 auction platforms through one of their open auctions (i.e. not BIN or with a reserve), it would have sold for whatever the final bid came in at.  (thumbsu

The big 3 auction houses quite often gets higher prices because they tend to set the marketplace for the next runup since the bigger eyeballs with the much deeper pockets tends to look at those auctions platforms and not even bother to waste their time looking at smaller auction sites scrolling through endless listings with either BIN's or reserve prices locked in place. :gossip:

So you think those recent books would have sold higher if listed on auction using the big 3?

On 12/15/2021 at 12:47 PM, lou_fine said:

He listed it as a BIN.

Edited by SuperBird

On 12/15/2021 at 1:35 PM, Wolverinex said:

What was the last sale for an Albedo 2 cgc 7.5?

I don't believe that was always the case right ?  Albedo 2 used to be more expensive ?

Albedo 2 in 7.5 last sold for $5160. had been going for more for at least 5 years or so, IIRC. Over the very long haul, it was less expensive than Cerebus 1 up until perhaps 5 years ago, then overtook it, now is back lower.