• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, SuperBird said:

Virtually everything "sells" for more on Heritage! lol

If you believe what many others have already alluded to, especially if you've got Halperin in there pushing the bids upwards and possibly even "winning" the book so it can go back into inventory to be used again in future auctions.  :devil:   (tsk)

On 12/15/2021 at 4:26 AM, Wolverinex said:

Does this mean Cerebus may overtake Albedo 2? Perhaps the scarcity of the book is driving that ?

When was Cerebus 1 in high grade ever worth less than Albedo 2 in equivalent grade?  ???

I still remember there use to be a big long running discussion on the BA boards here on which was the more valuable BA book, Hulk 181 or Cerebus 1.  Clearly the answer during the past few years was the Hulk 181, and yet, if you look at these 2 books in equivalent high grades, the answer might still not be that clear cut.  :whatthe:

And most definitely yes, the clear cut scarcity of Cerebus 1 in high grade is the reason for this.  Exacerbated by the fact that the entire Cerebus 1 run was subject to poor printing production and the fact that Dave Sim himself apparently went through all 2,000 copies to pick off all of the best copies for his own personal collection.  As a result, if you compare the population census report for these 2 books, there's only 8 Universal copies of Cerebus 1 graded at CGC 9.0 or better (i.e. 2 in 9.4, 1 in 9.2, and 5 in 9.0) as compared to a whopping 126 Universal copies of Albedo 2 in CGC 9.0 or better with even 12 of these way up there at CGC 9.8.  Note that I did ignore the 15 HG Signature Series copies because virtually all of these were the ones snapped up by Sim himself even before they made it into the distribution channel.  Also no need to mention the thousands of high grade Hulk 181's already slabbed out there, so it's definitely all about true rarity when it comes to Cerebus 1 in high grade.  :luhv:  :takeit:

As for actual sales in equivalent grade, it looks like CL auctioned off a CGC 9.4 graded copy of Cerebus 1 for $29,130 back in February of this year, while their CGC 9.4 graded copy of Albedo 2 managed to hit only $11,872 on the same day.  Although the Hulk 181's have certainly surged in price, I am not sure if they are approaching anywhere close to the $30K mark in 9.4 yet, because they certainly weren't there earlier this year.  Of course, higher graded copies of these 2 books have sold for more than the Cerebus 1 record of $29,130 with a CGC 9.8 graded copy of Albedo 2 managing to hit $31K and we all know that Hulk 181's in CGC 9.8 are starting to head closer towards 6-figures, but that's a completely different story with these nosebleed grades.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/16/2021 at 3:00 AM, lou_fine said:

When was Cerebus 1 in high grade ever worth less than Albedo 2 in equivalent grade?  ???

I still remember there use to be a big long running discussion on the BA boards here on which was the more valuable BA book, Hulk 181 or Cerebus 1.  Clearly the answer during the past few years was the Hulk 181, and yet, if you look at these 2 books in equivalent high grades, the answer might still not be that clear cut.  :whatthe:

And most definitely yes, the clear cut scarcity of Cerebus 1 in high grade is the reason for this.  Exacerbated by the fact that the entire Cerebus 1 run was subject to poor printing production and the fact that Dave Sim himself apparently went through all 2,000 copies to pick off all of the best copies for his own personal collection.  As a result, if you compare the population census report for these 2 books, there's only 8 Universal copies of Cerebus 1 graded at CGC 9.0 or better (i.e. 2 in 9.4, 1 in 9.2, and 5 in 9.0) as compared to a whopping 126 Universal copies of Albedo 2 in CGC 9.0 or better with even 12 of these way up there at CGC 9.8.  Note that I did ignore the 15 HG Signature Series copies because virtually all of these were the ones snapped up by Sim himself even before they made it into the distribution channel.  Also no need to mention the thousands of high grade Hulk 181's already slabbed out there, so it's definitely all about true rarity when it comes to Cerebus 1 in high grade.  :luhv:  :takeit:

As for actual sales in equivalent grade, it looks like CL auctioned off a CGC 9.4 graded copy of Cerebus 1 for $29,130 back in February of this year, while their CGC 9.4 graded copy of Albedo 2 managed to hit only $11,872 on the same day.  Although the Hulk 181's have certainly surged in price, I am not sure if they are approaching anywhere close to the $30K mark in 9.4 yet, because they certainly weren't there earlier this year.  Of course, higher graded copies of these 2 books have sold for more than the Cerebus 1 record of $29,130 with a CGC 9.8 graded copy of Albedo 2 managing to hit $31K and we all know that Hulk 181's in CGC 9.8 are starting to head closer towards 6-figures, but that's a completely different story with these nosebleed grades.  (thumbsu

I think around the time I started this thread,  I was tracking these books closely.   Albedo 2s were going crazy because the Sakai netflix show was annouced and 7.0s were about $2400.  I'm pretty sure the equivalent Cerebus 1's were cheaper at that time like only around 1500.   There was also a glut of them on  ebay.  Then around covid, every copy of Cerebus 1 was wiped off ebay and ever since then, you only see 1 copies at a time if even that.  Then of course, the 9.4 copy of Cerebus 1 sold for 29k early this year, and after that, every book that has shown up has sold for higher and higher... likely closing the gap with Albedo 2. 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:18 AM, Wolverinex said:

I've been meaning to read that series. I hear good things.. Impossible to find those books though haha.. where did you find them?

It's one of a kind, and that cover is an all-time classic. 

1st prints pop up once in a while on eBay, but it's definitely scarce. 

Edited by SuperBird

On 12/16/2021 at 12:00 AM, lou_fine said:

On 12/16/2021 at 5:10 AM, Wolverinex said:

I think around the time I started this thread,  I was tracking these books closely.   Albedo 2s were going crazy because the Sakai netflix show was annouced and 7.0s were about $2400.  I'm pretty sure the equivalent Cerebus 1's were cheaper at that time like only around 1500.

Looks like you had missed the part which I had highlighted in bold right at the start of my post as I was referring to HG (i.e. 9.0 and above).  :gossip:

Not so much in terms of the upper mid-grade copies like the 7.0's or thereabouts as they are much more common and clearly not the ones which Sim had scarfed away for his own personal collection.  :p

On 12/16/2021 at 3:04 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like you had missed the part which I had highlighted in bold right at the start of my post as I was referring to HG (i.e. 9.0 and above).  :gossip:

Not so much in terms of the upper mid-grade copies like the 7.0's or thereabouts as they are much more common and clearly not the ones which Sim had scarfed away for his own personal collection.  :p

Ahh, in my measly collection 7.0 is considered high for  me lol

On 12/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, Wolverinex said:

Do you think this trend of Cerebus 1 being more expensive than Albedo 2 continuing?

Definitely so in the case of HG copies (i.e. CGC 9.0 or higher) due to its rarity in grade, but not so sure when it comes to the mid-grades.  (shrug)

Looks like it's still well ahead of the HG Hulk 181's, as a copy in CGC 9.4 just sold for only $14,600 earlier this evening in the CC Event Auction.  (thumbsu

On 12/16/2021 at 6:35 AM, roccojoco said:

Cerebus #1 copies in high grade are extremely scarce when you consider there might only be 25 copies in NM or better based on poor printing and age. This approaches the golden age scarcity range of some key books.

I very much highly doubt that there would be 25 copies of this book in NM or better (i.e. CGC 9.4), especially considering that after more than 2 full decades of certification, only a meagre 6 copies of this book have been slabbed in this NM grade or higher.  :gossip:  :takeit:

Especially also considering the fact that Sim had already shot his wad years ago when he certified the HG copies which he had apparently gone through the entire 2,000 print run to meticously and carefully select the best copies for his own personal collection.  Unless that is, he's still got more copies squirreled away that the collector base is not aware of.  (shrug)  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/17/2021 at 12:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Especially also considering the fact that Sim had already shot his wad years ago when he certified the HG copies which he had apparently gone through the entire 2,000 print run to meticously and carefully select the best copies for his own personal collection.  Unless that is, he's still got more copies squirreled away that the collector base is not aware of.  (shrug)  :wishluck:

I highly doubt he has more copies (aside from I guess a few for himself), as he appears to have come upon some hard times the last few years, and would likely have sold them?  

On 12/17/2021 at 12:06 AM, lou_fine said:

I very much highly doubt that there would be 25 copies of this book in NM or better (i.e. CGC 9.4), especially considering that after more than 2 full decades of certification, only a meagre 6 copies of this book have been slabbed in this NM grade or higher. 

When referring to NM, I meant the lowest scale of VF/NM (CGC 9.0) as there seems to be about 20 graded copies in that condition or higher and possibly a handful of other ungraded ones out there.

I don't know if anyone has accounted for any high grade copies Deni Loubert may still have, if any.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:41 AM, roccojoco said:

When referring to NM, I meant the lowest scale of VF/NM (CGC 9.0) as there seems to be about 20 graded copies in that condition or higher and possibly a handful of other ungraded ones out there.

I don't know if anyone has accounted for any high grade copies Deni Loubert may still have, if any.

Wonder if one will show up soon given the last sale...

On 12/19/2021 at 3:41 AM, roccojoco said:

From hearing how bad their breakup apparently went, I wouldn't be surprised if she in fact used her copies to wipe her arse aftering taking a big dump in her little potty.  :slapfight: :slapfight:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/24/2021 at 6:02 PM, Wolverinex said:

really?  tell me more...:gossip:

Sure, why not on what is seemingly our first beautiful snowy Christmas Eve and pending White Christmas in decades!!!  :applause:

Deni feels the urge to go...........runs to the potty..........pulls down her bottoms..........takes a dump..........grabs another HG copy of Cerebus 1 and spits a big gob ball on it after wiping her arse nice and clean with it.............crumble up the soiled Cerebus 1 and tosses it into a shipping mailer bag ...................ships the bag with the Cerebus 1 to CCS for a deep deep cleaning and full on press job....................cleaned and pressed Cerebus 1 is kicked to the next room for CGC grading...............Deni receives another CGC 9.0 graded copy of Cerebus 1 and sells it to the nerdy Cerebus comic book fanboys for a small fortune.  :banana:  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine