• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2020
1 1

670 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2020 at 12:48 PM, F For Fake said:

Decided to finally dive into this monster last night. Finished volume one, which contains Justice League 21-22, 29-30, 37-38 and 46-47. I'm sure I've read all of these in various reprints over the years, but I am determined to read this boxed set straight through, cover to cover, in order, so it gives these various Crisis stories greater context. Look, these are silver age DC's. They're pretty corny. BUT, they're also charming and colorful, and Gardner Fox always had imaginative ideas. The pinnacle of superhero writing? Dear me, no. But a colorful trip down nostalgia lane nonetheless. 

I think this puts my total up to 17 for 2020, not counting the Mickey Mouse strips books I've been reading lately. 

IMG_9333.thumb.JPG.f68e1f5219dbfa08466ed949ad0761fb.jpg

And I finished Volume 2 this weekend, JLA 55-56, 64-65, 73-74,82-83. More of the same, that cheesy SA DC goodness, but I'm digging it, and it's a really nicely produced book.

Also, completely at random, I picked up a set of the Justice League 3000 and 3001 series by Giffen, DeMatteis and Porter. I am a die hard, life long, devoted Justice League International fan. It is probably my all time favorite superhero comic book series. I have followed Giffen and DeMatteis ever since, so it was odd that this one flew under my radar for so long. I haven't really kept up with moderns much in the last few years, so I guess it still feels "new" to me.

Anyway, I got around to reading the full run this weekend, and whooboy, man, it's rough. I had a hard time pushing through. I don't know anything about what went on behind the scenes, but the entire series reeked of editorial interference and/or negligence. The tone shifted dramatically, characters and story arcs would disappear for huge chunks of time only to be practically written off off-panel. It never gelled, it was as though they didn't really know what they wanted to do when they launched, then kept shifting back and forth as the series progressed. Absolutely zero of that JLI magic here. What a bummer.

Much better was the Justice League by Scott Snyder deluxe edition hardcover. First, I have to say, I LOVE the paper DC is using these days. Gone are the ultra glossy, crinkly, tissue-esque pages of the past. These recent collections have nice paper with an almost newsprint-like texture that also displays the colors beautifully. This is a handsome volume. As for the story, it's solid if unspectacular. Snyder does his Snyder thing, I enjoyed it but can't say it really knocked me out. I liked it well enough that I'll be picking up the next collection, so I guess that's saying something.

So, I believe that makes for about 49 books altogether, bringing my 2020 total to 66. That 1000 book total ain't lookin' so good. We'll see how it goes.

IMG_3140.JPG

JusticeLeague3000.jpg

912fYDVB+OL.jpg

Edited by F For Fake

7 hours ago, F For Fake said:

So, I believe that makes for about 49 books altogether, bringing my 2020 total to 66. That 1000 book total ain't lookin' so good. We'll see how it goes

I’ve only included books that have engaged me with decent story, art and dialogue.

For example, I tried reading Atlas Comics Journey Into Mystery Masterworks Vol 4.

It’s generally tedious, poorly-written, poorly-drawn. I find my attention wandering very quickly with these volumes, and was just skimming through over half of this one, despite some occasionally nice artwork from Al Williamson, Wally Wood and Bernard Krigstein.  

I got this in a ComiXology sale for 69p, around $1 at the time, and a bit cheaper than the $65 cover price for the physical hardcover, thankfully.

So, I skimmed through, and won’t add this to my total for the year. It’d be cheating.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I've been finishing Grant Morrison's Super Gods. I had no idea he was so out there. So my stack of comics to read has been growing. On Deck are Desert Eagle and Star Wars Adventures: Tales from Vader's Castle. I read one of the latter with my 6 year old and it was actually entertaining, so I'm looking forward to the rest. I had bought them for the Francavilla covers, nice to find the content is enjoyable, too.

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I've been finishing Grant Morrison's Super Gods. I had no idea he was so out there. So my stack of comics to read has been growing. On Deck are Desert Eagle and Star Wars Adventures: Tales from Vader's Castle. I read one of the latter with my 6 year old and it was actually entertaining, so I'm looking forward to the rest. I had bought them for the Francavilla covers, nice to find the content is enjoyable, too.

Super Gods has been sitting on my shelf for years now, need to crack it open soon.

22 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Super Gods has been sitting on my shelf for years now, need to crack it open soon.

It's worth the read. It's part analysis of comics developing as an art form, part memoir of his own development and history as a comic writer, part paean to himself, part exploration of the creative act, and no small accounting of sustained drug use and efforts to reach altered states of consciousness.

174-189

Picked up the Groo Trade for my son.  He really enjoyed it and I can’t say that I had ever read Groo before so I gave it a read through.  I thought it was pretty fun.  I’ve been working on collecting the first fifty marvel issues to read, so getting a quick look at what I have to look forward to was fun.   My daughter said it best when she said “there is so much going on” in regards to the art.  That’s what really struck me too.  He puts so many crazy little details and characters into his panels.  It’s really impressive.

I also read the Inferno trade.   The X-men were way worse than I remember as a kid.  I guess that’s pretty standard though, as stuff we remember fondly was during a time when we typically had less experiences to fade-away from.   That being said, I had never read the main inferno story, only some of the side crossovers.   It was okay.  I liked the X-factor pieces better than the x-men, though I do appreciate the early Silverstein art.   I’m glad I read it, but don’t think I’ll be revisiting it any time soon.

F9E97B35-11EC-42A1-B88F-3043FAB40E4D.jpeg

1EF92360-7E64-4552-9FF0-5D0DA14D761C.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Talapas1 said:

174-189

Picked up the Groo Trade for my son.  He really enjoyed it and I can’t say that I had ever read Groo before so I gave it a read through.  I thought it was pretty fun.  I’ve been working on collecting the first fifty marvel issues to read, so getting a quick look at what I have to look forward to was fun.   My daughter said it best when she said “there is so much going on” in regards to the art.  That’s what really struck me too.  He puts so many crazy little details and characters into his panels.  It’s really impressive.

I also read the Inferno trade.   The X-men were way worse than I remember as a kid.  I guess that’s pretty standard though, as stuff we remember fondly was during a time when we typically had less experiences to fade-away from.   That being said, I had never read the main inferno story, only some of the side crossovers.   It was okay.  I liked the X-factor pieces better than the x-men, though I do appreciate the early Silverstein art.   I’m glad I read it, but don’t think I’ll be revisiting it any time soon.imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

Dang, you are killing it.

I take a quick look at my book shelf, get overwhelmed, and waste my life playing video games and watching hockey. :sick:

2 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

174-189

I also read the Inferno trade.   The X-men were way worse than I remember as a kid.  I guess that’s pretty standard though, as stuff we remember fondly was during a time when we typically had less experiences to fade-away from.   That being said, I had never read the main inferno story, only some of the side crossovers.   It was okay.  I liked the X-factor pieces better than the x-men, though I do appreciate the early Silverstein art.   I’m glad I read it, but don’t think I’ll be revisiting it any time soon.imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

F9E97B35-11EC-42A1-B88F-3043FAB40E4D.jpeg

1EF92360-7E64-4552-9FF0-5D0DA14D761C.jpeg

I really love reading Groo...Aragones artwork and humor are a great combination!

Personal running list:

80/1000

Contest of Champions tpb

Chew tpb 8

Gideon Falls tpb 1

Huck 1-6

Big Man Plans 1-4

All Star Superman tpb 1

Zombies vs Robots vs Amazons complete

Infinity Gauntlet tpb

Through Chew tpb 8...still a fun read and actually touching at times.

Progress: 82/1,000

• Frank Miller's Ronin #1-5
  • Flashpoint #1-5
  • Superman: Peace on Earth
  • Batman: War on Crime
  • Shazam: Power of Hope
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • Justice League: Secret Origins
  • Justice League: Liberty and Justice

For whatever reason - I have literally no motivation to read anything new (and I own a lot of unread stuff; old and new). These are all re-reads that I know are great. I'm just trying to get back into the habit of reading (period).

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Progress: 82/1,000

• Frank Miller's Ronin #1-5
  • Flashpoint #1-5
  • Superman: Peace on Earth
  • Batman: War on Crime
  • Shazam: Power of Hope
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • Justice League: Secret Origins
  • Justice League: Liberty and Justice

For whatever reason - I have literally no motivation to read anything new (and I own a lot of unread stuff; old and new). These are all re-reads that I know are great. I'm just trying to get back into the habit of reading (period).

I re-read Ronin last year. Even now, I still get that same sense of otherworldliness from it just as I did when I first read it as a young teen.

28 minutes ago, Raze said:

Suspense 27

I got this at C2E2 last week. Ireally liked the twist at the end of the first story! And the Stan Lee story was pretty good.

image.jpg

Ok...what the heck did Burt Lang do????:whatthe:

190-199

Autumnlands 1-3

Really piqued my interest.  Love the stranger in a strange land theme with scary animal people and their religions.  Im always looking for good fantasy yarns and this one seems to be able to fulfill that niche.     Can’t wait to grab the others.

Black Science 1-7

I put off reading this one for a while and am irritated that i did.  I love scifi, alternate dimensions and workshopping adventures and this has all of that.  The characters aren’t as cut and dry as they originally seem to be and I am find myself really wanting to get the issues I’m missing to see their continued adventures.   This one was worth picking up

i have to say that after some of the slog last week, the issues I read today were really a shot in the arm.  

AEED5628-DF04-45DD-963A-4248CA0279CA.jpeg

A397F407-D830-449C-A9C5-2A45E7F9B07F.jpeg