• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The market 8 years ago to today
1 1

38 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
2 hours ago, Silentbob said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It looks like I was looking at the auctions with signed copies. Amazing that a signature adds that much extra value.

Not so surprising as most popular creators charge $75 or more to sign a book.  Add in grading costs of $30 or more.  And many fans can't get to that signing and are buying signed copies on secondary markets like ebay.

Words of truth and sound reality from the POSTMAN  

On 1/31/2020 at 8:23 PM, thehumantorch said:

Not so surprising as most popular creators charge $75 or more to sign a book.  Add in grading costs of $30 or more.  And many fans can't get to that signing and are buying signed copies on secondary markets like ebay.

Being an “old guy” in this hobby, this blows me away. I can’t imagine paying that kind of money for any comic creator or artist’s signature. Plus not being able to get it face to face and have at least a short conversation is just crazy. Now, I am a fan and collector so my motives are a lot different...

I take it back, I would probably pay up to meet Frank Frazetta and get his signature. It is a work of art in it’s own right...

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:
On 1/31/2020 at 9:23 PM, thehumantorch said:

Being an “old guy” in this hobby, this blows me away. I can’t imagine paying that kind of money for any comic creator or artist’s signature. Plus not being able to get it face to face and have at least a short conversation is just crazy. Now, I am a fan and collector so my motives are a lot different...

I take it back, I would probably pay up to meet Frank Frazetta and get his signature. It is a work of art in it’s own right...

Yea, it seems like an awful lot to meet an artist you appreciate.  And some of them will hardly talk to you.  And I get it, the lineup may be a mile long and the demand so high that even if the creator wanted to spend time chatting he'd feel pressured to keep the line moving and he might want to charge more to shorten the demand.  Steranko was here last year and friends who stood in line said he spent time talking to each fan and regaling the line with stories so even though the line was slow it was worth the wait. 

On 1/31/2020 at 8:17 PM, Silentbob said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It looks like I was looking at the auctions with signed copies. Amazing that a signature adds that much extra value.

It doesn't, unless the book is very high grade, or the signature itself is rare. Most signatures, by themselves, aren't worth anything. But when they are combined with a very high grade copy, together, they create value. The signature that may add $100-$200 on a very high grade book might (and usually does) add nothing to the value of that same book in 9.0.

No high grade book = no added value.

There are a few exceptions, but they are exceptions.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:16 PM, thehumantorch said:

Yea, it seems like an awful lot to meet an artist you appreciate.  And some of them will hardly talk to you.  And I get it, the lineup may be a mile long and the demand so high that even if the creator wanted to spend time chatting he'd feel pressured to keep the line moving and he might want to charge more to shorten the demand.  Steranko was here last year and friends who stood in line said he spent time talking to each fan and regaling the line with stories so even though the line was slow it was worth the wait. 

I usually don't like to talk to any of my childhood idols. I have found that it usually is a letdown. I would like to get a Klaus Janson autograph though. Has anyone met him?

On 1/31/2020 at 8:56 PM, Silentbob said:

I thought I asked a legitimate question. Nice to receive such a warm welcome. I have reason to believe that I have been collecting comics before some of you making snide comments and memes were born...1979.

Guys,

It was a bad idea to make my first post about a scripted comic book show and general valuations of comics. I have had a blast looking through my recently discovered collection. While I plan on selling some, the more I flip through, I find myself wanting to hang some in the Man Cave. Here is a pic of my favorites. The GI Joe in the middle is worthless because of the grade but priceless to me.

IMG_20200205_222035563.jpg

1 hour ago, Silentbob said:

Sad thing is this is my first post talking about selling my collection and I ended up buying $300 of comics in the last week. I think I have a problem.

:foryou::foryou::foryou::tink:

giphy-8.gif

On 2/8/2020 at 3:01 PM, Silentbob said:

Sad thing is this is my first post talking about selling my collection and I ended up buying $300 of comics in the last week. I think I have a problem.

Got ya.  If I can give you some advice I'd suggest you aim for quality over quantity..

On 2/5/2020 at 11:35 PM, Silentbob said:

The GI Joe in the middle is worthless because of the grade but priceless to me...

So, obviously, it's not "worthless" at all: it's your Rosebud...a slice of time itself, preserved; the persistence of memory, beyond and above all mundane considerations of grade and commerce and price; a largely forgettable thing never forgotten, which now represents so much more than can be conveyed by its mere physical existence. 

Its meaning to you IS the money.  And for my money at least, that's the only "value" that really matters.  (thumbsu

If you don't mind and feel like sharing, please tell us why it's priceless to you.  I think there are quite a few of us around here who never grow weary of such tales...!  :bigsmile:

On 1/31/2020 at 6:56 PM, Silentbob said:

I thought I asked a legitimate question. Nice to receive such a warm welcome. I have reason to believe that I have been collecting comics before some of you making snide comments and memes were born...1979.

I've got underwear older than you mr. 1979.

Relax and enjoy this place. There are a ton of knowledgeable people here if you give em a chance.

1979......:roflmao:

On 2/8/2020 at 5:01 PM, Silentbob said:

welcome to the club lol.. it's hard to escape once you get sucked in... 

but do tell us the story of why GI Joe one is specially to you.