• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

Dr. Neff is the seller ebay id clarkkent...who is more than welcome to my Champions 5 variant if he doesnt win the one you mentioned above

Oh.

Then I guess I'll ask him outright, why not put "30 cent variant" in the title or description of that mighty marvel western auction?

I'll try to have scans for you the second week of June

Arrogant fokker! tongue.gif Just for that I'm sniping at $800 for kicks wink.gif Beware the Daffy06! He's not buing my Iron Fist 15 CGC 4.0 and X-Men 105 variants because he's saving for this one wink.gif

Guess daffy spent his money elsewhere... scans coming next week... smile.gif

I'll try to have scans for you the second week of June

Arrogant fokker! tongue.gif Just for that I'm sniping at $800 for kicks wink.gif Beware the Daffy06! He's not buing my Iron Fist 15 CGC 4.0 and X-Men 105 variants because he's saving for this one wink.gif

Guess daffy spent his money elsewhere... scans coming next week... smile.gif

Nice pick up at $61 per 35 center - decent price (IMO) even if in VG - be thankful I didn't drive it up on ya wink.gif

Nice pick up at $61 per 35 center

With two free 30c variants... and a free Invaders 8 to cover shipping...

I may spread the wealth, and relist the Defenders 48 (which was clearly the highest grade of the bunch)...

I need to check though, I think one of the other books is a dupe for me...

I was looking at the variant lists website today and was wondering a few things.

First, does anybody have a full set of the 30 cent variants? Even the website owner has 3 or 4 listed as "need".

Secondly, as to the 35 cents variants can anybody explain why comics like Spec Spider-Man 11 and Incredible Hulk 214 have not yet been found while such obscure and much less popular titles such as Scooby Doo and John Carter have been found. The latter comics must have sold way less that the former. Right? (I am assuming that variants exist for all comics on the list)

Lastly, for you 35 cent variant collectors out there... aren't you glad that Dynomutt and Yogi Bear came out in Nov instead of Oct and for the 30 cent collectors-how difficult (or embarassing) would it be to find a variant of My Love 39 or Spidey Super Stories!

Good luck to all attempting a complete set.

I have a few answers for you. As for the 30 cent set, yep, FD has completed it. And, for the better part of 4 years, I've been right behind him (I'm actually the site owner). After completing a trade in progress, I'll have 2 left. I suspect that 2 other collectors are on my tail, including Darth. As for Spidey Super Stories--it would be tremendous to find a variant, but it would't be a 30 cent one. SSS always had a higher cover price than regular books.

On the 35 cent books--Lighthouse, Joe C. and FD might disagree, but I firmly believe that the variants did not comprise a set percentage of issues in a print run. There are some issues that definitely crop up more often than others, and this can not always be accounted for by print run or collectibility/hoarding. Obviously, Star Wars 1 is frequently seen, but it was immediately recognized as a variant and was hoarded/collected from the start. Some of the Spidey issues are easily more common than the average 35 cent variant, but this is probably due to the print run. In contrast, John Carter WoM shows up much more often than its print run would suggest. Joe C. has the theory that the last month of the test-marketing was not as intense and therefore those issues from that month have fewer variants (I believe this is probably accurate). Some issues are probably un-discovered due to low print runs, but I am also quite sure that others just simply are not common regardless of how many total copies of the issues were printed.

Thanks for the reply, I must congratulate FlyingDunut and yourself for this rather amazing collecting feat. Based on the available evidence your theory about not having a set percentage per title makes sense, otherwise Iron man 99, Incredible Hulk 214, etc would have been found before Scooby or the Flintstones unless there were regional differences or some comics that did not have a variant run for some reason (printer's error or distribution problems).

I knew that the Spidey's were up to 35 cents at that time but I was just thinking "What If".

P.S. Were there any DC price variants around this time... I know that Overstreet lists a price variant for Amethyst. Has anyone seen these or others? Thanks.

So you are suggesting that the numbers of 35 cent variants may have varied with each book? That it is an interesting idea, and if true, it would suggest to me that Marvel may have been more willing to sacrifice sales of lesser tier titles (such as John Carter) for this experiment than Spiderman. Which would make sense to me as the big two have followed this procedure since then (lesser titles costing more to offset less sales). It is too bad that more direct data from Marvel still has not surfaced regarding these experiments.....

P.S. Silverandbronze, do you still need a scan of Dr. Strange 24?

Be clear that probably the only reason I'm the only person with a full set is that I had a 6-8 month start on everybody else, and was looking for them before they got split out in the Price Guide. That being said, I had to pay what was then REALLY silly money for the last 4 I needed from Fred McSorley, who has gone on to bigger and better things at Heritage. Paul - what are the ones you need still? I'm about to go to Tennessee for playtime, so I'm going to hit shops down there. 35 cent variant test markets - the mind reels!

P.S. Were there any DC price variants around this time... I know that Overstreet lists a price variant for Amethyst. Has anyone seen these or others? Thanks.

I have the Amethyst 1 and 2, for some reason I deleted my scans, but will put them up shortly. DC had tons of Whitman variants, but not sure about other price variants. I think the Amethysts are seriously undervalued - they were only test marketed in Austin and Kansas City, which can't be that big of a market. And what is it about Austin-San Antonio? That was one of the 30 cent variant tests as well. Curious, that.

Hey Dan (and anyone else that can help out). The two 30 centers that I still need are Sgt. Fury 133 and Rawhide Kid 134. What are the chances? If you come across them, that would be great. Thanks for the help.

My last four were Mighty Marvel Western 45, Kid Colt 208 and 209 and Weird Wonder Tales 15. ONly the first 3 were from Fred, the WWT 15 was from Lighthouse.

On the 35 cent books--Lighthouse, Joe C. and FD might disagree, but I firmly believe that the variants did not comprise a set percentage of issues in a print run. There are some issues that definitely crop up more often than others, and this can not always be accounted for by print run or collectibility/hoarding.

Actually you know I won't disagree with that... The 35c books were distributed in different markets from each other. If the only place to get 35c variants of Avengers was Houston, and the only place to get 35c variants of Fantastic Four was Fargo, of course there will be more Avengers than FF variants out there.

It's not that they printed the same number of them across the board, or even the same percentage. Some went to bigger markets (and/or more markets) than others. So there are just more of them.

FYI

I found a listing for Spec Spider-man 11 35 cent variant on Mycomicsshop.com... I think this means that they had one in stock at some time in the past. Here is the link-http://www.mycomicshop.com/megastore/search.cfm?pcat=Comics%2DAll&til=21907

Probably not enough to knock it off the list but it is some evidence that it exists.