• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

I would assume with the 35 centers (as there are far less) then there is even more chance that CGC will miss them.

This would be true; however, most 30 and 35 cent variants are of such non key importance, and thus low value (below grading cost) that there would be NO reason to get those issues graded unless they were variants. I know it has happened before, but it wouldn't be a common occurrence.

30 cent variant test markets:

Baltimore, Grand Rapids, MI, San Antonio, Albuquerque, San Jose and one other place.

35 cent variant test markets:

Memphis, Huntsville, AL, Xenia or Zanesville, OH, and some other places:

35centletter.jpg

I will swear I read somewhere that they were distributed in Florida.
\

I bought 2 big 30-cent lots from Florida and have seen 35-centers in the PA area a lot more than would be regular if there wasn't a test city in that state.

With all due respect to silverandbronze, I have taken his list and made a small 2 page Excel file with the list of books and a place to check off whether you have the 30 and/or 35 cent variety.

I would be more than happy to send off copies to whomever would like one...simply leave your email and I'll send it right off.

Very cool info! I'm taking my list with me when I do my next round of back issue buying!

With all due respect to silverandbronze, I have taken his list and made a small 2 page Excel file with the list of books and a place to check off whether you have the 30 and/or 35 cent variety.

I would be more than happy to send off copies to whomever would like one...simply leave your email and I'll send it right off.

Very cool info! I'm taking my list with me when I do my next round of back issue buying!

List? Who needs a list? Just commit the entire list to memory...

sumo.gifinsane.gif

I have no idea. I've never counted. I have searched for every issue on ebay countless times and in every store/show I've been to for a while so the individual issue/numbers have started to stick. Actually, because of that sort of repetition, I could probably recognize 75% of them from across the room as being possible variants by just the cover art.

easiest way to remember is the cover dates for the 30 centers: APR - AUG 1976; and remember the 2 exceptions - Inhumans 5, Kazar 16 and don't be fooled by the 3 September 1976 30 cent covers with price logo in circles = Skull the Slayer 7, Marvel Superheroes 59, and Marvel Tales 71

One thing that confused me at first - Marvel two in One 15-18 are variants, but 14? Did that come out in March 1976, ie. go from bimonthly to monthly title after May 1976? Damn bi's - they try to get you from all sides tongue.gif

Now have fun hunting