• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,720 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2022 at 7:13 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Really looking forward to seeing where these two L.B. Cole's hammer. I know they likely won't come close to either Mask issue, but still awesome covers!

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.10.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.10.48 PM.png

:gossip: only one is an LB Cole cover...

On 6/3/2022 at 7:06 AM, tth2 said:

Maybe it's because the movie sucked and underperformed, so while he might remain a character in the MCU he's not going to be a major character.  But probably mostly because there are a zillion 9.8 copies, 90% of which have come out into the market since prices started moving up.

1. Over printed

2. Outside the comic book community, the book has a character that has racist stereotype.

3. Inside the comic book community, the character did not maintain comic book sales before and after the film.

4. Outside the character name, the movie and the comic book have different origins that both the star and Disney's Kevin Feige want nothing part of publicly. 

On 6/4/2022 at 12:33 PM, catch21 said:

1. Over printed

2. Outside the comic book community, the book has a character that has racist stereotype.

3. Inside the comic book community, the character did not maintain comic book sales before and after the film.

4. Outside the character name, the movie and the comic book have different origins that both the star and Disney's Kevin Feige want nothing part of publicly. 

Plus the Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fight-ting craze ended around 1976.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:41 AM, Terry JSA said:

Whoever won this book got it for a steal. Also, it would’ve been mine if someone didn’t outbid me by $250.

9BC384C2-7FA9-48EA-9EDF-6AE698512B86.jpeg

When I saw this sale, I incorrectly remembered a comparable sale years ago, and then realized it was a Wonder Woman 1 CGC 2.0 I was thinking of that sold for about this price. So yeah solid deal for AS8!

On 6/2/2022 at 12:15 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Was this a good sale? I don’t know what this book goes for, but feels low. I just don’t know though.

108AB72A-BCDF-44FB-9A7F-E2F1D5818F63.jpeg

I regret not making a play for that. I have a lower-grade restored copy, but I would've happily moved some of my current inventory for this book.

I noticed these books ending on c-link, and I've never seen them before. To be honest, pre-code horror, and the early crime stuff is somewhat new to me. I've just started getting into early books by artists like L.B. Cole, and I've only started noticing big golden age sales from those genres. Not saying I haven't noticed this stuff before to a degree, but just haven't paid as much attention and mainly concentrated on DC and Timely. You know, Action Comics, Superman, Captain America, Marvel Mystery, Detective Comics, etc... I guess my question is has this stuff exploded as of late or has it always been this sought after and sold for soo much? Granted I'm not sure if these are selling for a good price at the moment, but I just mean these kind of books in general I've started to notice can go for ALOT! And even in low grade.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.16.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.16.36 AM.png

Edited by LDarkseid1

How come C-Link doesn't get million dollar books to come to auction really ever? Do big book owners just feel CC and mainly Heritage produces better results for those kind of books? I mean lot's of awesome books come up for sale with C-Link, but mainly seems to be in the $100K-$500K range. Those are predominantly high grade silver keys, mid grade AF15's and low grade golden age mega grails. Anyway, wonder if that will change at some point, but who knows.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:41 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

How come C-Link doesn't get million dollar books to come to auction really ever? Do big book owners just feel CC and mainly Heritage produces better results for those kind of books? I mean lot's of awesome books come up for sale with C-Link, but mainly seems to be in the $100K-$500K range. Those are predominantly high grade silver keys, mid grade AF15's and low grade golden age mega grails. Anyway, wonder if that will change at some point, but who knows.

This is kind of an odd thing.  It seems to me that the audience for any of these sites is the same (although I'm sure we all have our favorite) so it should come down to what the seller is familiar with, or commission levels or perhaps who is being more aggressive at marketing for or searching out these books.  It's also interesting to me that CL has a bunch of books shown from previous auctions claiming "highest price" which I'm sure is true at the grades/paper quality etc listed.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:07 PM, MattTheDuck said:

This is kind of an odd thing.  It seems to me that the audience for any of these sites is the same (although I'm sure we all have our favorite) so it should come down to what the seller is familiar with, or commission levels or perhaps who is being more aggressive at marketing for or searching out these books.  It's also interesting to me that CL has a bunch of books shown from previous auctions claiming "highest price" which I'm sure is true at the grades/paper quality etc listed.

Yeah I just mean, it's always discussed when someone says, where should I sell my books, people always say do Heritage, CC and C-link. So it's pretty well established as a top 3. Yet, now that I look at their site, I'm not even sure they've ever sold a book that broke a mil. I think the recent FF1 (other grading company) 9.4 that went for like $980K is the closest. As far as the reason, all of your suggestions seem plausible to me. All I know is, it seems Heritage definitely gets the cream of the crop, with CC in second and maybe even a distant second regarding consistency, and C-link not even on the playing field, when it comes to mega mega books. But I mean at the end of the day they all sell awesome books, sometimes weak, sometimes exceptional sales.

On 6/8/2022 at 3:13 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I noticed these books ending on c-link, and I've never seen them before. To be honest, pre-code horror, and the early crime stuff is somewhat new to me. I've just started getting into early books by artists like L.B. Cole, and I've only started noticing big golden age sales from those genres. Not saying I haven't noticed this stuff before to a degree, but just haven't paid as much attention and mainly concentrated on DC and Timely. You know, Action Comics, Superman, Captain America, Marvel Mystery, Detective Comics, etc... I guess my question is has this stuff exploded as of late or has it always been this sought after and sold for soo much? Granted I'm not sure if these are selling for a good price at the moment, but I just mean these kind of books in general I've started to notice can go for ALOT! And even in low grade.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.16.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.16.36 AM.png

There have always been active collectors of this material but PCH books haven't always been as desirable as they are now. When I first joined the boards there were a few threads considering whether prices would go up, down, or sideways. In the past decade they have steadily appreciated and in the last five-ish years prices have really taken off.

Edited by The-Collector

On 6/2/2022 at 9:50 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Wow this book has tanked! Wasn’t it going for $15K+ at one point in a 9.8? I think the movie did well enough, and will definitely see more Shang Chi in future Marvel movies. Don’t understand why it’s gone down soo much.

762E695D-CE61-4A41-9398-E57896559B67.jpeg

Maybe because it's a movie related hype book and it's pretty hard to beat the past historical trends for these books after the movie comes out.  :tonofbricks:

Just take a look at the prices for Eternals 1 and a book like Marvel Super-Heroes 13 which used to sell for multiples to condition guide during the hype prior to the release of the movie, but now can sell only with a big discount to condition guide value.  :gossip:

On 8/13/2022 at 2:52 AM, The-Collector said:

Though there have always been active collectors PCH books haven't always been as desirable as they are now. When I first joined the boards there were a few threads considering whether prices would go up, down, or sideways. In the past decade they have steadily appreciated and in the last five-ish years prices have really taken off.

Now that prices have increased, more books will probably get slabbed. That will give a better idea of which books are scarce and which are not.  More books may shake out as having sought-after covers. You might see books that don't make the cut cooling off after a while.

On 8/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, lou_fine said:
On 6/3/2022 at 12:50 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Wow this book has tanked! Wasn’t it going for $15K+ at one point in a 9.8? I think the movie did well enough, and will definitely see more Shang Chi in future Marvel movies. Don’t understand why it’s gone down soo much.

762E695D-CE61-4A41-9398-E57896559B67.jpeg

Expand  

Maybe because it's a movie related hype book and it's pretty hard to beat the past historical trends for these books after the movie comes out.  :tonofbricks:

Just take a look at the prices for Eternals 1 and a book like Marvel Super-Heroes 13 which used to sell for multiples to condition guide during the hype prior to the release of the movie, but now can sell only with a big discount to condition guide value.  :gossip:

It's no so much why these books are selling for so much less now, but why they ever sold for so much in the first place.  

It's amazing to me that with all the historical information and data available to people today, it's still so easy to part fools from their money.

The movie hype train is powerful, inflating values out of FOMO.  Great for sellers, terrible for collectors looking to fill their collection. Even though the comic falls back down again, it never hits where it was previously. 

On 8/13/2022 at 5:30 AM, tth2 said:

It's no so much why these books are selling for so much less now, but why they ever sold for so much in the first place.  

It's amazing to me that with all the historical information and data available to people today, it's still so easy to part fools from their money.

gee tell us what you REALLY think!   Fearless!  : )

On 8/13/2022 at 6:55 AM, Forbush-Man said:

The movie hype train is powerful, inflating values out of FOMO.  Great for sellers, terrible for collectors looking to fill their collection. Even though the comic falls back down again, it never hits where it was previously. 

On the other hand, it could also be great for long term collectors who have been sitting on this book for decades ever since buying them for what was then probably considered to be rip-off prices of $2 a pop or thereabouts for such a common back issue book.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :banana:  :whee:

Then again, the real real big winners out of this FOMO driven rocket rise and eventuall fall would be the pressing and grading companies, especially since they've probably got thousands of copies still waiting to be processed even as market prices are falling on these books.  :flipbait:

Edited by lou_fine